Sponsored by:

Loud screeching from right side of engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 10:34 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by IslandS52
I went back and read some threads on AOS and a few do indeed mention loud squealing. I am not familiar enough with them to really know why they present that way. afaik BMWs never had them!
Failing AOS pulls vacuum on the crankcase- the squealing is air forcing its way through crankcase seals, which are not designed for high negative pressure. Blowing oil is obvious, but it can also make the most godawful stuck-belt-like screeching noise.

Good news is AOS is relatively cheap! If you're not willing to DIY it, at least get a new quote. $1400 is insane.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:03 AM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Failing AOS pulls vacuum on the crankcase- the squealing is air forcing its way through crankcase seals, which are not designed for high negative pressure. Blowing oil is obvious, but it can also make the most godawful stuck-belt-like screeching noise.

Good news is AOS is relatively cheap! If you're not willing to DIY it, at least get a new quote. $1400 is insane.
Learn something new everyday. Not only was I unaware of the fact the AOS could make the squealing noise I would not have been able to explain why either. Good info to know. As for the DYI you mention, if it's the one I'm thinking of, it also includes a DYI on the alternator cable replacement which, given the access afforded by doing the AOS R/R , should be replaced at the same time. That job will save you an additional $1200 if you had to have it done at some later date. This is a common failure and has been know to fail in cars as recent as 2008. My 2007 suffers from the problem and I will be replacing it this winter along with the AOS while I'm at it.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:00 PM
911ct
Track Day

997.1 C2 and C2S have different location for AOS(for C2 is on the driver side behind the intake manifold; for C2S is on the passenger side behind the AC compressor.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Dadio
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911ct
997.1 C2 and C2S have different location for AOS(for C2 is on the driver side behind the intake manifold; for C2S is on the passenger side behind the AC compressor.
There you go, learned something today that I didn't know. DYI I saw must have been on an S as it was behind the AC as you say.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

If you're out of warranty i'd stay away from dealerships. Plenty of good independent techs can take care of that for a lot less.

Quick Reply: Loud screeching from right side of engine