Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY oil change - one tip

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Hey guys, is it possible just to change the oil filter only, between oil changes, or do you have to drain it all out first . I have a 997.2

Would a porsche dealer just do the durametric for you ? anyone had this done by a dealer with changing your own oil ?
Old 12-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Hey guys, is it possible just to change the oil filter only, between oil changes, or do you have to drain it all out first . I have a 997.2

Would a porsche dealer just do the durametric for you ? anyone had this done by a dealer with changing your own oil ?
The recommendation from the mechanic at my dealer was to not remove the filter until the drain plug had been removed as oil is held by a vacuum effect in the filter housing and can leak all over the engine. Maybe if you loosened it very slowly and slightly to break the vacuum you could do it, but why install a clean filter with dirty oil?

As to your second question, yes I've had the dealer reset my indicator after changing my own oil. They don't charge me, but some dealers might.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The recommendation from the mechanic at my dealer was to not remove the filter until the drain plug had been removed as oil is held by a vacuum effect in the filter housing and can leak all over the engine. Maybe if you loosened it very slowly and slightly to break the vacuum you could do it, but why install a clean filter with dirty oil?

As to your second question, yes I've had the dealer reset my indicator after changing my own oil. They don't charge me, but some dealers might.
Thanks for the reply Mike. I personally think that Mobil 0w 40 oil is good for 10k easily. After 2-3 k some people change the oil and filter, when just changing the filter only will help keep the oil cleaner, then do a full change at 5k. But your expalantion about the filter being constantly full of oil would prove too messy to switch the filter only.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:25 PM
mapolus
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Macster,

Do you use jack stands when the car is that far off-center??? I'm just an FNG here, but wouldn't want to see the side-wall collapse on those ramps...

A concerned poster,
Matt

Originally Posted by Macster
The ramps are wide enough.

Just try to position them better than I do....

Old 12-17-2012, 10:08 AM
D1coach
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 50 Posts

Pepboys in store coupon expires 12/31/12 - 5 qts Mobil 1 plus filter for $29.99 - limit 2 coupons.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:09 AM
D1coach
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 50 Posts

sorry here is the link:
http://www.pepboys.com/sale_specials...ge_dec2012_cp/

Quick Reply: DIY oil change - one tip