06 C4S as a daily?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 10:57 AM
mrm 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 06 C4S as a daily?

My question:
Any comments on using a 997.1 C4S as a daily driver? I am currently driving a 10 BMW M5 as my daily - and I am thinking of selling it. It has 42K on it and I either keep it and buy the extended warranty by June (about $5K) or sell/trade it now. The 60K mile service on the M5 is a bitch (so I have been informed). I have been thinking about a C4S.

Drive it a few years - then sell/trade for a Panamera GTS.

I am looking at a Speed Yellow with GT3 Aero kit, yellow seat backs, yellow gauges and belts. Seems fairly loaded. 21K miles and in perfect shape. I can probably trade for it straight up and no money. The C4S will come with the CPO extended warranty. So - go/no go?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Mark
Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been driving C4S as daily driver for the last few years (first an 08, now 2011.)
Second set of wheels with snow tires for winter.

It's been awesome driving it everyday rather than walking past it as it sits in the garage! Snow has only been an issue when neighborhood roads haven't been plowed yet...factory aerokit exacerbates the issue. AWD works great in winter conditions...you'll be fine in the hills of Omaha (I did ten years' time there.)

Almost invariably, when I'm filling up at the gas station, people see the ski rack during the winter and they will comment "that's so cool that you actually drive your car!"

You also have to think about the logistics of your daily life, running to Home Depot and stuff like that, and if the car will not be too inconvenient for you in certain situations. And don't forget, the rear seats are useless for humans except very small ones, and even that doesn't work all that well if you are fairly tall and have your driver seat adjusted toward the back. Back seats are good for packages, briefcase (and two sets of golf clubs WILL fit!)

In my avatar pic, you'll see my winter setup...slightly narrower 18's with spacers and Pirelli Winter Performance. Don't try to run summer tires through the winter: harsh ride and paralyzing if it snows or you get that Omaha freezing rain.

Anyway, C4S works for me on a daily basis, and I think it's the best way to get to know, love and enjoy your car. Good luck!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts

Awesome DD. The four wheel drive is great. We get such little snow I usually don't swap out the summer tires for winters BUT having said that I am finding the ride harsh these days. May consider... You'll love the C4S after a BMW. Both great cars, just different.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Agree with the replies this far. My 4S is an excellent daily driver year-round. Extra set of wheels with winter tires is the way to go.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:43 PM
mrm 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys - kind of what I was thinking. The M5 is useless in the snow - especially since I leave the sport tires on. Once in a heavy snow last year, because I left work about an hour after I should have, I was using every different set-up that car will let you do. Manual shift with stiff suspension, soft suspension, traction on/off, change up on the diff, power changes, etc.

I even had to go up one of the hills to my house - made it home. Then collapsed from the stress of the drive. Rear end breaking loose on every auto-shift, back to manual and set it in soft shift mode, 510 HP setting, diff and shocks at stiff. Well it worked - but never again!

Just thinking of a little change up with out increasing my payment, until I can order the GTS or Turbo.

I appreciate the responses.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:05 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I got a C4S for daily... and that's my only car. However, I do NOT drive to work (walking/transit distance), and I don't have kids, so it might be a different proposition if I did.

- What's your commute like? Long drives to work or no?
- 997 will have a louder cabin (more fun), but could get tiring in long trips, specially in traffic
- Manual might be hard in traffic
- C4S would do *ok* in snow, IF you put winters on, if you kept the summers it will be just as bad as your M5

So, overall, C4S is a great daily drive, if don't have a stressful of a commute to beging with, and if you have a second car for other duties (family, hauling, etc), if not, may not be as ideal.

Good luck!
Old 11-27-2012, 07:40 PM
mander
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a 09C4S as daily driver in Lincoln, NE. With snow tires I have only had to leave it home twice since new - clearance issues. Remember that horrible ice storm in Omaha two years back? I drove home from Omaha without a problem. That said I live on a well-plowed street not to far out and work downtown. My 01 S4 was a better daily driver but the C4S is no slouch and both are much better than my 91 318is was.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:47 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I drive mine all year and alternate with my M5. The M5 has two bags of sand in the winter and it does ok. Both cars have Michelin PS year round. We don't get much winter here, except for a couple of snow days and an ice storm occasionally.

My 2006 is out of warranty, and out of CPO. So far it does not bother me. If it is important to you, you should double check. The car you are buying is likely to have only an aftermarket warranty. Some of those are like umbrellas that dissolve in the rain!

Mine is similarly equipped, painted seat backs, GT3 Aerokit, plus the X51 power kit. Chicks dig it. Teenage boys, too.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:17 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with the other posts....a great DD!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:14 AM
jwins
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, my 2007 C4 is a great year-round daily driver in the NE. I put a new set of Michelin Alpins on yesterday, just in time for our second light snow fall. I've driven the car during some pretty horrendous snow storms and never had a problem. Crossing the ruts between lanes in heavy snow can be a little unnerving but I seem to do better than most folks with cars that would seem to be better suited for the conditions. I love the looks I get when I pull into a gas station with the car covered in dirt and road salt. The car never looks better than when it's being used.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:34 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

why not? my DD for the past 5 years have been 911s

prior to that I was stuck in Australia (4 yrs) with a crappy work car....
Old 11-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Porsche 911's make the best daily drivers, nothing comes close.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:06 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

To all. You can not drive with your performance tires below 45F. You will loose all grip as the rubber harden to much. Unfortunately for those cold days, either park your car or switch to proper winter tire. Glad I live in Houston, top down driving all year :-).
Old 11-30-2012, 02:50 AM
GTRR
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

why not? I would drive any Porsche everyday....only most days I'm on an airplane! I just got a GT3 and drive it every chance I get....even in traffic!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:56 AM
cwhalen
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the truth

Hi, I bought a 06 C4S this past summer. I have a 02 Boxster S (TPC Turbo) and have always parked it during the winter. I should mention that I live I'd Edmo ton Alberta. Winters here are cold, snowy, and hard.... Is the C4S a great car for winter? The answer is no. Would I recommend the C4S as a daily driver even for winter? Absolutely!!! Get one!!!!

Quick Reply: 06 C4S as a daily?