Sponsored by:

Stuck Cupholder

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckymba
push the silver cover over the cupholders and it springs down and then the cupholders come out
The way I've used it is press the center of the bar between the cupholders, to release the cover bar, then push the cupholder I want, set it in position, then put the cover bar back in place (it keeps the cup holder from swiveling and should be put in place).

If the trim bar isn't coming out when you press it in to release, there must be something thats jammed it up.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:40 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

we have cup holders?
Old 01-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoore
I've always thought the cupholders were designed by someone's idiot nephew. "The lad's a dolt but I have to find something for him to do. I know - he can design the cupholders for the Americans."

I especially love the way that if you forget to close the silver "door" over the cupholders, they're free to swing sideways as you turn and eject your drink. I can't be the only Porsche owner who figured that one out the hard way. Plus, in my GTS the driver's side holder hung up as often than it would open. I often had to pry it open with a screwdriver. I had it replaced recently, no problems so far.

Great car, but the world's worst cupholders. Second worst piece of Porsche design, in my opinion, is the removable crossbar for the trunk cover in the Panamera. I have the retracting rear window screen, so the things weighs a ton and is a major PITA to remove. Reinstallation isn't as bad -- but that's not to say it's easy.

The good engineers obviously work on car dynamics and, as far as I'm concerned, they're brilliant. The apprentices, or idiot nephews, or whatever, get the car "convenience" projects. At least, that's my opinion.

DMoore
'11 C2 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S
If the cup holders are swinging freely your cup holder is broken. They are spring loaded and do not swing freely.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:05 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dadio
If the cup holders are swinging freely your cup holder is broken. They are spring loaded and do not swing freely.
They're spring loaded, but the spring isn't all that strong. If there's an almost full can of soda in the holder, and the access door isn't closed to lock the holder into place, the inertia of the can as you go around a corner can be enough to cause the holder to swing sideways and either eject the can or, at a minimum, tip it to the point that its contents spill out.

DMoore
'11 C2 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S
Old 01-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff
well, my feelings on how shoddy they are and whether a sports car even needs them in the first place aside...i will say they do seem to adhere somewhat to porsche's "form follows function" mantra in that their design allows the cup to be heated/cooled (depending on season, climate control settings etc) since they are in front of the vents when in the open position.

(ok, i actually read that somewhere but can't remember if it was a designer/engineer quote or simply an observation of the writer of the article )
I read that in the manual I think. What a joke. The cup holders in my 1999 Tahoe are in front of the vents! If the engineers at Porsche are so out of touch with what the consumer wants, it is not much of a company.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

They're spring loaded, but the spring isn't all that strong. If there's an almost full can of soda in the holder, and the access door isn't closed to lock the holder into place, the inertia of the can as you go around a corner can be enough to cause the holder to swing sideways and either eject the can or, at a minimum, tip it to the point that its contents spill out.

DMoore
'11 C2 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S
You're supposed to close the access door when the holder(s) are deployed.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:41 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

If you need reliable cup holders buy a Cayenne. Worst case scenario I can easily hold a drink in one hand while driving.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by Yet anothercrisis
I read that in the manual I think. What a joke. The cup holders in my 1999 Tahoe are in front of the vents! If the engineers at Porsche are so out of touch with what the consumer wants, it is not much of a company.
In the 997.2 the cup holders are also in front of the vents. One in front of the center passengers side vent, another in front of the passengers door side vent.

Whats the complaint here exactly? If the heater is on, it keeps your warm beverage warm, and if the AC is on it keeps your cool beverage cool.

The fact that there are cup holders at all is a great thing. I hope they never give the US customer what they want, I'd cry if they take up the center consoles space to put in cup holders to accommodate Big Gulps.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:10 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I know that I'll be wanting to drink something on the road I usually just put it in a contigo bottle and leave it on the seat. I don't trust the cupholders for any open containers as it seems to be too flimsy. Bottled water is fine.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:52 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Whats the complaint here exactly? If the heater is on, it keeps your warm beverage warm, and if the AC is on it keeps your cool beverage cool.
I like to drink cold soda all year long. It's really annoying when I reach for the cold soda I put in the cupholder 10 minutes prior and discover it's now hot because it's 60F out and the heater's on.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:23 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
You're supposed to close the access door when the holder(s) are deployed.
Well yes of course, I know that now. But I didn't read the manual to learn how to use the cupholders - at least at first. It's certainly the only car I've ever owned which requires study of the manual to use cupholders correctly. I'll actually spend quite a bit of time on the lot reading the manual before I drive off in a new car, but really... the cupholders? Is there another car on the road with such a complicated and ineffective design?

DMoore
'11 C2 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S
Old 01-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by sjfehr
I like to drink cold soda all year long. It's really annoying when I reach for the cold soda I put in the cupholder 10 minutes prior and discover it's now hot because it's 60F out and the heater's on.
Ah, that is an issue. What about closing the one vent that is behind your particular cup holder then, so no warm air gets send out of that vent. Problem solve?
Old 01-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Minok
Drifting

Is there another car on the road with such a complicated and ineffective design?
Ineffective? Mine works just perfectly. It holds the cup/can right where it should. What more should it do?

The only problem I have is cornering forces the coffee out of the small sipping hole in the lid. Thats not the cup holder's fault as those lateral forces would be applied to the liquid regardless of where they sat. I just need to corner more gently with coffee in the car.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:56 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

You realize the engineers did this on purpose. "What?? They want cup holders?? Well, we'll give em cup holders!!"

People will complain, they will remove them, the engineers will be happy (and add a few more HP) and all will be right
Old 01-08-2013, 08:10 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Ah, that is an issue. What about closing the one vent that is behind your particular cup holder then, so no warm air gets send out of that vent. Problem solve?
Thats what I usually do- if I remember to.

Quick Reply: Stuck Cupholder