Sponsored by:

IPD intake plenum

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012 | 08:57 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kdurg
I noticed a significant difference in the driveability of my 05S after I installed the plenum. Previously, the car had a mid range flat spot under hard acceleration. She pulls strong all the way through the rev band now and that apparent hiccup has been smoothed out.

There is no way this has resulted in a 25hp gain but the car definitely pulls better.
I bought one used for my '08 C2S, and my impression exactly matches kdurg's.

-Chris
Old 11-28-2012 | 09:04 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sharkster
If you're going that route I'd recommend using the competition version as you can mate up the larger diameter throttle body.
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=134
well, an idea behind all those mods is to increase amount of air your motor is pumping through. if you want to see any hp gains you need to reduce restriction on the exhaust side - means installing x51 headers, 200 or 100 cell cats or straight pipes on a race car and at same time you increase throttle body diameter (gt3 throttle), can do plenum as well and on top of it all you put custom ECU tune - softronic or similar, so engine can actually utilize this available air.
Old 11-28-2012 | 11:36 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Originally Posted by utkinpol
well, an idea behind all those mods is to increase amount of air your motor is pumping through. if you want to see any hp gains you need to reduce restriction on the exhaust side - means installing x51 headers, 200 or 100 cell cats or straight pipes on a race car and at same time you increase throttle body diameter (gt3 throttle), can do plenum as well and on top of it all you put custom ECU tune - softronic or similar, so engine can actually utilize this available air.
What kind of effect did it have on your car utkinpol?
Old 07-20-2013 | 09:36 AM
82_930
Pro

Sorry to bring op an old thread here... I plan on adding a PSE to to '06 Carrera 4 which is equipped with the sport chrono package (and software).

1) Will I need a a different tune even though that I have the sport sortware already?
2) Will adding the IDP plenum alone give me anymore power that I will notice? or will I have to add other parts as well as the exhaust?
3) Is it worth it?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 07-20-2013 | 10:41 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 82_930
Sorry to bring op an old thread here... I plan on adding a PSE to to '06 Carrera 4 which is equipped with the sport chrono package (and software).

1) Will I need a a different tune even though that I have the sport sortware already?
2) Will adding the IDP plenum alone give me anymore power that I will notice? or will I have to add other parts as well as the exhaust?
3) Is it worth it?

Thanks,

Mark
Replacing your stock mufflers with the PSE mufflers will not necessitate a software change. The PSE mufflers have a valve, which you control, that by-passes the internals of the mufflers (much like the inexpensive Gundo hack) to produce a loader and richer exhaust sound. You won't get any performance improvement because you'll still have restrictive headers and restrictive cats.

Adding an IPD plenum might or might not provide a noticeable performance improvement. Installing the IPD Comp plenum, 84mm/GT3 throttle body, replacing your stock cats with 200-cell cats, and getting new software will provide a noticeable performance improvement. But that's an expensive lot and probably not worth it unless you've $4k burning a hole in your pocket.

Old 07-20-2013 | 06:28 PM
7500rpm
Instructor

I will second alpine al. My experience was no improvements in track time swapping out to the IPD plenum (comp version) and TB alone. Replacing with sports cats and ECU tune will give you slight improvement. Overall, as has been said many times by others, not worth spending money trying to squeeze more ponies out of this NA engine. However, if part of your joy include doing work on your car and customization, please go ahead but don't expect big gains. Want real power gains go Turbo/GT2. Want real handling gains go GT3.

Quick Reply: IPD intake plenum