Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driving you Porsche in winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 12:21 PM
cuttinsod
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had really good luck with the waterless car wash....spray on, wipe, buff out...all in the comfort of my garage....also leaves good protection and water beads and rolls off...it is able to cut through pretty tough grime and I haven't had any scratches from using it...
Old 11-29-2012, 12:51 PM
PCC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hazmanT4s
I have targa 4s 07 guards red wrapped in matte black 3m , do I have to rust proof the car or no
wrapped in Black matte .. can you post a few pics?
Old 11-29-2012, 01:40 PM
hazmanT4s
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default pic

Add Content
Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2012, 01:42 PM
hazmanT4s
Advanced

Default pic

More pic
Now am convinced , I bought my tires today and ill install them and I start driving haha
Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2012, 01:48 PM
hazmanT4s
Advanced

Default tires

These are the tires
Old 11-29-2012, 01:53 PM
hazmanT4s
Advanced

Default tires

Add Content
Old 08-05-2013, 09:30 AM
Mike Arendt
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi guys, just wanted to get your opinion on driving a 997 C2 in winter with winter tires???...looks like most of you have a C4S so I wasn't sure if you have experience using a C2 in bad weather?

I live in Northern VA/DC metro area. Probably will drive 200-300 miles per week--mainly highway.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-05-2013, 10:03 AM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's fine. I run with Bridgestone RE970 AS. Great tire. Dedicated winter tires are of course better when it gets really bad, but down there you're gonna see slush and chilly weather mostly. When you get hit by a blizzard all traffic stops anyhow. I've driven rear drivers up here for the past 20 years, never a problem. All about the tires.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:31 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm from Montreal originally. 996 carrera was best 2-wheel drive car I've driven in winter. Yours should be better. Pm for a phone number if you want details.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:42 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
I'm from Montreal originally. 996 carrera was best 2-wheel drive car I've driven in winter. Yours should be better. Pm for a phone number if you want details.
The conventional wisdom of the board seems to be that C2 is at least as good as any other 2-wheel drive car AS LONG AS YOU'RE ON WINTER TIRES. The fact that the weight is over the drive wheels helps you.

I took my car out in a snow storm (on winter tires) once as a test. It really did very well. I was passing by stuck cars left and right. And I got up the hill to my street with zero problems!

Also note that winter tires don't just help in snow and/or ice. They also don't become hockey pucks when the temperature goes down. Our summer tires' characteristics change once the temperature gets into the 30s F. They become much less effective at keeping you on the road. Winter tires are made to grip at lower temperatures.

I've been changing into winter shoes around Thanksgiving here in NJ. In NoVA I assume you could wait until mid-December or so. But if you're putting in 200-300 miles a week, you should definitely switch once the weather gets cold.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:11 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a great thread, am planning to drive my (newly purchased) 2007 997.1 CS2 in the winter in downtown Toronto. I've got a spare set of rims and plan on putting winter tires to ensure better grip & stability.

I've been looking for almost a month now but don't seem to see a lot of winter tire options for the specific rim size. I have 2 questions:

1. What are some winter tires that you guys have used and are happy with?
2. Is it cheaper to buy tires in the US and bring them over instead of buying them in Canada (Toronto)?
Old 08-05-2013, 02:28 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
The conventional wisdom of the board seems to be that C2 is at least as good as any other 2-wheel drive car AS LONG AS YOU'RE ON WINTER TIRES. The fact that the weight is over the drive wheels helps you.

I took my car out in a snow storm (on winter tires) once as a test. It really did very well. I was passing by stuck cars left and right. And I got up the hill to my street with zero problems!

Also note that winter tires don't just help in snow and/or ice. They also don't become hockey pucks when the temperature goes down. Our summer tires' characteristics change once the temperature gets into the 30s F. They become much less effective at keeping you on the road. Winter tires are made to grip at lower temperatures.

I've been changing into winter shoes around Thanksgiving here in NJ. In NoVA I assume you could wait until mid-December or so. But if you're putting in 200-300 miles a week, you should definitely switch once the weather gets cold.
Completely agree. Winter tires are a must because of the way they react (or don't react) to the cold weather notwithstanding whether there is snow or ice. I didn't mention whether he would install winter tires since it's my understanding that a law was adopted that requires cars to have winter tires during the winter months in Québec.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
This is a great thread, am planning to drive my (newly purchased) 2007 997.1 CS2 in the winter in downtown Toronto. I've got a spare set of rims and plan on putting winter tires to ensure better grip & stability.

I've been looking for almost a month now but don't seem to see a lot of winter tire options for the specific rim size. I have 2 questions:

1. What are some winter tires that you guys have used and are happy with?
2. Is it cheaper to buy tires in the US and bring them over instead of buying them in Canada (Toronto)?
Check out the Canada forum. There are members in the GTA who have found decent tire prices. Also, narrower (eg 265s) is better when it comes to winter tires.

Quick Reply: driving you Porsche in winter