Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it advisable to build oil pressure before first start of the season?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Doug_B_928
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Is it advisable to build oil pressure before first start of the season?

I'm looking forward to the forthcoming driving season . In anticipation of my car's first start of the season (997.1 C2S), I'm wondering if it's advisable to get the engine up to pressure before firing. I recall hearing that with the sump system on these cars there is no concern about having oil in the cylinders, but not sure if that applies to a car that hasn't run in 6 months. If it is advisable, what's the best way to do it? I've read that one can pull the "DME relay." Would it be better to pull the fuel pump relay or just the fuel pump fuse?
Old 03-02-2013, 10:32 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Crank baby crank

2005 C2S here and I do it every 2-3 weeks when car is in storage. Just pull 20A fuel pump fuse and crank the engine until oil pressure builds all the way up to 5 bars. It takes about 10-15 seconds. Then I trickle recharge my battery (when car is in storage).
A bit extra work for the starter, but starters are much cheaper than engines. So, it rally makes sense to store your car with fresh oil.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
=L=
Old 03-03-2013, 02:07 AM
Doug_B_928
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Okay, good to know, I'll pull the fuel pump fuse. What's the logic of doing it so often when the car isn't going to be fired? Makes me wonder what is the window. E.g., if the car sits for a week or two without being started, should one do this? Maybe it's also a good idea to do this before the first start after an oil and filter change.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:14 AM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Logic

Logic? Rotating equipment needs to be ..... Rotated, you guessed it.
Frequency may be debated. It's my car and I am passionate about it.
Oil change? I always fill the filter canister with fresh oil before installing. It takes about 1/2 L of oil. Good enough.
Speaking of oil, Motul does the job for me.
Cheers,
=L=

Quick Reply: Is it advisable to build oil pressure before first start of the season?