Sponsored by:

Buying a car out-of-california, questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 11:54 AM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying a car out-of-california, questions

I'm considering buying a new car (MB GL350) out of state and transporting via closed transport to San Diego, CA. How are the sales tax handled? Do i pay the sales tax at the dealership and show evidence at dmv? Are all MB 50 state emissions? Any reputable closed transport you have used and recommend?
Many thanks
Old 11-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

This may/may not help...

I bought my car from CA (used). To avoid the CA sales tax issue, I used an auto broker here in CO. They essentially "bought" the vehicle from the seller (dealer) and sold it to me.
The broker gave me temp tags, I paid CO sales tax, no emissions issues - flew to LA, walked into the dealer, picked up the car (no paperwork or hassles at the dealer) and drove back to CO.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:10 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe if you have proof that your residence is outside the state you're buying the car in the dealer or broker will not tack on that state's sales tax. Since you're in the wonderful state of California you'll pay a 'Use Tax' (BTW: it's the same percentage as CA's sales tax) when you register the car. Best to do it before year end since the idiot voters of California voted in a state sales tax increase for next year.

I believe all cars sold in the US are now 50 state approved.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by chago996
I'm considering buying a new car (MB GL350) out of state and transporting via closed transport to San Diego, CA. How are the sales tax handled? Do i pay the sales tax at the dealership and show evidence at dmv? Are all MB 50 state emissions? Any reputable closed transport you have used and recommend?
Many thanks
I did this years ago, so things may have changed since then, but: If it's more than a year old and has at least 7500 miles (you can check this on the DMV site) then you can bring it in. It has to go to DMV for smog inspection. You'll pay CA "use" tax less what you paid to the other state in sales tax, if any.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:14 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sold my AMG to a guy in AZ last year, he did not have to pay for Smog check nor Sales tax (no sales tax on used cars in AZ). I think you just pay sales tax in your own State when you register the car there.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:26 PM
wallyworld925
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Bringing a car into the state of CA - https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

- DMV or certified inspector will have to verify VIN number.
- May need a smog test.
- I had an issue with the following:
Last issued registration certificate or renewal notice for the current year or a letter from the last registration jurisdiction verifying the registration period. (Car was from Texas and had a registration sticker (not certificate) that was removed by the prior owner and destroyed. Had to wait 10 days to get notarized doc from TX DMV.)
- Fees and use tax are the worst part - need to fund all that dead weight at the DMV.

Quick Reply: Buying a car out-of-california, questions