Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning a 997 to maximize mods - what does everyone typically do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 01:10 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 638 Posts
Default Tuning a 997 to maximize mods - what does everyone typically do?

In the past, with many of my BMWs and 'S' Audis, I would simply swap in a Conforti chip (for a BMW) or ship out the ECU on the Audis for an upgrade, based on certain mods, and hope for the best. I never really got to the point of dyno tuning any of my cars to maximize the specific mods on the car. I have spoken with a shop that has suggested I go the GIAC upgrade method with some additional tuning to maximize results. They stated that true dyno tuning would be cost prohibitive compared to the GIAC route. So, basic question is; what have all of you done to maximize your mods/results when it comes to the ECU? Flash and hope for the best or have some of you taken it a step or 2 further? I have the typical mods, so there may be a GIAC flash upgrade that already takes into account everything I have. Just curious what everyone here has done and how successful you think your route was. I know I'm wasting my mods without a proper flash/tune.

If anyone is in the Dallas area, what shop did you use and what was the extent of your tuning with that shop? RAC is right down the road from where I work and I plan on speaking with them also.

My mods consist of:
X51 headers
Fabspeed X-pipe 200 sport cats
Carpgraphic sport cans
Evo CAI

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Most people that want to upgrade buy a Turbo.

That said, I'm modding for my own appeal, not extra power. I'm doing Champion headers/Tubi exhaust, then some H&R springs (PASM-compatible) for a nice little drop without destroying the ride (I had them on my 2006 S). It's tough to get a lot of power out of the NA cars without supercharging, etc.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:45 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sell the car and buy a GTS or a GT3.....

IMHO By the time you buy all the goodies to maximize the performance of your current 911 you'll be spending the same amount expecially if you start adding exterior mods.

I'm cool with lowering, wheels and a few motor mods of your choice to make the car look the way you want it. Perhaps even a short shifter, exhaust or maybe some cats with a tune would be well worth it. If you start going over $10-15K in mods then you you might as well buy a car with the Factory X51 or a GTS or the GT3.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:05 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I took this approach.

Intake
IPD competitive plenum and GT3 TB
Evom CAI

Exhaust
FVD Brombacher full exhaust system
- headers with long race piped
- 200 cell cats
- cans and tips
- 70mm vs. 63.5mm stock pipes all around

FVD ECU Flash to pull it all together... a custom tune was not required as FVD already had a tune for a C2S with their exhaust system and the IPD plenums. BTW, FVD has a tuner engineer who visits certain cities around the world if you want a custom tune. I seem to recall that they had him stop in Dallas.

Porsche 3rd radiator to improve cooling.
B&M SSK to improve shifting... this is by far the best bang for the buck.

The car is quick and loud when I step on it. It's a completely different animal than what it started out as in stock form... Aggressive. I'm quite happy with the result.

OP, have you found an AWD dyno in Dallas. Our dyno's are 2WD here in Austin which doesn't work properly.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:17 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

@Chris - this is not a situation where upgrading to a Turbo is needed. I have similar mods as many on here and others not mentioned (Porsche SSK, Eibachs, etc.), but I simply want to maximize the components related to intake and exhaust. It's well known that simply adding these pieces will typically result in loss of low-end torque and a power curve that is not optimized. I'm actually surprised that others have not replied to this with the direction they took to maximize the results of their intake and exhaust mods. Without adjustment/tuning to take these upgrades into account, performance is usually not all that great, even if a benefit was found - more than merely looking for a sound increase. Just my experience. I'm not seeking a Turbo, I just need to gain the full results from the mods I have.

@Spokane - Again, this is not a vehicle upgrade issue. If I could afford the jump to a GT3, I would certainly make it. I have made very typical mods to this car and just want the full affect from them. I am well below your noted $10-15k threshold.

@USMC - Thanks for the info on the direction you took. Since you used a 'system' on the exhaust end, it makes sense that FVD had a 'tune' specific to what you had added. It's likely that a 'generic' GIAC 997 tune, for the components i have, would be available and that's what a shop has suggested to me at this point. Start with a GIAC tune and then do some minor work to tweak it for max results. I was hoping this could be done in the $1k range, but it may be a bit more expensive than that, if the additional tweaking is brought into play.

Thanks for everyone's feedback thus far.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

I wasn't being critical, merely pointing out that large gains are not to be had with an NA 997...
Old 02-12-2013, 08:24 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
@Chris - this is not a situation where upgrading to a Turbo is needed. I have similar mods as many on here and others not mentioned (Porsche SSK, Eibachs, etc.), but I simply want to maximize the components related to intake and exhaust. It's well known that simply adding these pieces will typically result in loss of low-end torque and a power curve that is not optimized. I'm actually surprised that others have not replied to this with the direction they took to maximize the results of their intake and exhaust mods. Without adjustment/tuning to take these upgrades into account, performance is usually not all that great, even if a benefit was found - more than merely looking for a sound increase. Just my experience. I'm not seeking a Turbo, I just need to gain the full results from the mods I have.
I noticed this as well on my car prior to the ECU remap. In theory, the lack of back pressure due to the 200 cell cats and larger pipes could be a good thing... but in my case the benefits were only notable once the ECU was properly tuned with the FVD flash. GL with the tune on your car, let us know what you end up doing and the outcome...
Old 02-12-2013, 08:39 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I wasn't being critical, merely pointing out that large gains are not to be had with an NA 997...
i agree, Chris, large gains aren't going to be seen on the 997. Problem is, without tuning, to some extent, the gains and/or losses due to increased flow of the exhaust can be disappointing. the ecu must be tweaked to compensate for the additional airflow at the intake side and flow on the exhaust side. it would be a shame to spend the money on the components and believe that's the end of the progress. a tune will bring everything together, just as USMC stated.

USMC, i will try to post later about the overall outcome. a more linear and productive power curve is what am looking for as a final result - just the results you seem to have found with your FVD work.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

I hear you - I forgot to mention I will get a reflash to take advantage of the new exhaust.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:15 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

@chris - let me know what you do and what results you feel you got from the remap for your exhaust. do you have an approach in mind? also, love the HREs on the Atlas!! Looks sweet!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:13 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah for HRE
Old 02-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I just threw on a PSE and called it a day.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:24 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
Sell the car and buy a GTS or a GT3.....

IMHO By the time you buy all the goodies to maximize the performance of your current 911 you'll be spending the same amount expecially if you start adding exterior mods.

I'm cool with lowering, wheels and a few motor mods of your choice to make the car look the way you want it. Perhaps even a short shifter, exhaust or maybe some cats with a tune would be well worth it. If you start going over $10-15K in mods then you you might as well buy a car with the Factory X51 or a GTS or the GT3.
+1000

Porsche's are not mod friendly... that's why they make various 911s to every taste.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:42 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 816 Likes on 452 Posts

I did an AWE full exhaust and AWE cross pipe and AWE Diamond Black Chrome tips and air filter set. Upgraded to Black BBS Ch-R wheels [from wheel enhancements]. Added a custom painted black satin center console and silver emblem set (thanks Eric@bumperplugs) and leather crested center console lid and black/aluminum PDK shifter [Suncoast Porsche]. An Expel clear bra and a set of Aluminum pedals set added and since it came with the GT3 CF seats its good to go and so far am very happy!

May drop it later...want to keep my PASM and add a GIAC flash I think but otherwise I am good. Don't track it but maybe 1-2x year and since its an '09 C4S I have all the power/traction I need. Would an X51 be appreciated? Yes but not for the $$$ I don't think.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:20 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
+1000

Porsche's are not mod friendly... that's why they make various 911s to every taste.
modern cars in general are not 'mod friendly', but that has nothing to do with why porsche makes 101 versions of the 911. that's called marketing.

i think some of you are missing the point here. i'm simply looking to get the most out of the mods i have and not waste them with dips in the hp and torque curves, loss of low end grunt (back to torque curve) and maximizing returns of top end hp - all of which can be compensated for with a remap of the fuel:air/ecu. i'm not looking for 408 hp like a GTS - i'm hoping to remove any losses coming from much improved flow on the exhaust end and a minor improvement on the intake side. the howl at 5k, for the intake, is improvement enough. again, attempting to maximize my current fuel:air mixture, not seeking a certain hp number. considering the difference in cost between my current 997S and the GTS (or even a 997.1 GT3), buying a GTS is not the wise choice by a long shot. if i was going to go for a full dyno tune, i would gladly post the results here, but my current plan is a general flash and possibly some tweaking after that. if i can get a dyno run after that, i'll post those results.

Quick Reply: Tuning a 997 to maximize mods - what does everyone typically do?