Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I don't have it. Do you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 01:48 AM
Renzsport
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an AM warranty when I bought mine a year ago. It was ~2500 for two years if I remember correctly. I was pressured into it at the dealer (non-porsche). Shortly afterwards, when I had time to sleep on it, I decided I wasn't happy with my decision. A few weeks later I got a letter from the warranty provider saying my warranty was downgraded because my car wasn't eligible for what I signed up for (cause the dealer will try to sell anything they can...). At first I was PO'd cause I'm getting less for my money, but then I called them and got it canceled! There was a disclaimer that they'd keep 100 (whatever, education isn't free), but I ended up getting all my money back.

The main reason I wasn't happy with the warranty "the next day" is because I read the fine print on the contract and they really don't cover anything significant and the total payout was something like 5-7k. I was totally lied to at the dealer, just lucky I was able to get out of it.

I don't know what warranty is like in the states, but up here it's pretty ridiculous. IF you do decide to get one, make sure you tell the person selling it to pipe down and read all the fine print! But really, these are well engineered machines. If you take care of it, there's no meaningful risk in running with no warranty.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:03 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

At the time I was driving my BMW (E39 540i) I was lucky enough to have a warrantech extended warranty (5y/50K) which cost 4800 if I remember it correctly, as was having all kinds of issues. The warranty paid 3 times it's cost over those 5 years. It was not easy to get the money from them, but eventually I got all I was supposed to. Due to this experience I am tempted to get an aftermarket warranty now for my '05 CS MT with 35.5K miles on it. I actually allowed a selesman to talk me into purchasing one for $3K covering 6y/72K miles with zero deductible from BDW. I can cancel it with full money back within next 14 days (left from original 30 days blackout time), but I am toying with idea of keeping it. I know that this is too good to be true and too cheap to be a fair one, but am thinking that 3K is not too much for a major problem gamble. In case it happened I would at least get my money back. Or so I think lol
Old 12-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Poshaman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems that the majority of the members think that purchasing aftermarket extended warranty is NOT a smart investment. Thank you for your inputs and please keep them coming.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:40 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought about it, but a $5000 investment in protection for a 5 year old car seemed like a bad idea. I opted to hang on to the $5000 and take my chances.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:08 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

This is a cost / benefit analysis.

For me, these cars have advanced electronics that cost thousands to fix. Get a quote on replacing your TPMS after the battery goes dead after 5-6 years.

If you make the decision to buy an exclusionary extended warranty early on when you have low mileage, it is a no brainer to buy one. I am paying approximately $325 a year for a 7 year/ 70K Fidelity Platinum policy ($100 deductible) that has expansive coverage. The 2008 S had 9,800 miles on it when I purchased the policy a year ago. For less than a $1 a day, you would be nuts not to buy one.

But the cost goes up considerably when your mileage is higher.

Rule of thumb. Buy the extended policy early on when you have lower mileage and accordingly in a lower rate structure.

Quick Reply: I don't have it. Do you?