Sponsored by:

stuck brakes ruined my clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 10:46 AM
lowcoaster
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default stuck brakes ruined my clutch

So my brakes have a tendancy to stick on after being parked.
If I'm not careful I could stall the engine trying to launch.
At first I thought it was just some ice so I didnt think much of it,
until yesterday when the brakes were stuck on so hard that the clutch went out just trying to get the car to move.

The car broke free with a loud CRACK and then another CRACK when the other side of the car broke free. Now the clutch is slipping and vibrates when you let off it.

I know the clutch isnt usually covered by warranty, but do you think it would be covered because of the seized brake pads?

I'm up in canada where a clutch job will cost 4-5 thousand dollars at the dealer.

Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

They seize after being parked, or after being washed and parked?
Old 02-01-2013, 11:28 AM
lowcoaster
Advanced

or after sitting in the rain with the e brake on.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

I watched a guy hammer a set of brake pads into a turbo a long time ago. He thought the pads would just wear down to fit. Fried the clutch.

I doubt you will get any warranty coverage on stuck brake pads. If the dealer finds something wrong with the brakes they might go along with a clutch under warranty.

At $4-$5k for a clutch I'd seriously consider finding an Indy close to you or trying to find one in Maine.

Good luck.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by lowcoaster
So my brakes have a tendancy to stick on after being parked.
If I'm not careful I could stall the engine trying to launch.
At first I thought it was just some ice so I didnt think much of it,
until yesterday when the brakes were stuck on so hard that the clutch went out just trying to get the car to move.

The car broke free with a loud CRACK and then another CRACK when the other side of the car broke free. Now the clutch is slipping and vibrates when you let off it.

I know the clutch isnt usually covered by warranty, but do you think it would be covered because of the seized brake pads?

I'm up in canada where a clutch job will cost 4-5 thousand dollars at the dealer.

Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

You might try for some goodwill. I doubt you'll get any, though I hope I'm wrong. Hard to imagine burning up a clutch to bust some rusted brakes loose and the dealer is unlikely to accept that.

I've encountered this seized brake business just a few times and it didn't take any horrendous clutch slipping to break the brakes free.

In fact I didn't even realize they were seized until I went to move the car and then heard the loud bang when the rotors/pads broke free.

Regardless what happens after you get the car back be sure to avoid putting the car away with wet brakes. Drive the car and use the brakes to get them hot enough to remove any moisture.

Now if you live and drive in snow/icy conditions what can happen is snow/ice/slush accumulate under the wheel wells.

You park the car up and the heat from the brakes/engine/exhaust will melt some of the stuff under the wheel well liners and water drips down on the brake hardware.

This can cause rust and additionally if the car is parked where it is cold enough -- outside or in an unheated garage -- the water can refreeze and then you have brakes frozen from rust and ice.

What I tried to do was to park the car outside until it would cool down -- it cooled down quicker -- and then move it into the garage.

As soon as the roads were relatively free of snow/icy slush I'd head over to the DIY car wash with heated water and use the rinse setting to melt/rinse away the build up of ice under the wheel well liners. I made it a point to drive the car afterwards to ensure the brakes were completely dry though.

This worked for me because I lived in an area that would get snow, then after a few days (at the most) the roads would be mostly clear as plowing, sand, salt, and traffic would see the snow/ice gone and the roads mostly clear and dry.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:44 PM
lowcoaster
Advanced

so basically the advice is ...

when you park your car, dont use the parking brake.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:57 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by lowcoaster
so basically the advice is ...

when you park your car, dont use the parking brake.
Kind of... I've experienced the same, mostly after I washed the car and there were risidual moisture on the brakes. I however, have an underground and heated garage, which helps.

So, being in NS, you might have more issues than me in BC... just park in your garage and don't use e-brake, and if not, on a flat surface and put it into 1st so car doesn't move.

Also, ask dealer to see what they offer as "goodwill", and then compare it to a good indy cost for clutch work. Good luck!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:40 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always use the parking brake, only exception is after a hand wash at home for reasons above.

My uncle parked his Mercedes last year on an incline, did not engage parking the brake. When he got out and slammed the door closed, it popped out of "P" and the car started to roll downhill, hit two other cars before coming to a stop.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:25 PM
lowcoaster
Advanced

Default update

okay so I had a perfect storm here,

my clutch plate was burnt when I got the car,
I had reefed the ebrake on nice and tight,
there was a rainstorm, and the car was parked outside.
Breaking free snapped a spring in the clutch.

New clutch job quoted at $2150 CAD from the Dealer.

a far cry from the 4-5k quoted. but i imagine overestimating jobs is the sales teams way of softening the blow.

I haven't shopped around the indys yet, but if they don't quote 500 or more under Porsche then I'm sticking with them seeing as it's already apart on Porsches floor.

thanks to everyone for the advice on parking. I literally figured out the problem from your posts.

If anyone else can give any common tips on how to drive / park the car without doing any more damage to it, I'd appreciate it!

1st gear in the flat driveway no brake from now on!

Is there any other work I should get done while the car is on the surgery table?

enjoy the weekend, those of you with working cars!
Old 02-02-2013, 12:15 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

You just had some bad luck. I have 6 years of parking the car wet and snowy and always use the parking brake. Never any issue with the clutch. There's really no need to try and do special things to prevent the problem. You just had a bad clutch.

Quick Reply: stuck brakes ruined my clutch