Sponsored by:

Rear window rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 11:09 PM
spittingcobra
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear window rattle

My car's rear window rattles at lower gears when accelerating but is not too noisy at higher gears. I have hear spraying silicone works and so does felt tapes. Not sure how to go about either correctly. I have both with me and want to get rid of this irritation.

Should I just spray the gaps for starters and check it out?

Any tips appreciated. I have searched the forums but not seen any posting by 997.1 owners.

The noise drives me crazy, its like a tap dripping slowly...
Old 02-16-2013, 11:37 AM
jeffrec
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem and posted something months ago with no good responses yet. Unless you can appreciate comments such as "turn the stereo up" or "it's a sports car what do you expect" I'm not sure you will get a lot of response. I have tried silicon spray and felt tape as well. If you get some sage advice please post a response. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:18 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Sorry for no responses for you guys, but it is somewhat unusual to have a rattle from a window. Are you sure this is a case? Some rattles are annoyingly difficult to pinpoint to a certain area. I know this is not much help, but I'd start with somebody in the back double-checking where the rattle is coming from and then trying to stop it by pressing in different areas. Once you confirm it then there are always options on fixing it. And as you might know sometimes it is difficult to say if sound comes from the back or front of you. Just need to check carefully. Hate them rattles!
Old 02-16-2013, 05:28 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 110 Posts

I'm also sorry about the no responses. First are you sure its the window? What I would do is get in the back seat and have someone drive your car and start pressing on interior panels until the noise stops. Try folding down the rear seats, do you have a rear wiper? I do remember someone posting that they had a broken exhaust bracket that rattled. What city do you live in? Maybe someone from this board can help you out. Let us know what you find
Old 02-16-2013, 09:43 PM
spittingcobra
Advanced

Can clearly hear the window vibration noise. No rear wiper in my case. I talked to dealer and he said $140 to just to investigate the source of noise. Turning up the volume is fine but rather have it fixed. One thought is to ask Safelite to simply re-install the window, maybe they might see something.

Tried the silicone and the felt but no real help. I might just have to goto the dealer. Turning up music, how does one enjoy the music of the exhaust.

Thanks guys for the help.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Phantome46
7th Gear

I have exactly the same thing mine seems to be coming from the window as well.

I have I'd putting the window all of the way down but its en very difficult to hear if its stopped due to the wind noise. I tried just cracking the window just to see its where the window touches the roof rubber but that does not seem to work?

I was thinking that it might be the felt strips between the front and rear windows so will need to investigate at the weekend.

If not I'm going to strip the interior rear panels out and the. Drive the car to crack it?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:38 PM
spittingcobra
Advanced

My rattle seems to occur heavily in the cold. If the car/weather is warm, the noise dies out. Went to the dealer and they could not detect the exact cause. They removed linings in the rear and put it back and said the noise had reduced (charged me $70). It however did not reduce. They said it could be from the engine as well.

Not really sure at this point. Taking it in again tomorrow. If anyone has any tips on asking them to check on specific things that would really help.

If my noise subsides when its warmer could it really be the engine? I am more thinking its some expansion that occurs when warmer that keeps some part tighter...
Old 03-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Dunkleblau S
Intermediate

If the noise was a sort of scratching and clicking with an occasional finger nails on the chalk board quality, then I had this noise in my 997.2 C2S, it turns out the clips that hold on the carpeted fascia along the back window were loose. You can test this by pressing on the back portion and should hear the scratching noise. Either the clip can be pushed back in place, or the dealer can intervene.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:41 PM
spittingcobra
Advanced

@Dunkleblau S, thanks much, really appreciate you sharing...that about sounds similar to mine. I akin my noise to having a tree growing along with my engine with its branches constantly brushing against the metal and glass.

My dealer had no clue even on a second visit. Curious whether your case was affected by the weather in any way?
Old 03-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Dunkleblau S
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spittingcobra
Curious whether your case was affected by the weather in any way?
Most welcome

Yes, when it was hot inside the cabin from direct sunlight it tended to be much more irritating and noticeable.

I honestly thought it was coming from the wheel arch/suspension, or inside the engine bay, until out of frustration I went into the back seat and started slapping the carpeted area on the passenger side rear and lo and behold it reproduced the noise the closer I got to the window trim.

Push on the trim directly and you should hear scraping of metal against glass (exactly as you describe) and the trim should give a bit...for it to fix itself you need to give a good push. If it doesnt fix, and you reproduce the noise by pushing on the trim have the dealer fix the clips.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:42 PM
spittingcobra
Advanced

Thanks again :-). I will give this a go and see if its the issue.

Quick Reply: Rear window rattle