Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If your car did not need it, would third rad increase fuel consumption?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 07:01 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts
Default If your car did not need it, would third rad increase fuel consumption?

There are places that really need it like arizona texas flroida probably but if yoiur car did not need the third radiator and the kind of driving one does does not require it, wouldnt the third rad just increase fuel consumption. I heard that one of the new tech in the 991 was thermal management. Getting all fluids at operating temperature as quickly as possible. With the third rad, getting the oil temp u p would reqquire more time and therefore less efficient. The 991 s with the 400 hp engine does not even have the thrid radiator standard.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:33 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

If you get the low temp thermostat it will get you to operating temp quicker. Where are you located?
Old 02-06-2013, 08:11 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

philippines. temp here is scorching but seriously i seldom get the temp more than 110C and this happens only in the worst of traffic. have the kit already but thinking is not really needed it will just add weight and the engine has to get more water heated up before getting to operating temps. bought the kit because i know it will have benefit of better engine protection from heat but if the current setup is sufficient. it might be overkill.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:30 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

I used to live in Saigon as a kid and the summers there remind me of Houston, TX where it's hot and humid. If Manila is similar to Saigon I'd say that a 3rd rad would definitely benefit the longevity of your engine especially if you drive the car in the higher RPM's like it should be. I don't think that having the 3rd would affect your gas mileage much at all. An extra gallon of coolant = 8 lbs of added weight. The 3rd rad plus two small hoses = another 7-10 lbs. Less than 20 lbs in total of added weight on a 3,200 lbs car shouldn't add anything. The extra mile to get the car to operating temp before you can floor it... well anytime you floor it the MPG goes out the window.

Re the 991 not having a 3rd rad... well that car has a very different engine from the 997.1. BTW, which car do you have? The 997.1 has a feature(issue) where the 4th cylinder on the 2nd bank gets the less amount of cooling. That's OK in Germany where it's colder... not so good in warmer climes especially if you floor the car before it reaches operating temp. Here's a very long but good explanation of the potential issues related towards engine damage from over heating. http://www.hartech.org/docs/buyers%2...20part%205.pdf
Old 02-06-2013, 10:01 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
There are places that really need it like arizona texas flroida probably but if yoiur car did not need the third radiator and the kind of driving one does does not require it, wouldnt the third rad just increase fuel consumption. I heard that one of the new tech in the 991 was thermal management. Getting all fluids at operating temperature as quickly as possible. With the third rad, getting the oil temp u p would reqquire more time and therefore less efficient. The 991 s with the 400 hp engine does not even have the thrid radiator standard.
Added weight could cause more fuel consumption.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

[QUOTE=slicky rick;10202924]philippines. temp here is scorching but seriously i seldom get the temp more than 110C and this happens only in the worst of traffic. have the kit already but thinking is not really needed it will just add weight and the engine has to get more water heated up before getting to operating temps. bought the kit because i know it will have benefit of better engine protection from heat but if the current setup is sufficient. it might be overkill.[/Q

Whats it like living there? Get to the states much?
Old 02-07-2013, 01:22 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The addition of a third radiator helps the cooling system handle higher thermal loads. If you get spikes in temperature from setting in traffic on hot days or on the track then that extra cooling will keep your coolant temps more even and free from major temperature spikes. There is a reason Porsche sells this kit for $250 (Cheap)....probably because it should have been equiped in every 997.

As far as the fuel economy....mombo jumbo silly crazy talk. If you can afford a 911 then you can afford to lose the .00005% decrease in efficiency and fuel economy. You'll make up the money by not having to potentially pay for a new $25k motor.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:40 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I dont think it takes more time to warm up due to the by pass valve in the expansion tank remains close(not letting water circulate) until engine is in normal operating temp.

You can manualy pull this valve manualy open as we do when were at the track.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
If you get the low temp thermostat it will get you to operating temp quicker. Where are you located?
it'll just lower the operating temp, not make getting there any faster.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:50 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

The philippines is a great place to live, especially when you get older. We have extended families who stay withnyou an dtake care of you. Very few home for the aged. And imho we have the most beautiful women.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:51 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Yes visit the us often enough. We have dry heat over there, we have wet, humid heat over here.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Plenty of Porsches with just 2 radiators do just fine in hotter climes with their factory complement of 2 radiators.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Besides even in areas with milder temps I've coolant temps reach 226F in my Boxster. This is the same temp the coolant temp reached when I was driving in AZ in 116F heat one July summer day/night (it doesn't cool off much at night...).

From a theoretical aspect a 3rd radiator would increase fuel consumption: more drag; more weight; if backed by a radiator fan then more parasitic alternator losses.

But the amount of extra fuel consumed would probably be very hard to measure without lab conditions and lab instrumentation.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:14 PM
hakaida702
Racer

[quote=Chaos;10203220]
philippines. temp here is scorching but seriously i seldom get the temp more than 110C and this happens only in the worst of traffic. have the kit already but thinking is not really needed it will just add weight and the engine has to get more water heated up before getting to operating temps. bought the kit because i know it will have benefit of better engine protection from heat but if the current setup is sufficient. it might be overkill.[/Q

Whats it like living there? Get to the states much?
I got 40 year old virgin type friends from hawaii that visit there often to bang cheap hookers. They say that it's like a third world country. And the food is nasty. I've seen guys eat this thing called balut. It's a egg with a half developed chicken inside. I would rather visit korea or japan. The girls there are a lot better looking and the country isn't as filthy.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Luckymba
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, this took a turn
Old 02-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

If you have amoral friends that bang hookers....I now have a much lower opionion of you hakaida. Extremely pathetic and why would think its OK to admit that?

Creepy....

[quote=hakaida702;10204763]
Originally Posted by Chaos

I got 40 year old virgin type friends from hawaii that visit there often to bang cheap hookers. They say that it's like a third world country. And the food is nasty. I've seen guys eat this thing called balut. It's a egg with a half developed chicken inside. I would rather visit korea or japan. The girls there are a lot better looking and the country isn't as filthy.

Quick Reply: If your car did not need it, would third rad increase fuel consumption?