Sponsored by:

Alarm randomly going off

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 01:08 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts
Default Alarm randomly going off

In the last several weeks, my alarm has triggered 3-4 times with zero contact with the car. 2 times it was right outside my office window and I've been able to disarm right from my desk. A third time it was going off after taking my daughter into daycare. Any thoughts on what the culprit could be? New battery put into the car probably 2+ months ago now. Possibly related? Appreciate any thoughts everyone might have. Thanks!!
Old 02-25-2013, 01:52 PM
BoomC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

This has happened to me too and I believe I read in this forum that it has happened to others. One thing I saw had to do with microwave ovens. I think I can tie mine to that since it seems to only happen in my garage and the microwave was used around the same time. As with your event, nothing messing with the car.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:12 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

the car sits right outside my office window and i know nothing touched or was even close to my car this morning when it went off. this same scenario happened at my office a week or two ago. simply going off on it's own.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:31 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

RSA,
I had the same issue but sometimes hours after I had locked the car. For now I do a double tap on the lock door and it does not set the interior sensor, just locks the car and alarms it. Click on it, then click again a half second later. You typically get a double flash for the alarm being set. If you double click it the right way the lower lights will stay on for about 2 seconds indicating the car is locked and alarmed but the interior sensor is turned off. Hope that makes sense
Caesar

Last edited by Little Green; 02-25-2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: I was incorrect and fixed my post. Thanks to Brennan for the correction
Old 02-25-2013, 02:38 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Green
RSA,
I had the same issue but sometimes hours after I had locked the car. For now I do a double tap on the lock door and it does not set the alarm, just locks the car. Click on it, then click again a half second later. You typically get a double flash for the alarm being set. If you double click it the right way the lower lights will stay on for about 2 seconds indicating the car is locked but not alarmed. Hope that makes sense
Caesar
Actually what your process does is disable the interior motion sensor - the car is still locked and alarmed. OP should try this and see if the fault is with the interior motion sensor. From the owner's manual:

Deactivating the passenger compartment monitoring system for one locking process

If a person or animal remains in the car while it is locked, the passenger compartment monitoring system must be switched off. Quickly lock car twice. The doors are locked but can be opened from the inside
1. Pull inner door handle once to unlock door lock.
2. Pull inner door handle again to open door.

Note
Inform any person remaining in the car that the alarm system will be triggered if the door is opened.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:27 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

Awesome, thanks for the tip, I thought I was shutting my alarm off.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:55 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I had this issue with another car because water had gotten into the switch of the trunk due to heavy blowing rains. Assuming that that is not the issue...

as others have said, the alarm has an interior monitoring system that looks for intrusion inside the car - say someone breaks a window and reaches in or reaches in through an open window or sunroof. I think that system uses some sort of radio frequency of course, and transmitters of some types can confuse the system into thinking there is someone entering the car through an opening.

Try disabling that interior monitoring, as mentioned. It does sound like a funny thing if having a microwave within sight of the locked car can trigger the alarm, but that frequency range is probably close to the alarm systems interior space monitoring system.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:35 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
If a person or animal remains in the car while it is locked, the passenger compartment monitoring system must be switched off. Quickly lock car twice. The doors are locked but can be opened from the inside
1. Pull inner door handle once to unlock door lock.
2. Pull inner door handle again to open door.
Great info, guys. I will attempt the double lock method, disarming the interior system, and see how that works. Much appreciated!! Love the info available here.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:45 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

locked with the quick double-tap lock this morning (single long light flash). hopefully, this is going to cure the alarm issue as i really don't need the interior sensor with windows up and doors locked. thanks again.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Let us know how it turns out after a few weeks.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:34 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 996. I used the Durametric reader to see what was going on, and it had several faults from the radio. I suspected that the radio thought it was being stolen, and told the computer to raise a fuss.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:42 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJBird993
I had a similar problem with my 996. I used the Durametric reader to see what was going on, and it had several faults from the radio. I suspected that the radio thought it was being stolen, and told the computer to raise a fuss.
interesting. thanks michael. what was the end result?

just to keep everyone up to date - as long as i double tap, i've had no issues. i forgot and single locked at our day care the other day and when i came out the lights were flashing. i assume the alarm had already stopped sounding. no problems again if i double tap.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:24 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

There is a motion sensor in the center console which often times breaks by frequent opening and closing of compartment. I found the easiest fix was just double clicking the remote just as you are doing.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:47 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
interesting. thanks michael. what was the end result?
Just as mysteriously as it showed up, one day it just stopped doing it. I sold the car about a year later.

Sounds to me like your problem is the motion sensor, which should be a relatively inexpensive fix, right?
Old 03-01-2013, 05:31 AM
Gerg
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine falses in rainy or cold weather. I suspect the frunk sensor.

Quick Reply: Alarm randomly going off