Sponsored by:

different tires front and rear?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 03:55 AM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Stock, yes, but the OP posted that he already has 20" wheels on his 997, the same as the 991S.
Mike. Thanks so much for that. I'll set the little alrm warning 2 mph earlier than now if it means a greater choice of tires... honnestly; whatever speed I'm going, 2 mph won't make or break the deal.

Thanks for puttin this into perspective. The one thing that sucks is... shouldn't the dealership where one spent $115k or so be able to ffer at least better advice than varying front and rear tires altogether.... I must say this has been quite a sticking point with my Porsche experience.... the service at the dealership has been much under par. Anyone needing more information in Central Florida can just ask by PM.

A gret forum indeed. I have asked once in the past, but will do so again; How does one go about gettting a lifetime membership?
Old 01-31-2013, 01:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CtrUSA
Mike. Thanks so much for that. I'll set the little alrm warning 2 mph earlier than now if it means a greater choice of tires... honnestly; whatever speed I'm going, 2 mph won't make or break the deal.

Thanks for puttin this into perspective. The one thing that sucks is... shouldn't the dealership where one spent $115k or so be able to ffer at least better advice than varying front and rear tires altogether.... I must say this has been quite a sticking point with my Porsche experience.... the service at the dealership has been much under par. Anyone needing more information in Central Florida can just ask by PM.

A gret forum indeed. I have asked once in the past, but will do so again; How does one go about gettting a lifetime membership?
You're welcome. If you think about it, most speedo's are optomistic to begin with and show you going 2-5 mph faster than you're really going anyway. If a taller tire ups your speed 2 or 3 MPH, you might actually be getting closer to an accurate readout.

You can sign up for 1 or 2 year memberships by clicking the "premium membership" tab in the header bar at the top of the page. I don't know how the lifetime membership thing works. You can e-mail one of the moderators directly and ask.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:11 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. No
Isn't the diameter of the 991 wheel larger than that of the 997? In which case you'd sacrifice acceleration and speedo accuracy.

If you go to the dealer they should recommend only n-rated tires. There may be some other stuff on tirerack that is also good but lacks the n-rating.
Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Stock, yes, but the OP posted that he already has 20" wheels on his 997, the same as the 991S.
My bad, I wasn't clear. The wheels may both be 20" but the 991 wheel/tire setup is a larger diameter than the 997. So putting a 991 wheel/tire fitment on a 997 will change the speedo/odo/acceleration/suspension and whatever else Porsche engineered to work with the smaller wheel/tire diameter.

I would be wary of messing with that from a performance standpoint, but OTOH it seems to work for others:
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2013, 04:15 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

A great forum indeed. I have asked once in the past, but will do so again; How does one go about getting a lifetime membership?
I think it's a bit like getting an honorary degree, or winning the Nobel prize.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dr. No
My bad, I wasn't clear. The wheels may both be 20" but the 991 wheel/tire setup is a larger diameter than the 997. So putting a 991 wheel/tire fitment on a 997 will change the speedo/odo/acceleration/suspension and whatever else Porsche engineered to work with the smaller wheel/tire diameter.

I would be wary of messing with that from a performance standpoint, but OTOH it seems to work for others:
As we discussed elsewhere in this thread, the difference in revs per mile between the OP's 305x20x20's (same dimensions as the OEM 295x30x19's on the 997.2S) and the 991's 295x30x20 is only 3.7% or about 2.5 MPH on the speedo at 70mph. (The rig in your pic probably has slightly more variation than that from stock. ) I also doubt changing to a 295 tire will cause suspension problems or a noticeable difference in acceleration.

You have a point, however. Something as simple as going one size larger on a wheel ends up causing other issues down the road. The OP wants a wider tire selection and this is the only way to do it with the wheels he has. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me, but there are almost always trade-offs.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:59 PM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well; as it is I'm just going to replace the rear with same Pirellis. Not my first preference, but I'm counting on more sizes being available in 20" in a year and half or two and will change then.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:29 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Hi Mike,

That is absolutely correct; I do have 20" tires - not stock and I have asked the dealership about sizing and tires used on the 991... no straight answer yet. By now, I'm guessing many of you are thinking I need to look elsewhere for service.... if you are thinking that; I would second the thought. The tire slection is far down my list of considerations for changing.
The only thing holding me back is that I live in the boonies and that 1h15mn is plnety far enough without wanting to add any Xtra time for service (Also where I bought new... you'd think service would be up to par!)

At this point and not knowing any better, I'm thinking either:
- Bite the bullet and replace the rears with what I have (not happy with that!)
- Probably Continental's?
- I don't think I want the Yokohamas

If anyone knows of another set of tires to consider or a website which will list all options; I'm all ears!
1. Do NOT mix tires/brands - worst thing for handling/ride
2. NEW Pirelli Pzero (not Rosso) is much much better tire and comes OEM on 991
3. Yoko and Conti both make good tires, I've had both with no issues
4. PSS is a great tire, PS2 dry performance, better in wet, and better wear

So, what I recommend is:
- See how much is left in fronts
- If you got LESS tread than a full cycle of rears, then just do all four
- If you got more tread left, compare the cost of rear Pzero N-rated vs. a full set of contis/Yoko... if costs are not too far out, do them all
- Bridgestone S04 is also highly recommended, it's 2nd rated behind PSS

Good luck!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:48 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't mean to hijack this thread but my question relates to the topic.

I'll need a pair of rear tires very soon and I was thinking about Michelin PPS rather than PS2. It'll be the 295 /30 /19 size. So my question is will the PSS rear 'compliment' the PS2 235's that I have on the front.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by AP997S
I don't mean to hijack this thread but my question relates to the topic.

I'll need a pair of rear tires very soon and I was thinking about Michelin PPS rather than PS2. It'll be the 295 /30 /19 size. So my question is will the PSS rear 'compliment' the PS2 235's that I have on the front.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't mix tire models front and rear, even if they are from the same manufacturer. You could ask Michelin about your specific choices, but my guess is they would advise against. (of course they would rather sell you 4 tires instead of 2 ) The Tire Rack site discusses it in general terms here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...sp?techid=136&

They aren't totally against mixing tires under certain circumstances, but it's definitely not the best option.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:41 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
It's OK to mix tires as long as they are comparable tires in their handling characteristics.
uh no-
Old 02-02-2013, 08:53 AM
Twodan
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as my mother used to say "if you have to ask, the answer is no".
Old 02-02-2013, 02:06 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Twodan
as my mother used to say "if you have to ask, the answer is no".
She also must have said . . . . ."No harm in asking"

Old 02-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

One morning recently, I climbed out of bed in the dark, and slipped my feet into my rubber soled moccasins and walked to the kitchen. In a few steps, I nearly fell down. The problem, I had put the slippers on the wrong feet. I immediately thought about the comparison to mixing tires on a car. Sure, you can do it. Sure, it will get you from one point to another. But you run the risk of breaking your neck.

......just an observation.

Quick Reply: different tires front and rear?