Sponsored by:

Do you use your Hand Brake/eBrake?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 12:50 AM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
Educate me on the hand brakes. I've always assumed we are actuating the rear calipers via a cable. Hence, after a hard run, a portion of the rotors would be insulated and would cool at a slower rate creating the risk of warpage. Do I have it right? Dave
The emergency brake actuates the rear drum brakes via cable, not the disc brakes. The drum brakes consist of your rear rotors and a set of drum pads. The rear "drums" are the inner surface of the rear rotor hubs.

You shouldn't use your e-brake immediately after a track session, but not for fear of warping the drum brake, which is pretty unlikely. The risk is fusing and/or damaging parts in contact by putting them under pressure while extremely hot. The other risk is that as the drum brake components go from hot to cool, they contract. A brake set while hot isn't holding as well when cool because the parts have contracted. In other words, if you set the e-brake while its hot to just enough clicks to prevent movement, chances are that you'll be able to push the car when it's cool. I've seen that happen.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:07 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
Educate me on the hand brakes. I've always assumed we are actuating the rear calipers via a cable. Hence, after a hard run, a portion of the rotors would be insulated and would cool at a slower rate creating the risk of warpage. Do I have it right? Dave
I'm afraid not. Only the earliest disk brakes work that way, and not well. The pressures on calipers are much higher than we can comfortably apply with any mechanical set-up, so disks were developed with a small drum cast into the center. The emergency brake applies a traditional shoe arrangement. Drum brakes have a form of leverage that tends to clamp the shoe more securely against the drum if it tries to move. Picture a wedge-style door stop. That "self-servo" action is what made drum brakes non-linear in their action and made it so easy to lock up the brakes. Not good for the service brake, but for the parking brake, drums are still the optimum solution.

That advice about not fusing the pads to the brake disk at track events always makes me twitch for some instruments. It isn't the pads of course, it would be the little shoes inside that mini-drum. I suspect that the disk assembly cools below the bonding temperature for the lining on that little shoe long before I park if I take a proper cool-down lap. I suspect it, but I don't care to find out the hard way, so lacking instruments to measure all that, I just go along with the decades-old advice and avoid using the parking brake at track events.

Gary
Old 11-28-2012, 08:48 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1st gear + handbrake
Old 11-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

I always use the ebrake and never leave it in first gear....ever.

When I was a kid my dad was doing a compression check on an old Toyota. He wanted me to turn the ignition during the test. I've done it dozens of times so no problem. Long story short....I didn't engage the clutch, my dad left it in first gear with the ebrake off and the starter drove the car through the garage wall. I just missed crushing my father as he was repositioning to the side of the car.

I believe the 911 has a switch on the clutch so I don't think you can start it unless the clutch is depressed. However, I will never take that for granted again. I always tripple check to make sure the car is in neutral before I start and turn off the car. Everybody in my family is trained the same way.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:17 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
I always use the ebrake and never leave it in first gear....ever.

When I was a kid my dad was doing a compression check on an old Toyota. He wanted me to turn the ignition during the test. I've done it dozens of times so no problem. Long story short....I didn't engage the clutch, my dad left it in first gear with the ebrake off and the starter drove the car through the garage wall. I just missed crushing my father as he was repositioning to the side of the car.

I believe the 911 has a switch on the clutch so I don't think you can start it unless the clutch is depressed. However, I will never take that for granted again. I always tripple check to make sure the car is in neutral before I start and turn off the car. Everybody in my family is trained the same way.
sounds like a jarring day Spokane!
Old 11-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

What a creep.

Yes....thought all cars came with a clutch switch. That car had more issues than poor compression after I was done with it.

Originally Posted by rotesAuto
sounds like a jarring day Spokane!
Old 11-28-2012, 10:37 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Talking

wtf?? you're a creep!!

LOL, thanx for always being cool Spokane
Old 11-28-2012, 12:33 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

always
Old 11-28-2012, 01:19 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

I never set the ebrake unless I am on a significant incline in the 997.

Always put it in first gear.

Been doing this for many years without issue.

I do set the ebrake on my Jeep Wrangler as it is older and the clutch
is far from new. Plus, it's a Jeep, and nothing on a Jeep is designed to
work or last for very long.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:28 PM
PCC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I live on a pretty steep incline so I always set the brake, release the car's weight and then pt it in gear. This way the brake is holding the weight instead of the transmission. On flat ground I usually put it on but not as tight.
I tell my wife that over and over again
Old 11-28-2012, 02:14 PM
MMK110464
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

On AT, I put it in N, then hand brake and then P
Old 11-28-2012, 02:46 PM
kdieter
Track Day

Always use the e-brake when parked. I've had cars get bumped in parking lots and pop out of gear. I don't differentiate between inclines and flat, it's too complicated and this way I don't ever wonder if I forgot.

On automatic cars I never use the ebrake. But I have never and will never own an automatic Porsche so it doesn't matter here.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:47 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'll admit, this was a different post than I was expecting from the Rennlist home page.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:56 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts
Default Always use it, and you should, too.

This seems to be a popular question. SlickyRick just asked a similar thing.

I use the PB in all of my vehicles whenever they are parked--even when they are running and I have to get out of the car for just a minute or two and leave it turned on.

On an automatic, the parking pawl is all that is holding the car in place. If you've ever seen a parking pawl, it's almost always a pretty insignifigant mechanism. If you saw it, you would never trust it to hold your vehicle unless your parking place was dead flat (99% of parking spaces are not). If a parking pawl was sufficient, most states wouldn't require parking brakes and automakers wouldn't install them. Not to mention the fact that it is possible to turn off an auto while it's still in gear (a manual would be either in neutral or the clutch engaged while stopped) so if you did that, the pawl wouldn't even engage.

On a manual, the only thing holding the vehicle in place when it's in gear is engine compression. I have seen enough manual cars slip out of gear that I would never trust the driveline to hold a car on any kind of incline, either.

The parking brake is there for a reason. Safe driving practices are learned through habituation. So, you should habitually use your parking brake no matter what vehicle you're driving.

By the way, I was taught that the proper procedure for parking a manual car on a hill is to put it in a forward gear when facing uphill and in reverse when facing downhill AND use your parking brake. Parking brakes can fail, too, which is why you use a combination of the driveline and the brake.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:04 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
I'll admit, this was a different post than I was expecting from the Rennlist home page.

lol

Quick Reply: Do you use your Hand Brake/eBrake?