Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No options

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks guys, really appreciate the comments. I figure any 997 I buy will get its wheels changed out. I really like the way my 993 rides with Bilstein PSS 9 coil overs. I assume they would give similar ride on a 997. I do figure on changing out steering wheel and seats. Definitely an exhaust mod would be done.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:54 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 455 Posts

For a stripper it depends on what you wan to do with it. Race, daily driver, or weekend driver. I'd say IF the color combo is right/acceptable and more importantly the price then why not go ahead and get it? As many have said and the OP also has noted....you can add both OEM and aftermarket items to improve the car as desired. I added PSE to my 1st 997.2 cause it didn't have one and exhaust was important. Wheels can be swapped out and now a adays you can add PCM 3.1 Nav as needed and option an aftermarket workaround for things like Sat Radio, Ipod, and BT with Dension products or NavTV and such. Plenty of suspension options both aftermarket and some retrofitable OEM and tons of aesthetic cosmetic adds ons to do so you can STILL tune and mod the car to your taste if wanted and likely at less cost than sitting at the Porsche options screen at your local dealership.

So i'd say don't count it out as that stripper 997 may just give you the clean slate to add to as you desire to build the car YOU want and will drive and enjoy... especially if you keep it long term. think..of it as an open canvas man; ready for you to paint on!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,799 Likes on 1,096 Posts

My 997.2 is very low options, by design. I wish it had manual seats and came with 18" wheels since I swapped them anyway. I like simplicity in my sports cars. I feel it gives a purer experience. I don't like electronic gizmos and add ons unless they are guaranteed to increase performance. Plus electronics, suspension, exhaust, interior can all be updated easily. I have a 2013 550i for luxury/DD.

If the car were my DD, I'd opt for a few more creature comforts, however. That said, I put quite a few miles on my car and I never miss any of the gadgets my BMW has. The driving experience is just too much fun.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:55 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 235 Posts

Wolfk we should compare notes (fire me a PM) as I too am looking at a base Carrera with some options and the dealer has gone down on price quite a bit. I'd be interested to see what I'm getting for a deal vs what you are for your stripper...
Old 02-24-2013, 04:02 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I think the key reasons my '10 sat on the lot for 18months waiting for me were:
- no power seats (which I view as a plus)
- manual transmission
- SPASM (honey, this car rides too rough)

I'm glad it sat there and depreciated 20+K; drifted into the painful upper end of my price range.

I'm a fan of "stripper" cars. I ordered my 987s from the factory with very low options. The only one I regretted was not paying the $500 for auto climate control.

The '11.5 M3 I had while the 997S was sitting on the lot depreciating was a near zero option car as well. Just the competition pack. No sunroof; no power seats. Fast and relatively simple.

Just another POV.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:33 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Lots of options or few, there is a buyer for every car.

I just wouldn't ever be that buyer for that car..

Quick Reply: No options