Sponsored by:

Flat Tire

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013 | 12:55 PM
Porsche605
Advanced

Default Flat Tire

Started the new year off with a bang.

I got a flat in my rear right tire yesterday. I have the air compressor that comes with all 997.2's and the tire sealant.

I hadn't used the air compressor before. So, before adding any tire sealant I connected the air compressor to the flat tire and turned it on. It started to inflate the tire, but it just stopped working after about a minute of use. I checked that the power connection was good, etc. but no matter what I did I could get the compressor to turn back on.

So, since I couldn't get the compressor to work I didn't put any of the tire sealant in the flat tire.

I called roadside assistance and had them take my car to the dealer. There was no visible issue with the tire. So, I don't no if there is something wrong with the valve stem or the wheel and I had them flat bed my car to the dealer.

However, the service department at the dealer is closed today and I am without a car.

A couple of questions about this. Has your air compressor failed? Also, has anybody tried using fix a flat and tire sealant cans that don't require an aircompressor?

I certainly don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about driving my car outside of town where it may take forever for roadside assistance and I am stranded. I've seen some threads about spare tire options, but I am interested in what other solutions others may have come up with.

Thanks,
Old 01-01-2013 | 01:26 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by Porsche605
Started the new year off with a bang.

I got a flat in my rear right tire yesterday. I have the air compressor that comes with all 997.2's and the tire sealant.

I hadn't used the air compressor before. So, before adding any tire sealant I connected the air compressor to the flat tire and turned it on. It started to inflate the tire, but it just stopped working after about a minute of use. I checked that the power connection was good, etc. but no matter what I did I could get the compressor to turn back on.

So, since I couldn't get the compressor to work I didn't put any of the tire sealant in the flat tire.

I called roadside assistance and had them take my car to the dealer. There was no visible issue with the tire. So, I don't no if there is something wrong with the valve stem or the wheel and I had them flat bed my car to the dealer.

However, the service department at the dealer is closed today and I am without a car.

A couple of questions about this. Has your air compressor failed? Also, has anybody tried using fix a flat and tire sealant cans that don't require an aircompressor?

I certainly don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about driving my car outside of town where it may take forever for roadside assistance and I am stranded. I've seen some threads about spare tire options, but I am interested in what other solutions others may have come up with.

Thanks,
The compressor that came with my Cayman failed after about a minute. Likewise, a friend's for his '07 Carrera failed in the same time. I went out and bought a better inflator/ compressor even though my dealer replaced mine under warranty. Remember if you use the sealant that comes with the vehicle you may have to then replace the tire pressure sensor on that wheel. Oh where, oh where have the spare tires gone. Of course even if you got a space saver spare and inflated it to replace the flat where would you put the flat tire/wheel if it were a rear .... maybe behind the front seats.
Old 01-01-2013 | 01:40 PM
Porsche605
Advanced

Originally Posted by f4 plt
The compressor that came with my Cayman failed after about a minute. Likewise, a friend's for his '07 Carrera failed in the same time. I went out and bought a better inflator/ compressor even though my dealer replaced mine under warranty. Remember if you use the sealant that comes with the vehicle you may have to then replace the tire pressure sensor on that wheel. Oh where, oh where have the spare tires gone. Of course even if you got a space saver spare and inflated it to replace the flat where would you put the flat tire/wheel if it were a rear .... maybe behind the front seats.
What air compressor did you end up getting?

Yeah, my back seats are used by my boys that ride along with me. I had a 986 with a spare tire and this episode hasn't endeared me to driving on the edge without one. Not fun to say the least. Just glad that the weather was decent, etc as I had my two boys with me.
Old 01-01-2013 | 01:42 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

I have no idea, as like the OP I've never looked at the compressor before, but could it be an auto-shutoff when it gets hot? Is it still dead after sitting for a while?
Old 01-01-2013 | 02:03 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Did you check the fuse?
Earlier this year, plugged my compressor into the wrong receptacle (should use the console cig-lighter receptacle only) and it blew.
Old 01-01-2013 | 02:25 PM
Porsche605
Advanced

Originally Posted by P0rsch3F113
Did you check the fuse?
Earlier this year, plugged my compressor into the wrong receptacle (should use the console cig-lighter receptacle only) and it blew.
No, I didn't have the time and I didn't know what fuse to check.

I plugged the compressor into the receptacle on the passenger side foot area. I didn't see anything in the manual about using the cig-lighter recetacle though.
Old 01-01-2013 | 02:44 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

I plugged the compressor into the receptacle on the passenger side foot area. I didn't see anything in the manual about using the cig-lighter recetacle though.
The flat tire section (p 215 on my 09 manual) says to use the cig lighter but it isn't highlighted. It is also repeated in the section of the Electrical System and the section on the Cig Lighter. Search is so easy when you have the pdf version of the manual

You might also want to buy one of these 12v compressors. $50 at Amazon and highly recommended. Dave

http://www.viaircorp.com/85P.html
Old 01-01-2013 | 02:56 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Good chance that you blew the fuse. In mine it appears to be Row A F8. I've attached a pdf I made of the fuse guide which I find easier to read than the factory supplied microprint fuse guide. Good luck!
Attached Images
Old 01-01-2013 | 03:02 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Make sure to use the cigarette lighter outlet for the air compressor as it has the higher wattage rating. The passenger side outlet at the foot well will typically blow out it's fuse if you try to use it to power the air compressor.

I've used fix-a-flat once in an emergency but will not likely do it again. Sticky gunk sprayed out from the puncture hole all over my inner wheel well. It was a real mess to clean up. I've since gone with the Porsche Spare Tire kit. http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//997STK.html BTW, the rear tire will fit in the rear seat. From what I understand the p-car compressor is not very "capable", intended for emergency light duty use only, and should only be used with the wheel off the ground if possible. I know... hard to do since Porsche does not include a jack with the car. Hint... get an inexpensive scissor jack or the Spare Tire Kit which includes the jack. Definitely one area that could use some improvement and consideration by Porsche. BTW, I have AAA Premier, CC's, etc but nothing beats a spare tire to get you back on the road quickly.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 01-01-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-01-2013 | 03:47 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

No, I didn't have the time and I didn't know what fuse to check.

It's referenced in the manual in at least two places -
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
997 Sealant Instructions.pdf (725.5 KB, 123 views)
Old 01-01-2013 | 07:17 PM
Porsche605
Advanced

Originally Posted by dasams
The flat tire section (p 215 on my 09 manual) says to use the cig lighter but it isn't highlighted. It is also repeated in the section of the Electrical System and the section on the Cig Lighter. Search is so easy when you have the pdf version of the manual

You might also want to buy one of these 12v compressors. $50 at Amazon and highly recommended. Dave

Thank you.
Old 01-01-2013 | 07:20 PM
Porsche605
Advanced

Originally Posted by CAVU
Good chance that you blew the fuse. In mine it appears to be Row A F8. I've attached a pdf I made of the fuse guide which I find easier to read than the factory supplied microprint fuse guide. Good luck!
Thank you. I really appreciate the fuse guide!
Old 01-01-2013 | 07:27 PM
Porsche605
Advanced

Originally Posted by dasams

Thank you.
Old 01-01-2013 | 07:32 PM
Porsche605
Advanced

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Make sure to use the cigarette lighter outlet for the air compressor as it has the higher wattage rating. The passenger side outlet at the foot well will typically blow out it's fuse if you try to use it to power the air compressor.

I've used fix-a-flat once in an emergency but will not likely do it again. Sticky gunk sprayed out from the puncture hole all over my inner wheel well. It was a real mess to clean up. I've since gone with the Porsche Spare Tire kit. http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//997STK.html BTW, the rear tire will fit in the rear seat. From what I understand the p-car compressor is not very "capable", intended for emergency light duty use only, and should only be used with the wheel off the ground if possible. I know... hard to do since Porsche does not include a jack with the car. Hint... get an inexpensive scissor jack or the Spare Tire Kit which includes the jack. Definitely one area that could use some improvement and consideration by Porsche. BTW, I have AAA Premier, CC's, etc but nothing beats a spare tire to get you back on the road quickly.
Thanks for the info on fix-a-flat.

Yeah, I'll have to invest in a jack, a better air compressor, and good road side assistance service, but 1K is a bit much for a spare tire. Maybe I can find one on Ebay, etc.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-01-2013 | 07:47 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

From: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone

sounds frustrating....hope you sort it out....lots of good tips being shared here

good luck

Quick Reply: Flat Tire