Sponsored by:

More Ridgecrest Blvd

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 09:11 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts
Default More Ridgecrest Blvd

It's cold and wet in the Marin which means limited traffic and so what better time to take the S for a spin?

Ridgecrest on Mt Tam is the destination which affords plenty of chances to practice heel & toe down shifts. Or rather ball-of-foot and roll on to the outside for a blip. Or at least that's the theory but the brake pedal is too damn high to easily reach the gas pedal I see a mod in my future.

I'm also finding that the 3 to 2 downshift is the toughest to rev match. Anyone else?

Here are a few pics including a shot of the street I live on. dave
Attached Images     
Old 12-15-2012, 09:27 PM
ronole
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice pics! Thanks for posting. R
Old 12-16-2012, 01:00 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Great pics....thanks! That yellow sign in the last pic reminds me of a girl I used to know

Tom
Old 12-16-2012, 01:12 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 584 Posts

Awesome pics - thanks
Old 12-16-2012, 03:47 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Great way enjoying a play in the wet
Awesome pics!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:28 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Great pics....thanks! That yellow sign in the last pic reminds me of a girl I used to know

Tom
Was her nick name "Amazing Grace?"
Old 12-16-2012, 07:49 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Was her nick name "Amazing Grace?"
You knew her too!

Tom
Old 12-16-2012, 09:32 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44

Tom
wow, you used to know a girl??
Old 12-16-2012, 09:33 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
It's cold and wet in the Marin which means limited traffic and so what better time to take the S for a spin?

Ridgecrest on Mt Tam is the destination which affords plenty of chances to practice heel & toe down shifts. Or rather ball-of-foot and roll on to the outside for a blip. Or at least that's the theory but the brake pedal is too damn high to easily reach the gas pedal I see a mod in my future.

I'm also finding that the 3 to 2 downshift is the toughest to rev match. Anyone else?

Here are a few pics including a shot of the street I live on. dave
wow! nice,
can you elaborate on what you mean by the rev matching?
Old 12-16-2012, 10:13 AM
911Steve
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are nice pictures, the 911 looks perfect on that road, thanks for sharing.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:28 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

Great Pics! Thanks for sharing!

As for the rev matching, can you explain what the problem is. Are you having a hard time getting the shifter into 2nd from 3rd or are you having a hard time finding the right rpm's?
Old 12-16-2012, 11:44 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
Great Pics! Thanks for sharing!

As for the rev matching, can you explain what the problem is. Are you having a hard time getting the shifter into 2nd from 3rd or are you having a hard time finding the right rpm's?
I'm having a hard time blipping the engine to the right rpm's on a 3 to 2 downshift. Done right, the transition should be smooth but my shifts are jerky as the rpm's are either too high or too low. Since Ridgecrest has limited sight lines and nonexistent run off room, the speed is limited and I haven't practiced the 4 to 3 shift except at low rpm's which is easy. The challenge is rev matching at, say, 6,000 rpm. I've had the car less then two weeks.

Today looks like another wet one but no matter, I'm heading back to Ridgecrest for more 'practice'. dave

Nice avatar btw...
Old 12-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

fskof,

Great Car! You are right about 3rd to 2nd gear shifting. It's all about the timing and it cannot be rushed. I find that you need to smoothly shift by pulling back first into neutral, pulling the shifter over then blipping the throttle shifting into 2nd. 3rd to 2nd shifting cannot be done in one singular action with the stock shifter. You can improve the action buy upgrading to a B&M Short Shifter. Many of us have upgraded to this option and the shifting is fantastic. Try to practice this slower technique and you'll find that your shifting is smoother with less missed-shifts. The key is not to blip the throttle until you're hovering over 2nd gear with the shifter. Also, you're not trying to match the RPM you're blipping the throttle and slowly letting out the clutch so the motor RPM smoothly matches the speed and gear you're in. You're not a PDK computer so smooth action and remember not to abruptly shift or let out the clutch.

Also, Porshce uses that long gas pedal that hinges at the bottom for a reason, so use it to your advantage. Typically, I like to use my entire leg for modulating the brake so I position my heel on the brake pedal. The front of my foot is position at the top of the gas pedal where I can easily blip the throttle. Sort of like a metal head drummers us a technique called heel-toe action. I'm sure other guys do the opposite but my foot can't bend the other way so if you're like me use that big pedal to your advantage.

Good luck.....
Old 12-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

I don't believe you should ever be in a situation where you're down shifting where your RPM is at 6,000 RPM. That only give you 1,000 RPM's to work with before your next shift. You want to stay in the power band around 4,000-5,000 RPM's if possible. I've driven roads and parts of tracks where I've never had to shift out of 2nd or 3rd gear. Watch some of the Porsche GT3 youtube video and you'll find that these guys only shift 5 times around the entire track. These 3.8l motors have tons of torque so use it to your advantage.

Originally Posted by dasams
I'm having a hard time blipping the engine to the right rpm's on a 3 to 2 downshift. Done right, the transition should be smooth but my shifts are jerky as the rpm's are either too high or too low. Since Ridgecrest has limited sight lines and nonexistent run off room, the speed is limited and I haven't practiced the 4 to 3 shift except at low rpm's which is easy. The challenge is rev matching at, say, 6,000 rpm. I've had the car less then two weeks.

Today looks like another wet one but no matter, I'm heading back to Ridgecrest for more 'practice'. dave

Nice avatar btw...
Old 12-16-2012, 12:52 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Break the shift into 2 separate events - the physical shifting by your hand, and the rev matching by your feet.
You don't have to match until you let the clutch out, so go ahead and get the shift over with, then focus on your feet.
Simplifying it into separate events helped me, but I'm by no means proficient at it.
Nice roads and pics!

Quick Reply: More Ridgecrest Blvd