All this talk about M96 vs. M97 - what's the straight dope? - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 997 Forum
Reload this Page >

All this talk about M96 vs. M97 - what's the straight dope?

Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All this talk about M96 vs. M97 - what's the straight dope?

 
Old 12-07-2012, 01:15 AM
  #1  
mgordon18
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
mgordon18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 796
Default All this talk about M96 vs. M97 - what's the straight dope?

On this forum I have seen two theories behind which cars have the M96 engine and which have the M97:
1. The M96 engine was in production (for both base and S cars) until sometime in 2005 when Porsche switched over to the M97 (for both base and S cars). The M96 engines had the "old" IMS. The M97 had the "new" IMS.

2. The M96 is the engine used in base cars. The M97 is the engine used in S cars. The IMS was changed over for both engines sometime in early 2005, so there would be both M96 and M97 engines with both old and new IMS bearings.
I'm in camp 2, but I'd love to know the facts.

The challenge: Post some sort of proof that your 2005+ Carrera S has an M96 engine OR that your base Carrera has an M97 engine.

I'm betting no one can. Prove me wrong!

Last edited by mgordon18; 12-07-2012 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Tried to correct the typo in the subject line.
mgordon18 is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 01:25 AM
  #2  
Mspeedster
User
 
Mspeedster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,105
Default

I'm also in camp 2.

There have been several '06-'08 MY Carrera (non-S) owners who stated their engines start with M96 and also '05 Carrera S owners who stated their engines start with M97.

But I've never seen an '05 C2S owner confirm their S engine starts with M96, nor an '06-'08 non-S owner confirm their engine starts with M97.

Edgy01 (Dan) posted this picture on how to confirm your engine number:

Mspeedster is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 03:50 AM
  #3  
Arctic Wolf
User
 
Arctic Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 212
Default

Originally Posted by Mspeedster View Post
I'm also in camp 2.

There have been several '06-'08 MY Carrera (non-S) owners who stated their engines start with M96 and also '05 Carrera S owners who stated their engines start with M97.

But I've never seen an '05 C2S owner confirm their S engine starts with M96, nor an '06-'08 non-S owner confirm their engine starts with M97.

Edgy01 (Dan) posted this picture on how to confirm your engine number:

Where on the engine is this number located?
Arctic Wolf is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 04:07 AM
  #4  
fanny bay r1
User
 
fanny bay r1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fanny Bay, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,038
Default

Just look at the sticker on your frunk lid it will indicate whether your car has an M96 or M97. Personally I'd rather have an M96 as there is a good retrofit upgrade (just do it when you do your clutch) whereas the M97 neccessitates an engine teardown to change out the IMS bearing. Both versions have this same design weakness!!
fanny bay r1 is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 11:00 AM
  #5  
mgordon18
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
mgordon18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 796
Default

Fanny bay - I guess you're in camp #1.

How do you explain the engine in M//DREI's 05 997 C2, mentioned in the thread, IMS replacement dilemma? His car has the M96 engine with the new IMS bearing setup? You're even a poster on that thread...

That's a great case-in-point. You can't assume the old, replaceable IMS bearings based on the engine model alone. His M96 has the new kit.

I'm positing that the M97 is not a sequential upgrade to the M96. They are simply two slightly different engines (one difference being that one has 325hp and the other 355hp), both in production at the same time... each acquiring mid-cycle improvements like the IMS bearings on their own schedule.

If someone could show me an M97 engine in a base car that would prove me wrong. Likewise, if someone could show me an M96 engine on an S car, that would also prove me wrong.

I'd like to straighten this out once and for all on this forum so all the bad info can be called out when it's given - and those people can be directed to this thread as supporting evidence.
mgordon18 is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 11:26 AM
  #6  
holden997
User
 
holden997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 95
Default

Originally Posted by mgordon18 View Post
On this forum I have seen two theories behind which cars have the M96 engine and which have the M97:
1. The M96 engine was in production (for both base and S cars) until sometime in 2005 when Porsche switched over to the M97 (for both base and S cars). The M96 engines had the "old" IMS. The M97 had the "new" IMS.

2. The M96 is the engine used in base cars. The M97 is the engine used in S cars. The IMS was changed over for both engines sometime in early 2005, so there would be both M96 and M97 engines with both old and new IMS bearings.
I'm in camp 2, but I'd love to know the facts.

The challenge: Post some sort of proof that your 2005+ Carrera S has an M96 engine OR that your base Carrera has an M97 engine.

I'm betting no one can. Prove me wrong!
I agree with #2.

Here is the proof, see pages 9 and 10:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/93289189/Po..._1952-2012.pdf
holden997 is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 12:55 PM
  #7  
Luckymba
User
 
Luckymba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 111
Default

Originally Posted by fanny bay r1 View Post
Personally I'd rather have an M96 as there is a good retrofit upgrade (just do it when you do your clutch) whereas the M97 neccessitates an engine teardown to change out the IMS bearing. Both versions have this same design weakness!!
I agree I'd rather have the old bearing that can be easily replaced - in fact did just that about a month ago at the same time I did the clutch. I have a 2005c2S with a M97 engine with the old bearing so as long as you have an early 05 you can do it with both the M97 and M96.
Luckymba is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 12:57 PM
  #8  
mgordon18
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
mgordon18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 796
Default

Holden, you are my one, true love.

That doc shows:
  • The M96 engine was in production between the years 1998 and 2008 and was used in base 997s (starting in 2005)
  • The M97 engine was in production between the years 2005 and 2008 and was used in S 997s only
I think we're done here. Whenever someone starts posting wrong information about this topic, please refer them back to this thread!
mgordon18 is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 01:09 PM
  #9  
fanny bay r1
User
 
fanny bay r1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fanny Bay, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,038
Default

In all fairness we may be being far too clinical here and applying aircraft levels of configuration management in terms of what are only cars!! It may be the case that during a transition phase of an engine upgrade many mods/parts are utilized based of their logistic availability M97's are on the line in 05 but a few hundred old IMS bearings are left to be used up or the new one aren't available yet!! Who knows???

They are German but even Germans have an **** limit!!
fanny bay r1 is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 01:33 PM
  #10  
mgordon18
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
mgordon18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 796
Default

Originally Posted by fanny bay r1 View Post
In all fairness we may be being far too clinical here and applying aircraft levels of configuration management in terms of what are only cars!! It may be the case that during a transition phase of an engine upgrade many mods/parts are utilized based of their logistic availability M97's are on the line in 05 but a few hundred old IMS bearings are left to be used up or the new one aren't available yet!! Who knows???

They are German but even Germans have an **** limit!!
That's exactly the point. There are M96s out there with the old bearings and M96s out there with the new.

And there are M97s out there with the old and M97s out there with the new.

The bearings you have have nothing to do with the engine type in your car. The bearings are only dependent on whether or not your car (either M96 or M97) was built before or after they upgraded the bearing set for your engine.

In another thread we estimated that Porsche changed the M97 over to the new bearings sometime in the neighborhood of February 2005. If your car was built significantly AFTER that date, you probably have the newer bearings. But anywhere near that date and it's a toss-up.
mgordon18 is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 03:16 PM
  #11  
alpine-al
User
 
alpine-al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 627
Default

Originally Posted by mgordon18 View Post
Holden, you are my one, true love...
I'll take some credit for the engine list too. The link posted by Holden goes to the file in my DropBox. And, it's only proper for me to give credit to Loren, who posted the file on RennTech a couple of months ago.

.
alpine-al is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 04:45 PM
  #12  
utkinpol
Super User
 
utkinpol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 5,882
Default

core IMS assembly is same for both M96 and M97 engines, with very minor diffs. M97 is a 3.8L, M96 is a 3.6L.
both engines had many internal modifications made to them during their lifecycle, not only to IMS, most significant change was in mid-2006, some minor changes were done in 2008.

any IMS disregarding of its version may potentially fail, if you want not to think about it - buy a 2009 car with 9a1 motor instead.
utkinpol is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 03:21 PM
  #13  
Mspeedster
User
 
Mspeedster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,105
Default

Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf View Post
Where on the engine is this number located?
Look under the rear of the car, driver's side (LH drive), and you should see it just like it's shown in the picture.
Mspeedster is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 09:23 PM
  #14  
MLindgren
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The D
Posts: 1,757
Default

Originally Posted by Luckymba View Post
I agree I'd rather have the old bearing that can be easily replaced - in fact did just that about a month ago at the same time I did the clutch. I have a 2005c2S with a M97 engine with the old bearing so as long as you have an early 05 you can do it with both the M97 and M96.
Uhhhhh, most of these fail before a clutch change is necessary.....

MLindgren is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 12:32 AM
  #15  
chsu74
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
chsu74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 7,560
Default

There are shortcomings in every Pcar engine design including the new 9A1.

https://rennlist.com/forums/10000064-post66.html
chsu74 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All this talk about M96 vs. M97 - what's the straight dope?


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: