Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dectane Depo LED Tail light condensation / fog - I know it has ben covered

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 02:34 PM
therock88
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Dectane Depo LED Tail light condensation / fog - I know it has ben covered

So I have read every thread regarding the Dectane/ Depo 997.2 style LED taillight replacements for the 997.1. It is apparent that the LED's do not give off enough (or any) heat to keep the moisture / condensation / fog out of the clear section in the middle.

I started with leaving the unit sealed...and it fogged a little.....I read about taking off the two clear plastic vent caps and fabric to allow them to breathe....I have done that. I try running with them ON and with them OFF just on when braking etc.....Still get fog. It is about 20 - 30 degrees F here, but sucks to spend that much on lights and have no way to keep them from fogging.

Some say when they removed the plugs it cleared up...I have not been so lucky. Only driven a handful of times for short distances though...Maybe it needs more time??

So the lights are near the engine compartment, which produces plenty of "free" heat. And I am starting to think like a mad scientist now....

Would appreciate thoughts on if I just need to wait a bit with the caps off, or if I should start experimenting? And would appreciate thoughts on if my idea would create any other potential issues (it is not fully baked yet)

I am thinking of possibly trying to get some tubing the size of the vent holes on the light and trying to see if I can connect one end to thee lights and the other somehow in the engine compartment to have heat "pumped" in, in lieu of incandescent bulbs?? Maybe a dumb idea... I am just trying to think of a way to get some heat in there to dry the moisture!???

Thoughts, jokes, ideas, solutions, sympathy, etc...Appreciated

THANKS!!!

PS Also posted on 6Speed
Old 02-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Steve/K2WE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the Dectane lights on my '07 targa now for over a year now in hot and very cold weather with no moisture problems. LED lights really don't put out any heat..I'm really not sure if your idea will work or not..

Good Luck

Steve in Saratoga Springs, NY

Sent from Delray Beach, FL
Old 02-23-2013, 03:23 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve/K2WE
I've had the Dectane lights on my '07 targa now for over a year now in hot and very cold weather with no moisture problems. LED lights really don't put out any heat..I'm really not sure if your idea will work or not..

Good Luck

Steve in Saratoga Springs, NY

Sent from Delray Beach, FL
+1, mine Dectane's also been flawless... knock on wood!

Quick Reply: Dectane Depo LED Tail light condensation / fog - I know it has ben covered