Sponsored by:

turbos or s/c on the 3.6 base cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 02:54 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by rnp614
There IS something to be said about the smooth build of a single turbo...
and the very smooth turbo lag that it comes with...
Old 06-14-2013, 04:09 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
There's a reason TT has AWD, you don't have enough grip with that much Torque, it's essential to make the car handle right.
or handle more safely... I believe that's why the GT2 gets branded as the "widow maker".
Old 06-14-2013, 05:14 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
I'm on the fence with this one. I installed an SC on my prior E36 M3. My boys and I had a ton of DIY fun with that install.
supercharger only.
used VF kit can be found for $4-$5k. you can DIY, you also will need $1k expense for ECU flash. for street with 3rd radiator it works OK, best setup would be to make a 'sandwich' radiator with stock 3rd radiator still used for engine coolant and an additional radiator in front to be used in the intercooler.

for street this setup may work. do not be amused if engine grenades within a season or 2 - it is not designed for such load so you do play with fire there depending of original manufacturing defects or assembly defects it may or may not bite you back. anyway, anybody who goes down that road should be aware of a possibility to shell out for new motor.

I would also say, these days - just add more cash, sell your car, get a '07 997.1 turbo, get it flashed to 700hp and have fun. it is way more fun than a supercharged 3.6l base car. also plenty of opportunities for DIY projects on a turbo. and motor will be real mezger.

for me stock power with slight modification is more than enough now, I even got it back to stock ECU file at the moment and enjoy its smoothness and even pull at low rpms, partially may be as I finally fixed O2 sensors - car is running like new now, very nice feel.

turbo is all about boost, if you like boost - get a turbo. I like NA better but, 700 EVO flashed turbo car is also a lot of fun.

Quick Reply: turbos or s/c on the 3.6 base cars