Age vs. Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 09:44 AM
D1coach
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
Except where do you stop...

Everyone always stretches there budget but there is a point at which you just can't stretch it anymore. So for me the initial aim point was for a Boxster S or a 996. Because of the age of my children (4 and 6) we decided that a 911 was probably better than a Boxster as we would be able to use it more. A good 996 was the same price as a low 997. The 997 was in my opinion a better looking car so decided to push for it. Then I decided I needed to buy a good one so the budget went up a bit more to accommodate it. At this point we are already in the 15 to 20k more than budget area. Now while I agree a 09 is a more reliable option than the 07 I went for the extra 15 - 20 wasn't going to fit into my already pushed budget. I put the after market warranty on it so I know I am good for the next three years.

Some people say you should wait and I see there point it basically what I have done myself until this year. But the other side of the argument is just buy what you can afford now and enjoy it. So while a 997.2 is probably the better car my 997.1 is in my opinion 99% of the 997.2 and whole heap better than the alternative which is another 2 or 3 years without a Porsche. I like I am sure the rest of you don't know what the future holds, there is every possibility that your financial position is somehow compromised in the future or you are hit by a bus. So just for once live for today rather than for the future.
+1. To me, if the purchase and ownership of the car is the cause of financial strain then it is no longer pleasurable. I set a budget for what I could afford to buy in cash, and that turned out to be an 05. Are the 997.2’s improved and more desirable ? Apparently so, but to me the differences are inconsequential and I am completely thrilled with the car I was able to afford. Other folks are able to buy the latest greatest Porsche without a strain, fantastic for them.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:04 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Strange
Michelin Pilot Super SPorts are about $420 each for the rears alone...I would budget more than $1200 for four tire. I guess it depends what you pick of course...but I went with the PSS's.
See here.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok....now add tax, shipping, tire disposal and mounting which is about another $300.

Originally Posted by mgordon18
See here.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:52 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the above post, sometimes today might be the only day. You never hear anyone say "I shouldn't have bought my dream car". Don't break the bank but understand we are all here only once. I know that this might be too deep for the original topic, but get what you feel is important .1-.2 and enjoy life, like the rest of us 997'ers.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:01 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys are FAR too worried about depreciation!!!

How about some good ole fashioned APPRECIATION! Like- drive it like you stole it!!

Invest in fun and experience and stop worrying about how much you'll get back when you sell the thing. Lighten up!!!! Life is too short for this depreciation nonsense. These cars are not meant to be great financial investments...so, the point is.... moot.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:24 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

these things are not an investment

they're cars, and they depreciate

if you're on a budget, look at what is in your budget - my first 911 left my hands with 178K on the odometer (in other words, they're pretty well made cars) - if you're worrying about potential failures (and the costs thereof), consider somthing else perhaps
Old 02-13-2013, 04:16 PM
Dstutler
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a 996.2 er and I jumped over to see the type of issues/topics are being addressed on the 997 forum. I must say the talk is different here - I'm with LewisB......drive the damn things. They're fun and they depreciate. Keep it a long time and enjoy it......and buy the best one you can, according to you and no one else.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:41 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dumped my 997.1 after 18 months because I wanted a PDK and a PCM that could actually be used. Added bonus are cool headlights that swivel and those snotty little DRL's that don't scream aftermarket.

Have never thought twice about the extra $, depreciation, or whatever especially in sport mode when I punched the gas to get the airport on time this morning. Yep, ski rack and all. See you in Tahoe!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Mark Harris; 02-13-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:56 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by svt1
I think if this is the car your lusting after, go for it.

If its not CPO, then work an aftermarket warranty into the deal.

I found a 2006 S with 11,500 miles. I thought to myself, that the mileage was low, and I'd end up having issues probably. But the car had the color, and options that I would have ordered back in 2006 if I had bought it new, so that sealed the deal. Plus is still smells new inside!

I paid $3600 for a comprehensive, "exclusionary" type of warranty that covers everything I'd ever be concerned about for the next 5 years or 60k miles, and its a transferable warranty as well. I may drive the car about 7k miles a year, tops. So in a year or two, hopefully the low miles and mint condition will help keep depreciation under control.

Because of this, and after a thorough inspection by me, including seeing the car's history, I pulled the trigger without a PPI. If anything goes wrong, the warranty will cover it.

I did prefer the 997.2 because of the 385 HP DFI motor, but for the difference in coin, I was able to get an entry level Porsche at a great price with the 06 S, knowing that in the future I'd rather just step up to a 997 TT anyway, once the itch becomes impossible to quench. So for now, the 997.1 won't depreciate as quickly ( in theory) as the .2 car, allowing me more equity toward the 997 TT when I'm ready.

The 997.1's are nice cars though, no question about it. Hard to justify the extra $ for a .2 for some of us, as they're both so competent cars.
You actually believe all of the promises the salesman makes after they take your money up front for a 3rd party warranty?

After they have your dough, they don't worry about you!

I would never do any warranty but CPO.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:06 PM
pnwc4s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by coldstart
I notice that there are a lot of 911s with low mileage as they are likely being used as secondary cars. I am fairly wary of these cars as I know that some major issues don't show up until 20-30K in (casting and porous block issues) and 911s do not like to sit for extended periods of time.
Personally I'm very wary of low mileage cars, I would rather buy a used car that's being driven regularly and taken care of. However, I don't think that casting or porous block are common problems on the M97, more of an M96 issue, and mostly with the older Boxsters if memory serves me correctly.

I'll take a crack at your specific questions :

Anyways, I am looking for opinions on buying a 2006 911S with 17K miles, service solely by the dealer.

1. What type of routine maintenance should I expect annually?
Tires, oil changes. Can be quite cheap if you do some work yourself. Less than $2000/year even with dealer service.

2. What maintenance should I perform immediately upon purchase?
Maybe nothing if the car has been well cared for. I would certainly be wary of the service interval with such an old car and only 17k miles. If they only did one service at 15k, that would be a red flag for me, I'd like to see annual service even though they didn't drive it much.

I might go ahead and do some of the 50k mile checks just because of the age; stuff like serpentine belt, coolant cap. Really these cars don't have a lot of problems.

3. Anything specific to watch out for (M97 motor)?
Look for leaks in the RMS/IMS area. Ask how fast it consumes oil. Check for blue smoke on cold-start. It's pretty hard to see a problem though unless the car is just about to pop, the M97 seems to be either pretty trouble-free unless you get unlucky.

4. Is it worth it to spend another $15K and get a 2009 911S with 40K (besides the extra hp)?
That's a 997.2 so there are lots of little differences.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:55 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Originally Posted by LewisB
You guys are FAR too worried about depreciation!!!

How about some good ole fashioned APPRECIATION! Like- drive it like you stole it!!

Invest in fun and experience and stop worrying about how much you'll get back when you sell the thing. Lighten up!!!! Life is too short for this depreciation nonsense. These cars are not meant to be great financial investments...so, the point is.... moot.
+1 I don't understand the depreciation thing. These cars, like every other high priced low production semi -exotic, depreciate like there is no tomorrow so if it's your primary concern, don't buy one. You won't enjoy the car for worrying about how much it depreciates every time you drive it.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:05 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Buy the car with plenty of warranty and start tracking the hell out of it and i am sure that any reliability issues will appear.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:13 PM
svt1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stubenhocker
You actually believe all of the promises the salesman makes after they take your money up front for a 3rd party warranty?

After they have your dough, they don't worry about you!

I would never do any warranty but CPO.
The short answer would be, no, I would never arbitrarily believe any of the promises any salesman makes regarding anything. However, with today's information technology, a smart consumer can do plenty of research before buying any product or service, and that's exactly what I did before choosing to buy a non-CPO car, with the addition of an aftermarket warranty that offered the coverage and service that I expected, along with a reputation that backed up their claims.

I've noticed that there are 2 camps with regards to buying pre owned 911's. One camp is okay with doing their diligence and research and buying what they perceive to be the best car for the dollar, CPO or not. The other camp who buys pre owned 911's seem to find solace in the fact that their car is a CPO, and place the highest value on that item above all else. I agree that CPO is the best option IF available at time of purchase. Sometimes you can find a great CPO car at your price point, sometimes you can't. Depending on where you live, the inventory of late model 997's may not be that high, so this limits options somewhat for certain folks.

In terms of depreciation, I like the comments posted here. I am one who sometimes thinks about that too much, and it does detract from enjoyment of ownership. I need to just focus on enjoying the car. Too bad we've had over 30" of snow here in the last 10 days!!!!
Old 02-19-2013, 06:46 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

^^^ Good observations. If one could get a sufficient number of good, actual selling price data, original sticker price data, and matching mileage data, all for a specific recent period of time, it would be interesting to run a multiple regression and see if it's possible to get statistically valid results. I did something like this when I was shopping for my car, but I could not get actual sales data, only asking price data. It's not quite the same thing.

Quick Reply: Age vs. Mileage