Sponsored by:

Inner door seal replacement?

Old 12-23-2012, 06:55 AM
Beer Brewer
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Inner door seal replacement?

Hi All,

I have a problem with water ingress into the doors on my 2005 C2, which I understand is not entirely uncommon. Apparently the cars are fitted with some kind of plastic sheet or seal between the inner and outer door panels, which can fail and allow water to intrude and wet the carpeted section of the door panel. So my question is - can this "seal" be purchased anywhere so my indie can replace it? Or do I have to replace the inner panel b/c the seal is integral? I just need to know exactly what to get in ordr to fix it - it drives me nuts when it rains! Oh, and where can I source the part(s)?

Thank you!

Pete
Old 12-23-2012, 12:26 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

You're talking about the "vapour barrier". Most of the time it just needs to be resealed, you won't be able to tell until you take off the door panel and see what your problem is. That is the first step a shop or the dealer will take.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

The usual fault is by someone being in there earlier and simply not putting it back correctly. The factory installs usually last many many years. Once you pull all the interior door parts off you will see the plastic barrier that apparently needs to be resealed--it may have dropped down in a couple of critical places from poor reinstallation.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Beer Brewer
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok guys, thank you! i'll take it into my mechanic and have him have a go at it.

Thanks again,

Pete
Old 12-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually it's not plastic. It is a piece of sheetmetal with a seal along the edge. It's mounted with hardware to the door structure. If the mating surfaces are not cleaned properly before installing the new one, it will not seal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Inner door seal replacement?