Sponsored by:

Check Engine Visit Workshop

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 02:53 AM
wilson93
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Visit Workshop

Today the check engine light on my 997 4c popped up. I browsed through the forums and most people say it's usually a problem with a fuel cap or a sensor error.

I read in other threads that if I reset the battery the notice should go away. If I reset the battery, will the notice come back up if there really is a problem? The reason I'm asking is I wanna check if it's a "false alarm" as I'm not able to take it to a mechanic until the end of the week.

For those of you that have experienced this before, what's your advice? Do you think it's safe to drive the car?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:54 AM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, the best answer here, if you want information before taking your car in, is to search the forum. There are dozens of threads about this. The CEL is a pretty global diagnostic "blanket" that covers many OBD codes. The only way to know those codes is to download them into a reader. The well known auto stores usually will do this for you for free, but that won't solve your problem. You are correct that little things can cause this, like a loose fuel cap. I am, sadly, a long term sufferer with the CEL that has been an issue for over 2 years with my 05. My car is a dramatic exception to the rule, but the message you are getting is the same as mine and it has, at this point, probably caused the car to be in the shop for a cumulative month and cost about $9 grand, and I still have the light on today!
Use the search on the forum, get the codes and go from there. Good luck!
Old 03-04-2013, 07:36 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 365 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by wilson93
Today the check engine light on my 997 4c popped up. I browsed through the forums and most people say it's usually a problem with a fuel cap or a sensor error.

I read in other threads that if I reset the battery the notice should go away. If I reset the battery, will the notice come back up if there really is a problem? The reason I'm asking is I wanna check if it's a "false alarm" as I'm not able to take it to a mechanic until the end of the week.

For those of you that have experienced this before, what's your advice? Do you think it's safe to drive the car?
It will most likely come back if the problem is not fixed(like a loose gas cap).
I wouldn't suggest resetting the CEL without reading the code/s. If you can't go to a shop,try at least to have the code/s read by a local auto store.
Post them here along with the mileage on your car?
Any work done recently on the car?
I would also try to do this ASAP and don't drive it too much before we make sure it's minor or more serious.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:44 PM
pnwc4s
Rennlist Member

Hi! I agree with neanicu - I wouldn't just clear the CEL and hope it goes away. Buy an OBD2 scanner at an auto parts store for like $20 and read the codes to make sure it's not anything serious. And try not to drive it until you know more!
Old 03-04-2013, 02:40 PM
swajames
Racer

Only ever had one CEL on my 997, and it turned out to be a slight leak in the vacuum hose in the air intake. Easily found and easily fixed under warranty. Only symptom anything was wrong was a minor misfire at the precise moment the CEL light first came on. The dealer found it and fixed it quickly.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Battery won't reset it. You can reset with a durametric or take it to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Visit Workshop