PSE & Sport Chrono upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 10:05 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts
Default PSE & Sport Chrono upgrade?

Hi everyone - Two issues and please pardon my ignorance:

1. I have a '10 4S 6 speed coupe and recently bought a set of PSE mufflers which will be going on the car with the rest of the PSE parts to make it work correctly. I believe the stock PSE switches itself off at low, (around town) speeds, something like btwn. 25-40 MPH, on its own when you have set the PSE to loud (for lack of a better term). I understand there is a modification you can do to the switch to make it a truly on/off switch. I know I saw a thread somewhere about that but can not find it now. I would like to make that change during installation if possible. I recently drove a 991 4S with PSE and that switch was truly on/off and I really liked that ability.

2. I was recently told that I should install the Sport Chrono software (sans wart) at the same time I do the PSE upgrade and perhaps that will be a pretty cheap upgrade as they will already be installing the PSE electronics. If I add the Sport Chrono, what will actually be added to the car? Is it just a software package or does it add a switch or something down on the console with the PSE switch? Finally, since the car is a 6 speed, would I see any performance changes?

OK- those are my questions (for now). Any comments are welcome as I try to work this out.

Thank you,
Michael
Old 02-09-2013, 10:38 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Sport mode makes less sense on a manual car. it remaps the throttle response and makes it more "touchy". It seems to be a must on the PDKs bc it changes the PDKs behavior to a more aggressive mode and enables launch control.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:31 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

There is no speed gate on/off on PSE. Without SC, PSE is on via a button on your dash that looks like little exhaust pipes. With SC installed, PSE is on when put into Sport or Sport Plus. On my car PSE is on all the time as the prior owner never wired the baffles to operate with SC. There is a noticeable difference in sound above 4000 RPM. Below it, the exhaust sounds quiet as without PSE. Maybe a bit louder but not much.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

While there in the ECU,Hyper Drive is a must have !
Old 02-09-2013, 11:24 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

So there is no software function that closes down the sport mufflers for around town driving? I could swear that I have read about that as one of the things people with PSE did not appreciate and this a "hack" was devised using the actual switch. So I guess I am wrong then.....
Old 02-09-2013, 11:56 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by daberlin
There is no speed gate on/off on PSE. Without SC, PSE is on via a button on your dash that looks like little exhaust pipes. With SC installed, PSE is on when put into Sport or Sport Plus. On my car PSE is on all the time as the prior owner never wired the baffles to operate with SC. There is a noticeable difference in sound above 4000 RPM. Below it, the exhaust sounds quiet as without PSE. Maybe a bit louder but not much.
Originally Posted by cairo94507
So there is no software function that closes down the sport mufflers for around town driving? I could swear that I have read about that as one of the things people with PSE did not appreciate and this a "hack" was devised using the actual switch. So I guess I am wrong then.....
On the 997.1 I think PSE was activated when you pressed the Sport button but not with the 997.2. PSE must be activated indepedantly with the PSE button; I have PSE and SC on my '09 and that's how it works. Also, with the 997.1 version of PSE I've heard owners talk about PSE sound being speed related but on my car there is no change in the exhaust note, except it gets louder when you put your foot in it.

Also, Michael, if you had a PDK car I would definitely suggest you get SC as it gives you sport settings that are very noticeable if you drive PDK in Auto mode + you get launch control. With a 6 speed car, I just don't think you'll notice much difference besides a bit more sensitive throttle and it's not worth it IMO, unless you can get it added very inexpensively.

Edit: 82_930 below obviously has different opinion on SC and a 6 speed. He has a MT, I don't so I defer to him. Pay your money and take your choice.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:02 AM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have the PSE on my C4 but do have the SC... My car is a manual and there is a definite difference with the button engaged. I would imagine that it would feel more different if combined with PSE. I would get the sport chrono software.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:49 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

+1... I also have the factory SC w/o PSE on my C2S. Sports mode makes a dramatic difference in the responsiveness of the engine and tightens up the suspension as well. It was one of the factors that sold me on the 997.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:20 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
+1... I also have the factory SC w/o PSE on my C2S. Sports mode makes a dramatic difference in the responsiveness of the engine and tightens up the suspension as well. It was one of the factors that sold me on the 997.
In my case, since I already have the lower sport suspension, PASM sport mode is too much for some roads and I end up deactivating PASM sport after pressing the SC Sport button. Sometimes the "one touch" feature is not that convenient, at least for me.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:10 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
On the 997.1 I think PSE was activated when you pressed the Sport button but not with the 997.2. PSE must be activated indepedantly with the PSE button; I have PSE and SC on my '09 and that's how it works. Also, with the 997.1 version of PSE I've heard owners talk about PSE sound being speed related but on my car there is no change in the exhaust note, except it gets louder when you put your foot in it.

Also, Michael, if you had a PDK car I would definitely suggest you get SC as it gives you sport settings that are very noticeable if you drive PDK in Auto mode + you get launch control. With a 6 speed car, I just don't think you'll notice much difference besides a bit more sensitive throttle and it's not worth it IMO, unless you can get it added very inexpensively.

Edit: 82_930 below obviously has different opinion on SC and a 6 speed. He has a MT, I don't so I defer to him. Pay your money and take your choice.
Mike, I have a '10 C2S without SC. 6 weeks after I got the car, I had the local dealer install PSE. Since I didn't have SC, I needed the switch to activate the PSE. If my car had SC, they would have wired the PSE to the SC switch, like your car is wired.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:56 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone. I am hoping to have the PSE installed this month. I will ask about the SC option and see what that costs. If reasonable, who knows what means, I might add it. Michael
Old 02-10-2013, 11:19 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
In my case, since I already have the lower sport suspension, PASM sport mode is too much for some roads and I end up deactivating PASM sport after pressing the SC Sport button. Sometimes the "one touch" feature is not that convenient, at least for me.
+1. On most roads except the smoothest PASM sports mode is undesirable so I often deselect it while leaving the engine sports mode(remap) on... especially if my wife is in the passenger seat.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

I have a CS with 6-sp and absolutely love PSE and PASM in sport mode.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:03 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

997.1 had a speed sensitive modulation of the baffles, so did the 996, to keep the noise at check at certain speeds. The 997.2 PSE does not have this modulation, it is either on or off. But it is also quieter than the 996 or 997.1 PSE. And that my friends, is how the german mind works sometimes. AAArrrrghh!!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:40 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Chago996 - Thanks for the definitive answer re the sound modulation. Now I know that is not an issue.
Thanks, Michael

Quick Reply: PSE & Sport Chrono upgrade?