Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bringing my porche to the states...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013 | 05:32 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hakaida702
A guy I met here in vegas who is in the air force bought a bmw in germany and when he got transferred here, he brought his car over. I know its not a porsche, but he didn't make it sound like it was a big hassle to bring it over.
He most likely bought it U.S. spec'd so that he would have no issues returning stateside with it. The European manufactures have a program like that for the U.S. servicemen. Not much different that buying from a dealer here in the U.S. and taken the delivery in Europe.
Old 02-21-2013 | 11:16 PM
daberlin
Racer

Originally Posted by CAVU
He most likely bought it U.S. spec'd so that he would have no issues returning stateside with it. The European manufactures have a program like that for the U.S. servicemen. Not much different that buying from a dealer here in the U.S. and taken the delivery in Europe.
That is exactly what he did. I've bought many cars via the Diplomatic and Military Sales program. Pick the car up in the factory (in my case lots of Volvos), drop it off at the end of the tour, and it ships back to the US.

The key here is the OPs car is NOT a US DOT spec car. It may look, sound, and feel just like our cars, but it won't be treated that way by DOT. The actual modifications necessary to make the car DOT legal might be minimal. But it is the cost of the certification process that can be incredibly expensive. And as for argument sake, going with a California registration? Ugh. I can't even imagine the cost for emissions certification for that. Buy one here. Best advice.
Old 02-21-2013 | 11:50 PM
daberlin
Racer

This post caused me to go back through my photo archives. Fun trip down memory lane! This picture is what a US spec '98 VW Golf GTI looks like in the UK. Note the headlight mods. Gee, looking at this car now, it needed some serious lowering.

Old 02-22-2013 | 01:55 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I don't believe it's as difficult as it used to be. Germany has essentially adopted many of the US DOT (safety) features in the Carrera. EPA (emissions) are also very similar, believe it or not. I would contact Porsche AG to see what you have to do. For DOT, the biggest headache will be to swap out the instrument panel to have the speed displayed as MPH.
Old 02-22-2013 | 10:33 AM
997C2
Advanced

I don't think it's cost effective even if it works but I guarantee you a lot of headaches and the risk that the car is here and you can't get it registered. First, EU cars don't have VINs. Even if you can get a VIN for your car here, can you get insurance? The VIN will not be recognized by insurance carriers as a regular VIN.
At least you have to change your electrics as the lights are used differently. Not sure about emissions, side impact, etc.
Again, 911 prices are cheaper here in the US than in Germany. Sell your car in GE, take advantage of the exchange rate (over 1.30) and buy your dream car here. There are plenty of 911 on the market and I am sure you find what you want.
Now, on the other hand if you bring a US 911 to GE it's much easier. I have taken a Triumph TR6 from the US to GE and it was not difficult. A few things are important, you must own the car 6 months before you import the car and then you can't sell it within the next 12 months. Otherwise you have to pay import duty (10%) and VAT (19%).
Old 02-22-2013 | 10:35 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

My aunt brought her sl Mercedes back from Germany. You can do it.

Quick Reply: bringing my porche to the states...