Sponsored by:

Early ABS activation

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 06:47 PM
crabman
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The OP just bought the car so he may not realize the state his tires are in
Actually, I've had the car about a year, and now have 12k miles. It always seemed a little off to me, but as the weather has gotten colder, it seems worse. Then again, these are Summer compound tires.

PASM? acceleration sensor?
When codes were pulled, the sensor was shown to be bad. The code was cleared, car driven, error occurred again. Then, the sensor was replaced and now no error. I can only assume that this issue is resolved.

Also, please keep in mind that this issue and the ABS issue are not necessarily, and in my opinion most likely, not related.

I suspect that is what the Op is expressing, experience base with ABS indicates unwarranted ABS activation.
Exactly!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Sharkys
Advanced

I had 6 year old PS2s that felt like frozen hockey pucks. I felt ABS was activating prematurely. I bought new tires and the premature ABS activation went away.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:23 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by crabman
Actually, I've had the car about a year, and now have 12k miles. It always seemed a little off to me, but as the weather has gotten colder, it seems worse. Then again, these are Summer compound tires.

When codes were pulled, the sensor was shown to be bad. The code was cleared, car driven, error occurred again. Then, the sensor was replaced and now no error. I can only assume that this issue is resolved.

Also, please keep in mind that this issue and the ABS issue are not necessarily, and in my opinion most likely, not related.

Exactly!
What was your indication, how did you know, PASM was mal-functioning?
Old 01-21-2013, 03:57 PM
crabman
AutoX

I got this error
Old 01-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

That is PASM, Porsche Automatic Suspension Management (?). That controls the stiffness and reactions of the shocks. Traction control is PSM, Porsche Stability Management. That controls the traction control.

Similar Acronyms but different functions.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:54 PM
crabman
AutoX

OK. I've decided to get new tires.

This car is a daily driver, but also a second car. I no longer go to DEs, but still drive "spirited" on the right roads. Two of you have suggested Michelin Pilot Super Sports, and I'm afraid to ask because I know how impassioned people can get, but are there any other suggestions?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:48 PM
Sharkys
Advanced

Bridgestone RE-11s. I live in S. Cal on the coast so the weather is really nice. These are summer tires with great wet traction. I used to slide on the PS2 especially when approaching a stop and then the ABS would activate. I will try the MPSS just to try. They seem to have good reviews. Not sure how much better they will be compared to the RE-11s in the wet. I am happy with the 11s, just want to try the MPSS for a change.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:38 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Crabman- just checking, you still have the stock wheels, right? If you're running aftermarket wheels and tires you may experience trouble if the diameters are too disparate.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:54 PM
crabman
AutoX

Yes, stock wheels.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:55 PM
crabman
AutoX

OK, so I finally had the Michelin PSSs installed and picked up the car today.

At first it felt as though ABS was activating too soon, but then again it's 25 degrees F. Not the best condition for Summer Performance tires. After driving a bit to get some heat in the tires, the ABS felt a little less intrusive, but I think I really need a warmer day, and roads without salt on them, to really be able to tell what's up. Hopefully the PSSs will be money well spent.

The shop that replaced the tires did note that the old Pirellis were very hard, somewhat dry rotted and difficult to remove from the rims.

Quick Reply: Early ABS activation