Sponsored by:

Normal Wear for Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 02:52 AM
drummin4fun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I still maintain that the fronts take the brunt of the effort. Why else have six pistons and a larger caliper up front and only 4 pistons and a smaller caliper out back?
My contention as well... but this service manager said specifically that the wear on the rear is often quicker than on the front due to the weight of the engine in the rear.

I'm calling B.S. and I certainly wouldn't have them perform service on my car, if their service department works on the same premise.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:58 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I still maintain that the fronts take the brunt of the effort. Why else have six pistons and a larger caliper up front and only 4 pistons and a smaller caliper out back?
I never claimed that the front brakes don't play a major role in braking. My point is with the rear or mid-engine layout and the subsequent weight the rear tires carry the rear brakes do more work than in other cars. If not then why 4 pistons?
Old 12-12-2012, 09:13 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 375 Likes on 225 Posts

Brakes on the front take the majority of the braking forces in all cars,Porsche is no exception. It's the fronts that usually wear out sooner. Maybe he drove with the handbrake partially pulled... Just kiddin'...hope not...
But I'm with Macster on this one,check for overrevs and track usage,that's where you can kill the rear brakes quite easily if you drive with the traction control On.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:11 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Indirectly, yes. My 03 Turbo has over 100K miles on its original brakes.

Contrary to the belief of some the rear brakes of the rear (and mid-engined) Porsche do most certainly play a larger role in stopping the car than in other engine layouts.

This is because the majority of the weight in over the rear axle. Sure under braking there is weight transfer but not as much as with other cars.

This has to be in order for Porsches to deliver their outstanding braking performance. This doesn't arise from the fronts doing all the work while the rears do very little. These cars a very well balanced and this applies to the division for braking between the front and rear axles...
I want to say again that the FRONT brakes of a 911 do the majority of the work. Proper brake balancing is part of the engineering by Porsche, but make no mistake, the fronts do the lion's share. Although there is considerable weight over the rear brakes, there is weight transfer to the front and the fronts do the work--this is why, for example, the calipers are significantly larger on these cars than the rear calipers. For the rears to wear so much suggests an imbalance that must be addressed.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:00 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

It could be that the car was parked for long periods of time with the hand brake on and the pads frooze to the rotars. I have seen this happen before where the pads begins to fall apart or crack after you move car that have been parked for months and the rotars and pads rusted/froze together. This is why you should never store or park any car for long periods of time with the hand/emergency brake on!

Last edited by fskof; 12-23-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:21 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JRW1
I am looking at possibly buying a CPO 2011 Carrera S with 12,000 miles, and I was told that as part of the CPO process, the rear brake pads had to be replaced, while the front pads were at 90%. Is this a normal wear pattern? Replacing pads after 12,000 miles in a normal car would seem very early, but I don't have any experience with a Porsche.
I too don't have any experience with porsche cars, but learning a lot over the last 14 months from a great bunch of guys on this forum.

Firstly the brakes: My take is that the front brakes have already been replaced by the previous owner, and the rear brakes have been left alone, and traded to dealer.

The front brakes usually wear the quickest. This car could have been tracked a lot, or driven with vengeance.
The car's worth a lot of greenbacks so dig deep into the cars past before you spend your hard earned !

Neil
Old 12-23-2012, 05:25 PM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you know the front pads (or the rears) are the original set after 12k?

If the car is tracked alot, it could be on it's 2nd set of fronts and 1st set of rears.

For example, I drive about 9k miles per year, with 1,500 miles occurring on the track. If that were my car, my pad situation at 12k would be exactly like what you could be seeing. New fronts while the original rears are reaching the end.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:31 AM
djantlive
Drifting

it's not hard to detect if the car was tracked. look for those signs in the radiator, rocker panels for track rubber marks.

if the car was tracked, both F & R brakes would have been replaced together. it is possible that race pads were used in front and thus not documented.

either way, who knows. since this is a cpo, you should be covered if there is a problem with the car.

what we do know is that the service manager doesn't know what he is talking about or pulling a BS on you. there is no way that rears wear faster than front unless the car was in a drifting contest

normal brake wear should last 30-70k mi in my experience, depending how much freeway driving you do.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:07 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Maybe he drove with the handbrake partially pulled...
^^ sadly, this is one way to chew up the rears without affecting the fronts. Dave
Old 12-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Originally Posted by drummin4fun
I had the service manager at my local P-car dealer tell me today that 12-20k is about normal for brake and tire longevity on the rear of the 997. wow.
Tires maybe but not brakes. I have 29 K miles on both front and rear pads and rotors on my C4S and plenty of life left. Bad proportioning value maybe causing rears to wear funny but that large a wear variance front to rear is not normal. As for the service manager, they'll say just about anything to get you to stop asking questions. As any future problems you experience with the brakes are not covered by your warranty once you drive it off the lot future brake repairs/ replacement is on your dime. Only difference is next time they tell you it's needs rotors all around.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:30 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
It could be that the car was parked for long periods of time with the hand brake on and the pads frooze to the rotars. I have seen this happen before where the pads begins to fall apart or crack after you move car that have been parked for months and the rotars and pads rusted/froze together. This is why you should never store or park any car for long periods of time with the hand/emergency brake on!
The parking brake on a 997 is designed the same as that on all 911s--there are parking brake shoes within the rear brake "hats" which are essentially drum brakes, while the rotors or disks do all the braking when you are driving.

If you have the rear hand brake applied all you are doing is wearing out the inside of the drum and the parking brake shoes. The rotors are unaffected and thus aren't wearing at all.

Quick Reply: Normal Wear for Brake Pads