Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can X51 Plenum & Intake manifolds be retro-fitted or has anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Gibbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can X51 Plenum & Intake manifolds be retro-fitted or has anyone done it?

Hi there

First things first I have a 2006 C2S and it already has X51 manifolds, PSE, Centre Radiator kit, X51 undertrays etc.

I now want to add:-
X51 Intake manifolds
X51 plenum
X51 Throttlebody
X51 carbon intake
Other stuff required, sleeves, hoses, tank vent hose etc.

This will give me pretty much the full kit all I shall be missing is the cylinder heads which are pointless as Porsche did so little to them and changing these turn a 4-6hr job into one two to three times longer, making it a lot more expensive.

I can do the above for about $4500 cost in parts and can do the installation myself, as I am capable with such stuff.

But when I look at images of the X51 intake design and standard I see a problem, check these images:-

Stock Engine Varioram design

X51 Engine - Varioram deleted

My Questions
So this question is to those out there who know how these engines work:-

1. Would installing the X51 plenum/Intake manifolds throw a CEL/Check engine light as its essentially deleting the Varioram, as I believe the stock none X51 design has butterflies/secondary plenum to help torque, wheras the X51 design deletes this. Can anyone confirm this or will it all run OK on the stock map without any check lights?

Obviously getting the X51 map would be ideal to get maximum potential from the added components.

2. Is any modification to the DME/Pins required if installing the above, I've looked at the X51 installation guide and not come across anything, but I don't know the ins and outs of how these engines work. Here is the installation PDF if anyone wants to download and view it:-
http://freepdfhosting.com/79289d48bf.pdf

If anyone knows the answers to my questions or can put me in touch with someone who has done this or knows what is required it would be hugely appreciated, if its a case of it will no way run on the stock map without throwing CEL's then I need to see if Porsche would be willing to load my car with the X51 map for a free or a fair charge. I am buying the parts from US and Germany as they are vastly cheaper than buying from UK. Shame the UK is so expensive really, its crazy I can buy it from the USA and Germany and its more than half the UK price even after adding shipping / taxes.

Thanks in advance

P.S. I could just get an IPD competition plenum/GT3 throttlebody as many are running this on stock map without issue, but that is goodbye warranty! Its also obvious the X51 plenum and intake manifolds are a big factor in the improved horsepower. I've asked Porsche the above questions and they are unsure is the answer. Obviously someone will know its just asking the person knows.......

Last edited by Gibbo; 12-03-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:40 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I'll be watching to see the responses - lots of interesting questions Hope you get some answers. On the warranty issue, I'd be just as worried about having only parts of the X51 power package installed - I can see a scenario where the OPC might try to deny any warranty coverage because not all the parts of the X51 powerkit were installed. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Gibbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone done this or looked into it?
Old 12-20-2012, 01:08 AM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts

Contact John @ BGB Motorsports. He can point you in the right direction.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:10 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may need to experiment on this one. The X51 has different heads; so most likely even if it can bolt on, the ports will most likely not be match. If there is a bad mismatch, it could create so much turbulence that it could reduce power. Further, on an X51 the varioram actuation is different to match the different cam timing and variocam programming. I have a feeling there will not be much benefit here without the ability to custom program the ECU and possibly some port matching on the heads. Personally I would skip it as most of the X51 gains have been shown to come from the exhaust manifolds and dollars/hp is not very good with the rest of the X51 kit.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:52 AM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts

Disagree. The heads are std M97/01,will bolt-on as they are only ported. The X-51 is a bolt on option "parts kit" designed specifically to do to the M97 what the OP is asking about.
Gibbo, your questions about compatibility will be addressed with a remapping of the DME which is required to obtain the benefits of the kit. Also to my knowledge there is no change to the wiring harness ... remember this is just an option kit that is designed to install to any M97/01.

Quick Reply: Can X51 Plenum & Intake manifolds be retro-fitted or has anyone done it?