Sponsored by:

my first 991 CS drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 01:05 PM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default my first 991 CS drive

Thought I would just add to the info. The car had PDCC, sports chrono, and a manual. As PDCC is the one of the primary reasons for the incredible track numbers I wanted to try it. Also, PDCC has been the basis of much of the discussion (pros & cons)

Bottom line - incredible turn in and balance. I absolutely understand why this is a better track car. But....there was certainly a feeling of divorce from the suspension. It was almost as if I was sitting in the chasis, directing the car and the suspension took it where I asked it to go. Very strange. After getting out and waiting for my 997S.1 to finish up its oil service, I had no desire to drive away in the 991. I wanted to get back into my 997S. My next drive will be without the PDCC but with sport chrono.

Summary:
Pros
- excellent manual shifter. I was surprised. Better than my 997S.
- really nice cruising car (quiet/limited tire noise)
- great interior
- great sound (had sports exhaust but I heard mostly the engine)
- TURN IN is incredible
- Sports plus suspension was still supple, certainly more supple than my 997S.1 on sports mode
- heel toe - easy- pretty much the same as the 997S

Cons
- Felt divorced from suspension. Think this is a PDCC thing. However, when pushing on the mountain roads it felt more connected than it did on the highway or driving around town. I couldn't push too hard on the mountain roads as they were wet.
- price was $102K for at 2012. Not as bad as I would have thought given it was loaded (PDCC tbd) as I would have it but still steep.
- steering was OK but not as much feel as the 997S
Old 11-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you look back at the 996 to 997 upgrade I think you will find that the 997 got a decent upgrade in horse power and torque with very nice refinement in suspension and esthetic's both on the inside and out. The 997 to 991 upgrade seems to be more refinement than power. The 991 is beautiful (badging not so much) and I guess it will have to grow on me but I think it's missing the brute rawness that we've come to enjoy out of a 911. I think folks will miss the bump steer (go-cart feel), the loud intake and exhaust note, shorter wheelbase and that rear engine under-steer feeling that is so unique in a 911.

Granted the 991 gets around the track faster but perhaps I would appreciated the 991 more if it came with 10-15% more horse power; like it did in past model years?

Quick Reply: my first 991 CS drive