Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do when you have a flat tire?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 11:33 AM
desmoh
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do when you have a flat tire?

Friends, my previous 996 had a small spare tire that I used twice throughout my span of my ownership. My biggest challenge was how to transport the back tire since it does not fit inside the front hood or inside the car. I had to drive very slowly while the front hood is partially open and tied with a rope!

My 997.2 does not have a spare tire and as you know it has a container of goop and an air pump that looks cheap and undependable! What would you suggest doing in case of a flat tire incident? Should I buy a spare and store it in the car?

Thanks for reading and responding!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:45 AM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

AAA. I wouldn't put that gunk in my tire. Have the car flat-bedded home or to your shop for repair. As an alternative, there are some nice (and cheaper) compact spare tires that will work on a 997.2 with 19" wheels and will fit in the frunk. The 19" VW Touraeg spare will fit perfectly. They do occasionally show up on ebay for under $200.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by desmoh
Friends, my previous 996 had a small spare tire that I used twice throughout my span of my ownership. My biggest challenge was how to transport the back tire since it does not fit inside the front hood or inside the car. I had to drive very slowly while the front hood is partially open and tied with a rope!

My 997.2 does not have a spare tire and as you know it has a container of goop and an air pump that looks cheap and undependable! What would you suggest doing in case of a flat tire incident? Should I buy a spare and store it in the car?

Thanks for reading and responding!
Fitting a spare tire and necessary tools in the front trunk sure eats up precious cargo space.

But it may be a solution.

My concern is if you have to use the spare tire will its diameter cause the drivetrain any grief? On the front of a RWD only car there's no concern of course, but if you have to use the spare on the rear axle (and my experience is the rear tires are the real problem -- the front tire kicks up the nail, the rear tire picks up the nail...) what about the effect on the differential? And in the case of an AWD car what then?

Even though my Boxster has a spare, and my Turbo has a space saver spare I have a triple gold plated trimmed in platinum auto club membership (<$125/year) to rely upon.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:22 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

If your puncture isn't catastrophic, the gunk works. I've used it and driven home >100 miles on it in my Boxster. It is messy to clean up after though, as it stays a liquid inside the tire. If you search through the 987 forum, somewhere I posted pictures of the aftermath. I agree about the factory pump, although if Porsche says the gunk works and it does I suspect the pump will as well.

In all my years of driving, I've only had one incident that a gunk-like solution wouldn't fix and that was a long time ago. In the age of cell phones, I don't worry much about that happening again.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:46 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

1-800-Porsche, AAA, and the spare I bought for backup. I've had two flats and haven't used the gunk yet.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:01 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I carry the collapsed spare tire from a 996 turbo. The size is 16 x 5.5.

In town I will use AAA and a flatbed.

If I am in the middle of nowhere, and a back tire goes flat, I will put the good front tire on the back and the spare on the front. That is also what the manual states.

There is a thread about a C4 where the owner put 18s on one side and left the 19s on the other side.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...i-screwed.html
Old 12-04-2012, 02:19 PM
holden997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are planning to carry a spare tire, you will also need a JACK.
For me, I carry a tire plug kit.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

If you are out of warranty AAA roadside is a must.

Tire plug kit is a great option, as you have a small compresor in the tool kit, also a set of nips to grab the nail head.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:46 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the porsche tire insert that came with the aluminum jack.

I also have two guide pins to help align the tire when I put it back on.

Name:  99B4F6EC.jpg
Views: 3575
Size:  77.0 KB

That is the boxster spare on the car. Not the 996 turbo spare.

Last edited by ecostellodo; 12-04-2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I carry a space saver spare and jack kit in the back seat in the way its shipped for 997.2s that go to countries where a spare is required. Though if I got a flat, I'd first try the sealant and inflator pump, as thats a bit easier and doesn't require me getting the take-off wheel back into the back seat.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:59 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They ship a space saver and jack in the back seat? I bet all owners immediately remove it and leave it at home. Nobody wants to drive around with a spare inside the car.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:20 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a rear flat tire a few weeks ago at work. Used the Porsche inflater. Drove to a restaurant afterwards and it was flat again after 1 hour when I started my 30 mile drive home at night. Did not want to use the goop and have to clean up the mess afterwards so I just stopped over twice more on the way home and re-inflated it. It would go from 35 psi to 25 psi in about 10 - 15 minutes. Fairly rapid leak in spite of a small puncture because the nail had come out on its own. patched the next day without problem. Glad I did not use the goop.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
They ship a space saver and jack in the back seat? I bet all owners immediately remove it and leave it at home. Nobody wants to drive around with a spare inside the car.
Some countries require cars be delivered with them.
There is a kit that provides that for US drivers:
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...ode=997cwheels

It belts in nicely with the seatbelt.

In the cover, it fits nicely in the back seat. I'd rather have that in case I need to change tires in a rain storm at night by the side of the road, than sit there for hours waiting on a tow.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:34 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

/\/\....Is the cover large enough for the tire that came off the car to fit in?
Old 12-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Minok
Drifting

No, that cover only fits over the 'deflated and collapsed' collapsible spare... when the spare is inflated it too is too big. You need to put a couple of super-strong yard waste bags in the kit so that you can put the take-off tire in that, as that will take up the whole back seat:

Quick Reply: What to do when you have a flat tire?