Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is "acceptable" differential noise with a Tiptronic?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 11:43 AM
mr.precision
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is "acceptable" differential noise with a Tiptronic?

I noticed, shortly after purchasing my 2007 CS, that there was an audible whine at around 75-80 MPH. The whine is related to putting a load on the drivetrain..... either under light acceleration or deceleration. It's not REAL loud, but it is there. It does not occur until everything is hot.....that is why I did not notice it during the test drive.

I took at back to the Porsche dealer and left it with their service manager for 2 days. He drove the car and heard what I was referring to..... and said this was normal. Just as I expected.

The car has 60K miles and has been serviced by the book. To me it sounds like a pinion gear or bearing. So what should be the first step? Change the diff fluid? Buy a Tubi?
Do these transaxles make a little noise? This is my first Porsche. I don't recall any whine in other 997's I drove, but again it takes about 15 minutes of driving before the noise appears.
Thanks.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:46 PM
ChristopherG
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fresh oil in the diff wouldn't hurt. Motul makes some excellent products, I would also check the condition of the mounts. Probably nothing though if the mechanic says it's ok.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:08 PM
403portside
Pro

Received 225 Likes on 96 Posts

I feel like I hear something similar on my car. Mine is a manual though.

Quick Reply: What is "acceptable" differential noise with a Tiptronic?