Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Oil Changes: Issue on warranty claim??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 02:27 PM
PTParks
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY Oil Changes: Issue on warranty claim??

For those of you that perform the periodic oil changes yourselves...have you ever had a dealer's service manager or a regional Porsche service representative call in to question your self service whenever there was a warranty issue involved? I would hate to lose out on a warranty claim due to some arcane technicial issue involving owner maintenance.

Just wondering. I hate having to pay the dealer's going rate for a simple oil change that I am capable of doing for quite a bit less using the same oil, filter, washer, etc.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

No, I've never had a problem in almost 30 years of owning Porsches. It's perfectly acceptable to do your own servicing as long as you use Porsche approved parts, follow the maintenance schedule, keep a record of when and what work was done, and all receipts. This is all made pretty clear in the Warranty booklet that comes with the car.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:46 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by PTParks
For those of you that perform the periodic oil changes yourselves...have you ever had a dealer's service manager or a regional Porsche service representative call in to question your self service whenever there was a warranty issue involved? I would hate to lose out on a warranty claim due to some arcane technicial issue involving owner maintenance.

Just wondering. I hate having to pay the dealer's going rate for a simple oil change that I am capable of doing for quite a bit less using the same oil, filter, washer, etc.
Other than the obvious (stripping the threads on the drain plug, only using 4 quarts, etc), I've never heard of a warranty issue. Just keep records - date, mileage, receipts, etc.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:58 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as it is not modification that may impact another part or normal operation of the car, it will not void warranty. Oil change is routine maintenance so should not be an issue.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:18 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use Porsche-approved lubricants and OEM filters, keep your receipts, and have Blackstone eval your oil when you change it. Present if asked, no arguments. You have the choice on where to take your car for oil changes, even your own garage.

Quick Reply: DIY Oil Changes: Issue on warranty claim??