Best N rated tyres for a 997

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Tan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best N rated tyres for a 997

Hi

In order to renew the warranty on my brother's 997, he needs to replace all of the tyres, as he can't get one Michelin Pilot sport N3 that he needs.

The question is now what are the best tyres to go for Michelin Pilot Sport N4's or Continental Sport Contact 3 N1?

The car is used for day to day driving and never tracked.

One concern that he does have is being in the same position again in the short term, i.e. that the tyres get discontinued and he has to change the whole set again, as they all have the same N rating to comply with Porsche's warranty restrictions and possible also car insurance.

I have been told that there are N5 variants in some sizes of the Michelin Pilot Sport and with a Pilot sport 3 and the Super Sport available, but not N rated yet, are the N4's getting near the end of their lives, but then I don,t know how long the Sport Contact 3's have been around.

Or would people recommend another brand of N rated tyre?

Many thanks

Tan
Old 12-17-2012, 04:19 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Does he have 18" or 19"?
Old 12-17-2012, 05:44 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Screw the "N" and get Michelin super sports.
Equal performance and last quite a while longer.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Tan
Intermediate

Hi

Thanks for the replies, however as the car is under warranty through Porsche UK, they insist that all tyres are N rated and all forur have to be of the same brand and same N-rating in order to comply with the warranty, the legal limit in the UK is 1.6mm, however for warranty compliance Porsche insist on a minimum of 3mm.

In the past it has bitten them a few times, where they have had to pay for the replacement of all the tyres as one had needing replacing and the same tyre with the same N rating was no longer available.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Tan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by David A
Does he have 18" or 19"?
they are 18's
Old 12-17-2012, 08:14 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Tan
Hi

Thanks for the replies, however as the car is under warranty through Porsche UK, they insist that all tyres are N rated and all forur have to be of the same brand and same N-rating in order to comply with the warranty, the legal limit in the UK is 1.6mm, however for warranty compliance Porsche insist on a minimum of 3mm.

In the past it has bitten them a few times, where they have had to pay for the replacement of all the tyres as one had needing replacing and the same tyre with the same N rating was no longer available.
What possible warranty item could be denied by not using n-rated tires - the radio?
Old 12-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Tan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
What possible warranty item could be denied by not using n-rated tires - the radio?
In order to renew the warranty, which in this case will be due in January, the car is required to under go what is know as a 111 point check. The tyre condition as well as the brand, model and N rating of all tyres must reach the required standard or the warranty can't be renewed (or applied if the car is not warrantied at the time of undergoing the test).

Bizarre though it sounds, those are the rules as set out by Porsche UK, as they issue the warranties and is adhered to by all OPC's in the UK.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:43 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are the rules regardless of your location. Porsche CPO requires that brakes and tires have a minimum of 50% useable life remaining despite the fact that these are items not covered by the warranty. They are considered safety related issues. As for the N rating, they are the only Porsche tires approved for use on a Porsche.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Tan
Hi

In order to renew the warranty on my brother's 997, he needs to replace all of the tyres, as he can't get one Michelin Pilot sport N3 that he needs.

The question is now what are the best tyres to go for Michelin Pilot Sport N4's or Continental Sport Contact 3 N1?

The car is used for day to day driving and never tracked.

One concern that he does have is being in the same position again in the short term, i.e. that the tyres get discontinued and he has to change the whole set again, as they all have the same N rating to comply with Porsche's warranty restrictions and possible also car insurance.

I have been told that there are N5 variants in some sizes of the Michelin Pilot Sport and with a Pilot sport 3 and the Super Sport available, but not N rated yet, are the N4's getting near the end of their lives, but then I don,t know how long the Sport Contact 3's have been around.

Or would people recommend another brand of N rated tyre?

Many thanks

Tan
Either tire should be just fine.

Thus your brother can elect to buy the less expensive tire, which I believe would be the Continental.

OTOH, if he gets the Michelin tires with the N4 classification if (big if) he needs to replace one or two tires in the future he should have better luck finding Micheline N4's. My thinking is the Continential N3's are probably due to be replaced soon thus he could be facing something similar again.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Tan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Macster
Either tire should be just fine.

Thus your brother can elect to buy the less expensive tire, which I believe would be the Continental.

OTOH, if he gets the Michelin tires with the N4 classification if (big if) he needs to replace one or two tires in the future he should have better luck finding Micheline N4's. My thinking is the Continential N3's are probably due to be replaced soon thus he could be facing something similar again.
Thanks for your reply. I think it is a gamble either way, as the Conti's are N1 and the Michelins are N4, but either could be due for replacement soon, as I cant get a release date it's hard to gauge.

I think he has decided to go for Michelin's as he has them now, so better the devil you know and they are coming in at only £50 more expensive and are rumoured to last longer.

Quick Reply: Best N rated tyres for a 997