Sponsored by:

Jack Stands

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jack Stands

Som of you guys are using the Jackpoint jackstands. Honestly, by the time you purchase four of the damn thing you're up to around $800.00 and in my opinion the stands are too low. There has got to be some better solutions. We need to brainstorm this and figure something out for the DIY'r.

Any good ideas? Any other outfits offering something better for a more reasonable price?

I like the guy that installed the hydraulic jack in the floor of his garage but that looks expensive.

BTW Rotes....it's on'.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The next best solution is a proper auto lift... but that takes up WAY more space and also costs way more. I think the jack-stand solution is a good middle ground.

or you can jack up the car from non-standard jack points and take your chances.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

I'm going to keep searching for a better solution. At some point I know I going to be replacing a clutch and the Jackpoint system isn't tall enough for that. I'm going to look for a stealthy lift.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

I think those jack stands in your avatar will do just fine.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

See that's the problem. She is using the Jackpoint system that isn't tall enough.

LOL

I'm trying to dethrone Rotes for having the best Avatar.

Originally Posted by Yellow996
I think those jack stands in your avatar will do just fine.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:09 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=I'm trying to dethrone Rotes for having the best Avatar.[/QUOTE]

Old 03-06-2013, 06:35 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
Som of you guys are using the Jackpoint jackstands. Honestly, by the time you purchase four of the damn thing you're up to around $800.00 and in my opinion the stands are too low. There has got to be some better solutions. We need to brainstorm this and figure something out for the DIY'r.

Any good ideas? Any other outfits offering something better for a more reasonable price?

I like the guy that installed the hydraulic jack in the floor of his garage but that looks expensive.

BTW Rotes....it's on'.
Maybe it's nit picking but Rennlist paid member (Addict) price for 4 is currently below $600 ($558 plus shipping). There are some options for getting more height too. We're glad to help if you have questions for a particular job. Unfortunately they're expensive because it's a custom casting that starts with $60 worth of raw material and takes 2-3 people to make a single stand - at least for now. In other words they're not in automated production and still made one at a time with a new mold needed for each casting. It's an expensive process.
We were offered the opportunity to lower the price by 30%. Invest $753,000 and move the production to China. We prefer to keep production in the USA.
I applaud your demand for a better solution that's how Jackpoint Jackstands started. We're not THE solution, we're just an alternative - and we realize a lower price point would be better. We're working on it and if the price drops you'll hear it on Rennlist first. Thanks
Old 03-06-2013, 07:09 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO... I think that the system is worth every penny. I have the jack and the stands, and could not be happier. The design is ingenious, is plenty high for my purposes, (especially in an apt. garage where I cannot install a full lift), and saves steps in getting the car on stands without lifting at the wrong points.

The initial investment seemed a bit high, but all of the equipment is top grade.

And, +1 to the guys for keeping manufacturing in country!! That's worth quite a bit to me as well. (Said the German car owner... I know, I know)
Old 03-06-2013, 07:47 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokane5150

BTW Rotes....it's on'.
Yea you're right. I use them when I have to take off the wheels otherwise I use my parking lift to get underneath. I considered a scissors jack but the weight seemed a little heavy and I would have to move it in order to park. I recall someone recessed their garage floor to accommodate a scissor jack and that to me looked like a great option. What I want is my own commercial garage!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:11 PM
redliner2856
Cruisin'

Ezcarlift is another alternative that lifts 26" max, is portable lifts the whole car at once, but is expensive at 2 grand! Check it out .....ezcarlift.com
Old 03-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Cool....I'll check it out. Thanks for the lead.

Originally Posted by redliner2856
Ezcarlift is another alternative that lifts 26" max, is portable lifts the whole car at once, but is expensive at 2 grand! Check it out .....ezcarlift.com
Old 03-06-2013, 08:24 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

There's no shame in transferring this business to China or Korea. If you can double your business and capitalize I recommend it. Make em out of WCB. Considering that you can buy 4-jack stands for $100 the $500 difference plus shipping is pretty expensive. The concept is fantastic and I suspect that the stands do the majority of DIY projects like oil changes and brakes. Good luck with your sourcing.

Originally Posted by jpoint
Maybe it's nit picking but Rennlist paid member (Addict) price for 4 is currently below $600 ($558 plus shipping). There are some options for getting more height too. We're glad to help if you have questions for a particular job. Unfortunately they're expensive because it's a custom casting that starts with $60 worth of raw material and takes 2-3 people to make a single stand - at least for now. In other words they're not in automated production and still made one at a time with a new mold needed for each casting. It's an expensive process.
We were offered the opportunity to lower the price by 30%. Invest $753,000 and move the production to China. We prefer to keep production in the USA.
I applaud your demand for a better solution that's how Jackpoint Jackstands started. We're not THE solution, we're just an alternative - and we realize a lower price point would be better. We're working on it and if the price drops you'll hear it on Rennlist first. Thanks
Old 03-06-2013, 08:51 PM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm getting a lift later in the summer. You can have one for way less than $2000.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:20 PM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

You can outsource the first 100 to China, then the rest will be sold as copies through harbor freight.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:35 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 216 Posts

Greg Smith Equipment has a mid rise lift at about $1295. I helped install one of their 4 post lifts at a friend's house - impressive.

Quick Reply: Jack Stands