Stop a newbie from making a bad buy

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 04:45 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stop a newbie from making a bad buy

Hi all,

Bear with me as I am new to the Porsche world and only in the last few weeks have started researching/looking for 996/997's. I have read about IMS, RMS, water pumps, thermstats, etc and am now thinking I should get a 2006/2007 997.

Having said that, I have three questions:

1. What are your thoughts on the price/value of this particular car? How much would you pay?

2. If you are in the Houston area, do you have personal experience with Omar at MotorWerks.

3. If you are in the Houston area, do you have a preferred PPI mechanic?

Thanks in advance - I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on my first Porsche.

Chris
Old 12-06-2012, 04:51 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

Hi Chris:

With the questions you have asked you may not have done enough research so as to be able discern a reasonably priced car from one that is over-priced. If you cruise the typical Internet car sales sites, you will get a good feel for what these cars are actually selling for. It takes a little effort but in the end you will end up with a purchase which does not turn into buyer's remorse 2 weeks later.

The essential thing to do is identify the type car you want and the options you have to have to make the deal. Remember to compare apples to apples. Do you want a coupe, cab, targa? Do you want a base model or an S. 2-wheel drive or all-wheel drive? 6 speed or Tiptronic/PDK (depending upon year), sport chrono, CPO or non-CPO, etc.

Don't rush into a purchase and make sure to have a PPI done by a reputable Porsche service facility. If I were you and you were paying to have a PPI done I would be right there to look at the car as the mechanic goes over it to have him point out the good, bad, etc. You will learn a lot just from that experience. Definitely worth the couple hundred dollars to learn and not get burned with a bad car.

I am not from TX so I can't help with Omar or a PPI. All I will say is that it seems generally to be a good practice to buy the newest example in the best condition you can comfortably afford while leaving about $4-$5K available to get the car dialed in as necessary re maintenance, tires, etc.

I think any year 997 is going to be a great car so long as you find one that has been properly maintained and not abused.

Good luck in the hunt.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:18 PM
iammulva
Racer

Thanks for the quick reply - see below...

Originally Posted by cairo94507

The essential thing to do is identify the type car you want and the options you have to have to make the deal. Remember to compare apples to apples. Do you want a coupe, cab, targa? Do you want a base model or an S. 2-wheel drive or all-wheel drive? 6 speed or Tiptronic/PDK (depending upon year), sport chrono, CPO or non-CPO, etc.
I think you are right to an extent because your response made me realize I don't know all of the possible options, but I know this much so far...

1. A coupe primarily - maybe a targa. Not cab.
2. Base model would be fine (I think), S would be better.
3. 2WD but I wouldn't ignore AWD
4. 6 speed
5. CPO if I can get it (for a car that is older than 2009) otherwise I'm not SO interested in CPO. I have also looked in to aftermarket warranties
6. I don't know what sport chrono is - I guess I still have to research.
7. I like the PASM - not sure if that how that is optioned on the models/years

Don't rush into a purchase and make sure to have a PPI done by a reputable Porsche service facility. If I were you and you were paying to have a PPI done I would be right there to look at the car as the mechanic goes over it to have him point out the good, bad, etc. You will learn a lot just from that experience. Definitely worth the couple hundred dollars to learn and not get burned with a bad car.
I'm definitely gonna have a PPI which is why I was asking for input on that. I've looked at sponsors of the PCA magazine and was going to use one of them barring any other input. None of the three dealers in Houston will do a PPI.

I think any year 997 is going to be a great car so long as you find one that has been properly maintained and not abused.
That's what I'm expecting/hoping for. Thanks again for your input.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Slamuth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$46,500 for that '06 C2S isn't too bad. You can find them a little cheaper. You'll find many strings in this forum with candid price comparisons. As an example, my '05 C2S has 35k miles on it now, and I bought it over a year ago for just over $40k. As Cairo implies, there are many options on these cars that can make them difficult to compare directly. You're on the right track with a PPI, although I'm not a Texan, so no advice there. As long as you stay committed to seeing service records and a PPI, that's a great start.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 161 Posts

Hi Chris:

With the questions you have asked you may not have done enough research so as to be able discern a reasonably priced car from one that is over-priced. If you cruise the typical Internet car sales sites, you will get a good feel for what these cars are actually selling for. It takes a little effort but in the end you will end up with a purchase which does not turn into buyer's remorse 2 weeks later.

I am not from TX so I can't help with Omar or a PPI. All I will say is that it seems generally to be a good practice to buy the newest example in the best condition you can comfortably afford while leaving about $4-$5K available to get the car dialed in as necessary re maintenance, tires, etc.

Good luck in the hunt.
well said...ps: are you Egyptian Cairo>?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Personally I don't like the automatic trany on an 07, I would of bought a stick shift if my budget was into an 07 range.

I suggest you drive as many as you can , get used to the feel of the car, then only you will know when the right one comes along..........enjoy the chase.

Neil
Old 12-07-2012, 07:27 AM
McCulla
Pro

Out of curiosity, are you REALLY Mulva?
Old 12-07-2012, 10:40 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

Tarek307 - No; but I had an egyptian cat named Cairo that I loved.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:44 AM
iammulva
Racer

No - just unimaginative. I adopted that user id a long time ago when I had to set up some account.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:24 PM
subparrnd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by iammulva
Hi all,

Bear with me as I am new to the Porsche world and only in the last few weeks have started researching/looking for 996/997's. I have read about IMS, RMS, water pumps, thermstats, etc and am now thinking I should get a 2006/2007 997.

Having said that, I have three questions:

1. What are your thoughts on the price/value of this particular car? How much would you pay?

2. If you are in the Houston area, do you have personal experience with Omar at MotorWerks.

3. If you are in the Houston area, do you have a preferred PPI mechanic?

Thanks in advance - I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on my first Porsche.

Chris
For the PPI, I would go to Eric at http://www.eurocarwerk.com/. That's where I went to get mine done before I made the jump.

There are cheaper cars out there, but you do need to just go drive them and see which one is the one.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:30 PM
subparrnd
Intermediate

What about this car?

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...28k-miles.html
Old 12-07-2012, 03:19 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

You're approaching this properly by researching and asking questions. As an FYI... Targa's are AWD. Sports Chrono provides for a more aggressive remap of engine responsiveness... a great little performance feature to have. I agree with the others that you should test drive as many different types as possible(at least a C2S, C2, and C4S) before zeroing in on the "right" one. For example, I determined after months of search and test drives that I wanted a 6 speed RWD C2S with CPO(my 1st p-car so the added warranty was comforting), Sports Chrono, PASM, and no NAVI. I found an '08 C2S which I love enough that I have not experienced any car envy whenever I see something else on the road. Take your time and pick the right one upfront. You'll be that much happier for years to come.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:29 PM
iammulva
Racer

Originally Posted by McCulla
Out of curiosity, are you REALLY Mulva?
Originally Posted by subparrnd
For the PPI, I would go to Eric at http://www.eurocarwerk.com/. That's where I went to get mine done before I made the jump.

There are cheaper cars out there, but you do need to just go drive them and see which one is the one.
Thanks, so far I called Koby and was looking at Swiss (but have not called them) since both of them are PCA sponsors, but saw on this site that the original Koby may no longer own/run Koby. Also, looked for Steve Ott(?) at Drivers Source but it doesn't look like he's there anymore (at least he's not on their web site.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:35 PM
subparrnd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by iammulva
Thanks, so far I called Koby and was looking at Swiss (but have not called them) since both of them are PCA sponsors, but saw on this site that the original Koby may no longer own/run Koby. Also, looked for Steve Ott(?) at Drivers Source but it doesn't look like he's there anymore (at least he's not on their web site.
I tried many times to do business with Driver's Source and they NEVER got back to me with any of my requests. So I just stop asking.

Eric at eurocar werks is a good guy. My buddy has them do all of his work on his P Car also.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:39 PM
iammulva
Racer

Excellent - Eric it is - Thanks for the recommendation.

@subparrnd - I like that car, although silver is not my first choice of colors. I realize it has a good amount of extras and service history. Thanks for pointing it out - I will consider it. Too bad he wants a sport bike, I've got a Triumph Sprint ST that I want to sell.

Quick Reply: Stop a newbie from making a bad buy