Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions: Just bought 2007 C2S CPO

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 03:06 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Just took my car above 110 MPH yesterday to pass a semi... I have aging PZero's. Did not notice any "squirrelliness" but it was not windy... drove most of I-130 Tollway from North of San Antonio to Austin, TX above 90 MPH w/o issue. I may be just getting used to how the 911 drives/handles. BTW, my prior car was an E36 M3... sold 2 yrs ago.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 02-11-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:03 PM
SAN997
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I got the alignment report from the Porsche dealer, and it says everything was put to spec. The "toe" angle claims +0.4 deg, which they said is "toe in". I called an alignment guy, and he said positive angles are generally inward.

My guess is that it was a combination of wind and the wide tires tracking the surface. Saturday was an exceptionally windy day. Actually, it was so windy, I had to pull off the highway for a period of time. I just didn't realize it was so windy until later in the drive.

Going ~120 mph on a dusty two lane highway on a windy day is probably the culprit. However, I'm going to take my car to Performance MotorCar Investments (Porsche tuning/mechanic/racing/instruction shop) to have them drive it for me. I need a real expert to set it up.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by ABQ997
Hi there, I just picked up a 2007 Carerra 2S coupe CPO and got home after driving a couple days (~800 miles) from Texas to New Mexico. The car made it, but the windshield took a beating. I was literally dodging giant tumble weeds blowing across the interstate.

This was an upgrade from a 2006 BMW M3 (E46), so I have a number of questions.

1. Is the 997 coupe supposed to have so much wind and road noise? Its actually a lot noisier than my M3 convertible rag top!

2. The car handles great in the turns, but above ~90 mph, the steering gets a little squirrely with PASM on or off. The car requires a fair bit of attention to keep straight, and within the lane lines. Granted, it was a windy day, but I still think it is more squirrely at high speeds than the M3. Is this normal? The tires were new and it just had an alignment.

3. There is a strip of material (plasic or metal) just above the headliner and just above the bottom edge of the visor (when folded up) that is loose. It is flopping around in there, you can push on it and feel it move like it came unscrewed. Any idea what this is?

4. Where can I get the service manual? Bentley doesn't seem to sell one yet for the 997. I guess everybody is on warranty or CPO still...but I enjoy having this information.
Check the age of your tires. As they age they get very noisy and harsh.

A common complaint with the 997 way back by the car magazines and what I discovered myself was that these things, even with spot on alignment, are a little squirrely inherently. You can't let up your guard as you drive--even on flat road surfaces. You can't be distracted with texting AND driving these things or you will wind up on the shoulder!

For a service manual you can go to the Renntech page and download the entire PDF.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:49 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got the alignment report from the Porsche dealer, and it says everything was put to spec. The "toe" angle claims +0.4 deg, which they said is "toe in". I called an alignment guy, and he said positive angles are generally inward.

My guess is that it was a combination of wind and the wide tires tracking the surface. Saturday was an exceptionally windy day. Actually, it was so windy, I had to pull off the highway for a period of time. I just didn't realize it was so windy until later in the drive.

Going ~120 mph on a dusty two lane highway on a windy day is probably the culprit. However, I'm going to take my car to Performance MotorCar Investments (Porsche tuning/mechanic/racing/instruction shop) to have them drive it for me. I need a real expert to set it up.
I read an article many years ago about a Porsche factory driver or LeMans pro, forget which, that returned an early 997 because of front end lift during high wind conditions. I believe it was a Cabriolet. It struck me that he would know more than most what could be worked out and what was non-fixable.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:00 AM
SAN997
Instructor

Originally Posted by 91469972
It's more likely your tires. I have the Michelin Pilot Super Sport and they are quiet and don't track when I am on a surface that has the cuts in the road.
Do you think I could sell the set of four tires on this forum? How much would I get? They are brand new Pireli P ZERO ROSSO ZR19 that were installed by the dealer for the CPO. They have 800 highway miles on them, tread depth is all 7 mm.

I might do that and put Michelin Pilot Super Sports on them instead.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:31 AM
Chris Stewart
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw the answer to my question posted above
Old 02-12-2013, 02:17 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Do you think I could sell the set of four tires on this forum? How much would I get? They are brand new Pireli P ZERO ROSSO ZR19 that were installed by the dealer for the CPO. They have 800 highway miles on them, tread depth is all 7 mm.

I might do that and put Michelin Pilot Super Sports on them instead.
You'll likely need to price your tires at about half the new cost. My experience is that all tires can be noisy, depending on the road surface. Coarse pavement will be noisy on any tires. And the noise gets more prominent as the tires wear and age. Have you tried your car on a nice newly paved blacktop road? It can make an amazing difference from a more worn road surface. Don't forget, you don't have a lot of noise insulation between you and those fat tires.

These cars can give the AWD cars, like my 07 Targa, feel a little more planted in the front end due to the added weight there. But despite feeling a little light, they still hang on better than you'd expect. You just have to get used to it. Do some autocrossing or tracking to find out what they can and can't do.

Congrats on your purchase.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:36 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

I place the Porsche spare tire kit(~40-50 lbs of added weight) in the frunk for my long hauls. That may explain why my car seems well planted at the higher speeds vs. what the OP experienced.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:23 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Replace the tires and get the alignment checked. I've never driven a car with such perfect feedback and stability. The 911 is like driving a gocart.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:44 PM
SAN997
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
Replace the tires and get the alignment checked. I've never driven a car with such perfect feedback and stability. The 911 is like driving a gocart.
My only basis of comparison is the BMW M3, so ill have a pro drive it and tell me if its right. I truly have no idea--it could be perfect as is.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:10 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Congrats on the new car! I have the Pirellis on my 997 as well - brand new ones, and they are noisy. I have them on the Panamera S as well, but that car is so quiet it isn't an issue.

Just because someone just did an alignment doesn't mean that it was done right. Different techs have a different idea of what is "right" or what is "best". Maybe he thinks you want to autocross, so it's got a bit different spec for toe? That happened to me once. It made the car extremely twitchy.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have only used Michelins on my car and have ever experienced the squirrelly handling being described here. When you say high winds how high where they ? Cross winds or straight on ? Big enough wind will make any car feel light.
Don't know about your tires but these cars are very sensitive to tire pressure variances in front so make sure the pressure in both front tires is as close to identicle as you can get them. Half a pound difference to too much.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:47 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Congrats and good luck on fixing the shakiness. I hope that it was just the wind.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:08 AM
SAN997
Instructor

Just an update on the CPO car:

1. I found the front tires had been over inflated by about 5 psi. It is well known that rear engine cars should have their front tires inflated less than the rears to improve handling. So fixing this likely helps.

2. The Pirelli PZERO Rosso tires are not terrible with respect to noise. They aren't great, and are pretty darn horrible on rough asphalt at speed, but they are OK on most surfaces.

3. The dealer ordered the part for the broken bracket in the headliner above the visor, and they are going to fix that Tuesday.

4. A full fuel tank and an additional ~30 pounds in the trunk helps with handling stability a bit, making it feel more mid-engine. I'm going to pick up ~75 pounds of weight to put in the trunk just for the heck of it.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:24 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Just an update on the CPO car:

1. I found the front tires had been over inflated by about 5 psi. It is well known that rear engine cars should have their front tires inflated less than the rears to improve handling. So fixing this likely helps.

2. The Pirelli PZERO Rosso tires are not terrible with respect to noise. They aren't great, and are pretty darn horrible on rough asphalt at speed, but they are OK on most surfaces.

3. The dealer ordered the part for the broken bracket in the headliner above the visor, and they are going to fix that Tuesday.

4. A full fuel tank and an additional ~30 pounds in the trunk helps with handling stability a bit, making it feel more mid-engine. I'm going to pick up ~75 pounds of weight to put in the trunk just for the heck of it.
The Porsche spare tire kit would make that a useful 75 lbs.

Quick Reply: Questions: Just bought 2007 C2S CPO