Sponsored by:

Jackpoint jackstands

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 07:52 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Jackpoint jackstands

I think there has a thread on this some time ago so my question today is, for those that have them do you regret the purchase as their price point is somewhat high. Also are you satisfied with the height it raises the car? When wanting to put the car on four stands do you use one jackpoint say on each rear jacking point and then just slip a normal jackstand under the front jacking point. Yes some of these questions may have obvious answers but before purchasing I'm looking for as much information as possible. Thanks
Old 03-04-2013, 02:55 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought 4 JP stands a year ago and love them. The initial price is steep, but once you have them, you will forget about the price. With 4 stands it is very easy and secure to get the car in the air and feel good about working in safe comnditions. Short of dropping the engine, they give fine clearance for almost any job. Since I run on the track I do oil chnage and brake work quite often, and for that they are perfect.

IMHO I think the 4 JP stands are the way to go, but if you only want 2 stands and then supplement with other jack stands you can do it pretty simply. But once you see the quality difference, you may decide 4 JP stands makes sense for you too.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:01 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

I also bought 4 stands. They work so well I put the car up every month or so for wheel-well detailing.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:27 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I bought 4 too. they feel much more secure than other jackstands and the height is fine for most jobs short of engine drop. It might be a stretch to drop the trans and get it out from underneath the car but i think it can be done.

If you get under the car often i think these are a great deal actually. It's a huge time saver to get the car in the air rather than a lot of dancing around and checking every stand like you'd normally do. I think a big part of the benefit is how sturdy they are when you've only got half the car jacked and are adding more stands- feels much more secure than a normal stand.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you get them, do spend the money and get the dolly... its sooo much easier to roll those beasts to the car than carry them.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:27 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Are there pics of the exact jack points for the stands? I don't know if the points changed over the years, but my car is a '76.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:46 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are great. I bought the standard height pads which means I have to prejack the first one. This means jacking the car up using just the jack to lift the wheel onto a couple of layers of wood. The car is then high enough off the ground to lift it with the pad on top of the jack. You only need to do this for the first wheel because once you have a jackpoint jack stand under one corner the others jack points are high enough.

The advantages of the standard height pads is that they also have a groove cut in them so use can use them on cars with a pinch seam jacking point. The taller central part of the pad also keeps the flat bottom part of the pad away from the plastic trim around the jack points.

I used a pair on the back to change the spark plugs. The back of the car is lifted slightly higher in this configuration than when it's on all 4 jack stands. I can get one of the rear wheels under the engine as an extra precaution. However when it's on all four jack stands I struggle to get the rear wheel under the engine. This could be because I have 305 wide tyres and also a sump guard fitted.

The stands are solid and big to the point where I have to be careful carrying them around the vehicle.

My only issue with them is aligning the base under the pad is a little tricky and I usually have to make a couple of adjustments when lowering the pad onto the base.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:07 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Well worth the price... I have a pair. Made all the difference in the world with my DIY projects. BTW, these are made in the US, finish done by hand, and made one at a time via case molding... so very expensive to produce. The product has been tested to 10,000 lbs without any defamation, yield, and/or deflection. A safe way of working on the car. Make sure you mention that you're an addict for the RL discount...

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 03-04-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:58 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

As mentioned above, if you have an S car or if you have PASM on the non-s you'll need to drive onto a 2x4 or use a super-low floor jack to start the process. I just have a super-low jack.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:15 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I am going to buy probably 4 of these, but I am not decided on the standard or lower pads. My car is stock Height, I think the standard would work, but not sure. I like that the standard gives a higher height after it is up in the air.

These cars are not that low to the ground Stock, I have a 2010 C2S.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:26 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

My C2S has PASM and soon to be lowered with the Spasm springs so the low profile is the way to go for me from what people have said.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:34 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

yeah, I have the low profile and I use this jack on a PASM car and it barely fits (without driving on 2x4s etc).

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-4000-...p-00950239000P

you might be able to remove the cup on the jack and replace with something to get the jack just a bit lower to work with SPASM.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:52 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is an S with PASM and as I mentioned above I first need to jack one of the wheels up and slide a peice of wood under it in order to get the car raised enough such that I can get the standard pad on my jack.

I was a bit concerned looking at the height of the lowered pads that the base will interfear with the plastic panels under the car. I've just popped to the garage to take these pictures for you :-) This is the rear taken from the side:

Taken from the front:

In the above picture there is about 2.5cm between the base of the pad and the plastic on the outer (right hand) side. However on the inside (left hand) side it's only about 1cm. I couldn't capture it very well with a camera.

The front jack points don't pose a problem:

The car up on all 4 jackpoint jack stands:

Old 03-04-2013, 10:26 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you for sharing, these are definately on my short list. While my CPO is in place I think I am going to get work done at the dealer, their prices are not that bad. After that I want to do as much work as I can.

Also I have 2 sets of wheels I will change every year or so when I feel like I want a change.

I also have an exhaust I need to install, I am assuming this will make it much easier as well.

Now the choice of 2 or 4.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:56 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by MessyMarvin
I am going to buy probably 4 of these, but I am not decided on the standard or lower pads. My car is stock Height, I think the standard would work, but not sure. I like that the standard gives a higher height after it is up in the air.

These cars are not that low to the ground Stock, I have a 2010 C2S.
I've been using the low profile pads with my JackPoints. My '08 C2S has stock suspension with PASM. I'm sure I could have gone with the standard pads instead as I have another 1"+ left using my low profile 2.75" jack. So it really depends on the height of your jack and whether or not you have a lowered suspension setup.

+1 on the 4 JackPoints. I plan on getting another pair to complete my set in the near future.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 03-04-2013 at 11:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Jackpoint jackstands