Bogus Porsche wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:45 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bogus Porsche wheels

This one was my fault, as I ignored the golden rule...actually two golden rules.
1. If it looks to good to be true, it usually is.
2. There's a sucker born every minute, and two born to take advantage of him.

I cracked a front wheel on a city street, where a small ditch was dug, and left unmarked at night.
I sent it to Wheel Collision, where they have always done a great job.
This time, the wheel was beyond repair and Wheel Collision was all out of stock on replacements .
The dealer is quite happy to order a new one for 1,300.
Off to e bay I went, and what do I find but a beautiful Porsche Claw wheel for 350.00.
Being a bit suspicious, I call and ask specifically if this a replica...and I am assured ( indignantly) that it is a Porsche wheel, manufactured by Porsche's OEM manufacturer.
What shows up does indeed look exactly like a Porsche wheel, although there is no part # stamped.
I get it mounted, and getting ready to install on my garage bound car, I have a sinking feeling when I pick it up...it feels heavy.
Sure enough, I get out the scale, and this "genuine" wheel weighs in at 47.5 lbs. with tire.
I pull my good original wheel, and it weighs 44.9 lbs.
I order a takeoff from Wheel Enhancement and send back the fake.

The seller claims that I'm their only unsatisfied customer...
Be careful out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19-NEW-PORSC...-/321048575630
Old 02-14-2013, 08:23 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry to read, pretty lame!
just forgive yourself first!
don't beat up on yourself for trying to make
a choice you know?
you'll have that money back in no time
Old 02-14-2013, 03:04 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

only clew is that it says its a modularconcepts wheel, this is a aftermarket, it doesnt say anywhere its a genuine porsche factory wheel
Old 02-14-2013, 04:03 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't know how many after market parts over the years I've bought for my VW's, Honda's, and BMW's only to discover they are just inferior junk parts that I then kick myself for buying on the cheap. As painful sometimes as OEM prices are, other manufacturers 'in general' don't meet OEM tolerances regardless of what they claim. I have tried to avoid making this same mistake on my Porsche so far. I still love ebay, and agree you have to read the fine print and ask the right questions. Good luck! D
Old 02-14-2013, 04:12 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

For all we know these wheels are from the OEM factory line but didn't pass the tests to be accepted or were in excess of the order form Porsche and thus never got a part number stamp added to them.

2.6 lbs difference is about 6% heavier. Does anyone have an idea what the mounted weight variations between the same type of wheel and tire typically is? Older wheels have less rubber on them of course, and balancing weights can make a difference. I'm curious how much we can tell from weight differences that small.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

It was weighed against the right side tire, with identical tread..virtually new tires.
My guess is it does come from the same mold, from the same factory, but with a different mix of metals, obviously heavier.
Not rejects, but made to be sold as replica.
Porsche "style" would be an accurate description.

There was no problem getting a full refund..they knew they had a misleading description.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:18 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by okbarnett
only clew is that it says its a modularconcepts wheel, this is a aftermarket, it doesnt say anywhere its a genuine porsche factory wheel
19 NEW PORSCHE OEM

That suckered me in.
Live and learn
Old 02-14-2013, 08:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

We all make mistakes, yours was less painful than most. Glad you got your money back....
Old 02-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by Graygoose997
It was weighed against the right side tire, with identical tread..virtually new tires.
My guess is it does come from the same mold, from the same factory, but with a different mix of metals, obviously heavier.
Not rejects, but made to be sold as replica.
Porsche "style" would be an accurate description.

There was no problem getting a full refund..they knew they had a misleading description.
Yeah, different alloy can be much cheaper to make as some of the alloying metals and processes can be expensive.

For some things I just am willing to pay factory/dealer prices: wheels, brakes, things that can have dire consequences if they break.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:51 PM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW, with that ad would make me think that this is an OEM wheel with OEM part numbers. I guess the ad does not say that these are BBS wheels as the lobsters are, but man that is dodgy to say the least.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:38 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
For all we know these wheels are from the OEM factory line but didn't pass the tests to be accepted or were in excess of the order form Porsche and thus never got a part number stamp added to them.
The Porsche part number (or any part number) on a cast part is not "stamped". It's cast as part of the mold. Additionally you should see cast markings indicating that the wheels have TUV approval for sale in Germany on a road going vehicle.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
The Porsche part number (or any part number) on a cast part is not "stamped". It's cast as part of the mold. Additionally you should see cast markings indicating that the wheels have TUV approval for sale in Germany on a road going vehicle.
Then the wheels truly are NOT OEM and the advertising is indeed illegal I would think.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:02 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

At least it was only a wheel and not something more substantial.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:42 PM
mr.brucewayne
Track Day

yikes , i almost bought from them.
Thanks for the head up
Old 02-16-2013, 12:40 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

You are definitely not a sucker! Sad to say, but lobster forks are not the most desirable wheels (but they are very light for OEM), so it seems quite logical that there could be some new old stock for a decent price.

That ebay post is complete bull$hit. They list the Porsche part number! Yet they are not selling genuine Porsche parts!?! You should report them. Buyers have all the rights on ebay. Did you get a refund? Did you call your credit card and cancel payment? I would.

Edit.. was so pissed at hearing this, just read you got a refund. F those guys, they still have the sale up and no mention being replicas.

Quick Reply: Bogus Porsche wheels