Sponsored by:

Rattles Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 02:23 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rattles Fixed

A few months ago I started to get annoying rattles from both A pillars, specially when it is cold. When the sun is out and warm inside and outside the car they subside.

Thanks to some insight from Forum members, bought some black felt fabric and inserted them into A pillar and windshield gap, took a few trials to get it right, but now the car feels tight and rattle free.

Total cost of material: $2.35.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:24 PM
jeffrec
Racer

Good to hear and thanks for the tip. Does anyone have any experience with a creaking sound coming from the rear window pillars? I have an annoying creaking, sounds like body flex, coming from the passenger side rear window pillar area. Tried silicon spray on the window trim rubber and felt in the gap between plastic pillar and window, no luck. Any thoughts? Could it be the suspension? Only makes the noise when starting from a standstill or on uneven surface like a parking ramp.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:44 PM
ufischer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here jeffrec. Driving me nuts. At the last visit the dealer said it was coming from a worn shock. I will let you know of our fixes it.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:23 PM
jeffrec
Racer

Thx ufischer. Oddly enough I bought the car in September 2012 from a reputable Porsche dealer in Atlanta. It was a CPO car and had 19K miles on the odometer. If I have a bad shock I'm surprised Porsche didn't catch that in the CPO process. Also, fyi I have a friend who use to race 911's and he said that Porsche has extra firm suspension bushings that can occassionally create the suspension creaking sounds. Something else to look into. I also plan to ask my local PCA chapter at a get together Monday night. I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:23 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Originally Posted by jeffrec
Good to hear and thanks for the tip. Does anyone have any experience with a creaking sound coming from the rear window pillars? I have an annoying creaking, sounds like body flex, coming from the passenger side rear window pillar area. Tried silicon spray on the window trim rubber and felt in the gap between plastic pillar and window, no luck. Any thoughts? Could it be the suspension? Only makes the noise when starting from a standstill or on uneven surface like a parking ramp.
Try lowering your rear tire pressure by 5 PSI to see if it makes a difference. If it does, then go up one PSI at a time till the creak comes back.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:11 AM
garyinseattle
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you describe in a little more detail where you inserted the strips? I have the same issue when it is cold, seems to be coming from A pillar or drivers window, I can't really tell. Not sure if you have a coupe or cab, mine is a cab.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:12 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

I hear the same thing when it's cold in the morning. It sounds to me that it's coming from the windshield but it's very hard to identify the location. Only happens when the car is cold and only once so it's something I can live with.

Mine seems to be related to the movement of the car....backing out of the driveway!

Tom
Old 01-11-2013, 07:48 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

I have a coupe but the procedure should be the same.

I discovered this when I shoved my left middle finger into the space between the A pillar plastic cover and windshield while driving and the rattle went away, so I knew the cause and location of the rattle.

I cut the felt fabric into one inch wide strips (length of fabric two inches shy of the width of the windshield) and used a dull knife and shoved them into the space between the A pillar and windshield glass. Kept doing it til the space was packed nicely. The edge of the glass is black so the black felt fabric is not noticeable ( I have a sand beige interior).

Kept doing it till no more fabric was going in, about 6 strips fit on each side but yours might vary depending the gap you have on your car.

I would like to stress using a dull object to shove the strips in, anything sharp might cut the interior accidentally.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:30 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

I had a body creaking sound that I would hear intermittently but mostly with the windows closed. It also was much more prevalent during the rain. Sounded like maybe the windshield or one of the rear windows. Took it in and my dealer tracked it down to a front right ball joint. They replaced it under CPO. They are great
Old 01-12-2013, 12:20 AM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Felt tape is your friend.
I had rattles from EVERY one of the speaker grilles.
Guess what?
Felt tape saved the day!

They could just as well ship the cars with a roll.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:32 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Originally Posted by MagnusB
Felt tape is your friend.
I had rattles from EVERY one of the speaker grilles.
Guess what?
Felt tape saved the day!

They could just as well ship the cars with a roll.
Good idea!

Reminds me of a guy who loved the smell of coffee. He used to sprinkle fresh ground coffee all over his black carpet (Audi TT).
Old 03-01-2013, 02:18 AM
SecretAsianMan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any old felt tape, or is something in particular suggested? I have a bunch of interior rattles I'd like to track down.

There's one from around the light switch, one near the shifter trim, and one near the dome light.

Quick Reply: Rattles Fixed