Sponsored by:

Touchless

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 02:44 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
The car is fine with no discernable swirls.
My local 'touchless' car wash has employees that wipe the car with their dirty, grit embedded towels. That's a guarantee for swirls which can't be prevented by drying the car yourself. A possible solution is to hand the employees clean microfiber towels but you still have to deal with the tracks and whether they scratch or damage your wheels (if they are too narrow). dave
Old 12-26-2012, 02:49 PM
gonz911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just use a rinse less car wash using a two-bucket system. They have a special polymer that prevents swirls and does a really great job. If the car has excessive dirt on it take it to a self service wash a rinse it off then wash as referenced above using a micro fiber sponge and micro fiber towels. Better than bucket washing.

There are several techniques and washing polymer - here's one:

Old 12-26-2012, 03:39 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by gonz911
Just use a rinse less car wash using a two-bucket system. They have a special polymer that prevents swirls and does a really great job. If the car has excessive dirt on it take it to a self service wash a rinse it off then wash as referenced above using a micro fiber sponge and micro fiber towels. Better than bucket washing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvhyJix0IVs
Ditto - this is great stuff - can do it in the garage, no hoses, looks great afterwards. A local detailer recommended it and I don't use anything else.

http://www.optimumcarcare.com/onrwns.php
Old 12-26-2012, 07:13 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I use touchless on my DD's and I haven't noticed any issues or damage to the cars. I agree that the chemicals they use to dissolve the dirt/grease on the paint will also strip off the wax.

There are two things I do to insure the cars look as good as they can.

1. Always use a wash that has a final spot free rinse (insures no spots or streaks on the paint which will cause permanent damage).

2. I always take the time to dry the car after the wash. The key to drying is to use very plush microfibers which will help pull any remaining dirt from the surface of the paint. This is very important as a touchless wash will not completely clean the paint. When drying the car I will firs spray the surface with a spray wax which adds lubricity and also adds some protection.

By doing the above the paint will stay in good shape through the winter and I will perform a full detail in the spring to include clay, mild polishing (as needed) and wax.

Washing by hand at home is definitely better but unleastic IMHO. Between dealing with freezing water on the driveway and paint, trying to keep your hands from freezing and getting all the necessary washing tools in/out of the house would be an all day event and not great results.
Why can't you wash it using the 2 bucket method or gary dean method in the garage? It's cold but not ice cold inside the garage.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by hakaida702
Why can't you wash it using the 2 bucket method or gary dean method in the garage? It's cold but not ice cold inside the garage.
I have been debating this and I may give it a shot.

How many microfibers do you need to do a whole car assuming the car is very dirty (subject to road salt/sand)? How do you get the dirt out of the crevices/trim?

Do you end up with lots of sand/dirt on the garage floor?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:24 PM
gonz911
Pro

I can typically do it with 2 large micro fiber towels although 1 can do the job. Use a micro fiber wash mitt though. I bought mine at Target. I also do the wheels separately with another mitt and separate water. I do this because of all the brake dust and grime as well as I always do the wheel barrels. I now use this method instead of the rinse/water bucket system.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:15 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
My local 'touchless' car wash has employees that wipe the car with their dirty, grit embedded towels. That's a guarantee for swirls which can't be prevented by drying the car yourself. A possible solution is to hand the employees clean microfiber towels but you still have to deal with the tracks and whether they scratch or damage your wheels (if they are too narrow). dave
That's why I tell them I want to dry my own car with my own towels before she comes off the line. Their guys never lay a rag on it. They pull my car off to the side, blown dry but not 100%. I do the rest.

I'm telling you, the car looks fantastic in my garage after a coat of quick wax. No swirls, no scratches, nothin'.

Too bad it's snowing here tonight and crap weather for the rest of the week. I'm itching for a drive.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:33 PM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the 2 bucket method quite a bit using warm water in my garage. But during the winters I like to get the underside sprayed down at least every few weeks. I've tried the touchless washes, and the wash bays where you spray with a pressure washer. Both work just OK. There is no great way to do this when it is 34 degrees outside.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:22 AM
hakaida702
Racer

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I have been debating this and I may give it a shot.

How many microfibers do you need to do a whole car assuming the car is very dirty (subject to road salt/sand)? How do you get the dirt out of the crevices/trim?

Do you end up with lots of sand/dirt on the garage floor?
I have 6 large drying towels and a ton of smaller microfiber towels if I don't feel like cranking up the air blower.

I try to keep the car pretty clean (wash it every other week and use chemical guys V7 spray sealant weekly) so there's very little dirt on the ground. Most of the dirt seems to get trapped in the mitt and under the grit guard in the bucket.

If there's dirt in the trim I'd soak a mf towel with whatever car wash product you used to wash the car and let the towel rest on it and hopefully the dirt will be able to be removed by blotting it dry with a separate mf towel.

I suppose that I'm lucky to live in an area that doesn't have harsh winters that leave a lot of junk on your car.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Bdal451
Intermediate

Zano is the best stuff
Old 12-31-2012, 10:00 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
Alright, ya bastids... you all spooked me enough with the wax stripping comments that I went out to the garage last night and applied a coat of quick wax. At least there's some extra protection now, if indeed the wax was stripped by the wash.

Either way, though, the car looks great. Clean and slick.

Thanks for the replies.

Mike,

As long as you do not care about the long term effects on the finish of your car, use the harsh chemicals as often as you want.

I don't even use those places on my leased cars, let alone on the 997S that I own. But then again, even though they might be new high end German machinery that are leased and go back in three years or less, I still do not want to screw up the finish.

Seek out some "high end" hand wash places that will keep your finish perfect. Or wait for the days when the temp is hovering around 40 and wash it properly in your driveway.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:59 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gonz911

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvhyJix0IVs
There are professional mobile detailers that use rinseless washing (Optimum No Rinse). And surprisingly they don't use two buckets even on Ferraris, Bentley, etc.
As long as the bucket has grit guard at the bottom one bucket is more than adequate so as long as you keep turning the towel or have several towels on hand.
The polymers pull the debris to the bottom so that the clean water stays on top.

If you have a heated garage there really is no reason to go to a drive thru car wash during winter. I will however go to a coin operated car wash and spray in the wheel wells and underneath after the car has been on freshly salted roads.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:16 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
There are professional mobile detailers that use rinseless washing (Optimum No Rinse). And surprisingly they don't use two buckets even on Ferraris, Bentley, etc.
As long as the bucket has grit guard at the bottom one bucket is more than adequate so as long as you keep turning the towel or have several towels on hand.
The polymers pull the debris to the bottom so that the clean water stays on top.

If you have a heated garage there really is no reason to go to a drive thru car wash during winter. I will however go to a coin operated car wash and spray in the wheel wells and underneath after the car has been on freshly salted roads.
My detailer introduced me to ONR and he insists on two buckets...so I use two buckets. He does only high end cars - take a look at the gallery.

http://www.proreflection.com/info.html
Old 12-31-2012, 03:36 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well if you have plenty of clean towels you don't need the second bucket since there's no double dipping and you're only working with clean towels.

For instance, one guy sells a small bucket, almost a pale with a lid. Very portable. It's full of neatly folded smaller towels. You add the rinse solution to soak all the towels. And then remove one towel at a time, cleaning each panel in one long sweep in the direction of the wind. Turn the towel with each pass.
Car is clean in 5 minutes. No big production.

here it is.

Quick Reply: Touchless