Sponsored by:

Help request - brake vibration dampers

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Angry Help request - brake vibration dampers

Super Bowl Sunday - probably a bad day to try changing pads for the first time on the 997. Fronts went fine but on the first rear wheel I tried, two small discs fell out when removing the pads. My Bentley 996 book says they are vibration dampers. The surface on the pad side is crumbling. I don't see how to get them back in the pistons without removing the calipers which I don't have the tools for or new bolts.

Are the vibration dampers needed? I'm putting track pads on for a chin event at HMS Saturday and won't have time during the week to wok on it. I didn't have them on my old 996 track car and didn't notice any negative effects. Will removing all 8 of them on the two rear wheels pose a safety issue or cause damage to other components? I'm not concerned with noise. I'll probably have to replace rotors after the track day so I could purchase new dampers then. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Found several old threads saying they are not needed with track pads so off they go for now!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

only function is to stop possible squealing while braking. if you run without dampers yet have no squeal, you are good to go.

i dont run them on or off the track. (even when i sound like a city bus stopping - during track season i leave track pads in 24/7)
Old 02-04-2013, 12:58 PM
woodyTPA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cloudspin, you need a 10mm hexhead wrench at Sears for the calipers. Hang them from the spring to access your pistons, or disconnect the brake line and attach a 1/4 inch pvc tube to the brake line and put other end of tube higher than your brake fluid reservoir to keep fluid from running out. Service the caliper and replace with same bolts. I use loctite blue threadlock also. Torque to specs or just real tight with your "wrist" toprque wrench without overdoing it. Pretty quick job. BTW...Porsche recommends damper plate to promote even wear of the pads, not just squeeling. However, if you are changing pads to track, you probably dont need them, plus sometimes a tight squeeze getting track pads in with the plates in as well. Good luck!
Old 02-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by woodyTPA
Cloudspin, you need a 10mm hexhead wrench at Sears for the calipers. Hang them from the spring to access your pistons, or disconnect the brake line and attach a 1/4 inch pvc tube to the brake line and put other end of tube higher than your brake fluid reservoir to keep fluid from running out. Service the caliper and replace with same bolts. I use loctite blue threadlock also. Torque to specs or just real tight with your "wrist" toprque wrench without overdoing it. Pretty quick job. BTW...Porsche recommends damper plate to promote even wear of the pads, not just squeeling. However, if you are changing pads to track, you probably dont need them, plus sometimes a tight squeeze getting track pads in with the plates in as well. Good luck!

Woody,
Thanks for the tips. It would definitely be a tight squeeze with the PF 08 pads I was putting in. They went in nicely though after removing the dampers. I have a long, straight lightly traveled rural road very close to me that I use to bed pads. That process went well yesterday. I drove it to the office and back today. That's 34 miles each way and about 90% highway. I experienced extremely loud squealing from the left rear at traffic lights - much louder than I ever had with PF 01's on my 996 without the dampers. It looks like I better take the wheels off and have another look. I may not have removed all of the damper components successfully. The rears were crumbling and there maybe some debris I missed. Thanks again.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:45 PM
woodyTPA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also if you disconnect the brakeline you must unscrew the 10mm bolt that holds the line to the upright.That can be tricky to put back in the hole due to the rigidity of the line, and the bolt goes in at a slight angle.Futz with it a little, but DONT strip it.Use loctite.The rears have an ebrake cable.I have never messed with that so cant help you much. Search the forum for info. Good luck!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:48 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I do not get any noise when using stock pads on the street with no anti squeal shims. You don't need them and you won't be able to even use them due to swapping stock and track pads around.

Quick Reply: Help request - brake vibration dampers