Sponsored by:

targa rattle fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 12:17 AM
MFank
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default targa rattle fixed!

My targa has been mostly squeak free since I keep the seals & contact points clean and use gummi phlege on the rubber bits and so I rarely get noise except on really rough roads. A few months back I started to get a metallic rattle that progressively got worse when the roof is closed. I figured it was the pop up air deflector so I spent some time last week trying to figure out what was going on.

When the roof is closed, the deflector is tucked up and under the front of the roof. My guess is that with age, it doesn't sit in there as tight and then there is metal to metal contact. My solution was to use some sticky-back velcro (the soft side) and ran it along the inside of the roof where the deflector would contact the roof when closed. It works like a champ! Hope this helps the targa folks out there.

The following users liked this post:
phizzak (10-25-2023)
Old 11-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Great tip. Photo?
Old 03-26-2014, 08:17 PM
65kodey
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Super Great Tip...thanks MFank worked like charm.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:44 PM
Volnomad
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting. When the weather is cold, I get an annoying tapping sound that seems to come from the rear hatch latch area. Not sure if this is the same problem you guys have experienced and I am just not properly locating the source. What did your "creak" sound like?
Old 03-28-2014, 02:08 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Great timing to see this post, as I just picked up a squeaky Targa 4 today! Is this 3M velcro, or any particular brand? Thanks for posting this by the way
Old 03-28-2014, 05:21 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

With age, the springs that hold things in place loose some of their torsion forces, ie get weaker. So the mass they are holding up has a chance to move more under vibration (ie our normally bad roads). .. and thus those moving parts impact things they should not by the design of the car.

One can either put in new springs, or put some padding between the parts that are colliding. Nice solution.

The other issue with Targa noises is temperature related. Cold rubber seals are not flexible and shrink in size every so slightly. So things are not sealed as tightly and can move laterally a bit more, or rub rather than distort. That leads to some squeaking. Lubing up the rubbing surfaces so they slide past each other rather than rub, does solve that.

The rattles and squeaks I've experienced in my MY2009 997.2 Targa 4 have been exacerbated by the poor road surfaces, or cold weather related. A cold weather rattle in the central channel was tracked down to a slightly mis-sized switch assembly or hole, for the roof switches. The front roof mating surfaces will squeak when its cold and the road rough. Its not been enough to make me fix it (since the road and tire noise is far louder than the squeak).
Old 03-28-2014, 07:04 PM
Vape NYC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was told there is an adjustable height bumper for the roof and hatch. ANyone know about that?

Z3- lets see some pictures and details - congrats on the Targa

Last edited by Vape NYC; 03-29-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:19 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vape NYC
I was told there is an adjustable height bumper for the roof and hatch. ANyone know about that?

Z3- lets see some pictures and details - congrats on the Targa
Thank you! I'm still pinching myself. Its a 1 owner with 81k! miles, but in terrific shape. Car runs like a champ, however I've noticed that there is a clutch squeak also which I will have to address.

Going to try and source some sticky velcro this weekend!

Last edited by z3mcoupe; 04-20-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:56 PM
Vape NYC
Instructor

Z3 - that looks sweet. My Targa 4s is black also, but with black interior. I like your turbo wheels.

MFrank - I bought the Gummi Phlege but after feeling the gasketing around the roof and doors, they don't feel like rubber to me at all but more like a polymer. I almost feel like the the Aerospace 303 I use on my Roland Vdrums might be a better idea. It really helps the black rubberized parts which get hit with sticks and discolor easily to clean up and look black again.

Can you tell me exactly which parts of the roof you hit with the Gummi? thanks.

Last edited by Vape NYC; 03-29-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:00 PM
r_32
Instructor

I like those wheels as well. Just picked up a lapis blue t4s and thinking about changing to turbos.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:06 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, its actually a dark blue but looks like black under certain light. The seller had the stock 18" wheels, but put the turbo's on.

When I spoke to him over the phone and he mentioned this, I thought it wouldn't 'work' until I saw it. I love these wheels on the car!

I'm amazed at how composed the car , considering its performance. The ride is supple and comfortable, yet has almost no body roll. Its really an amazing piece of engineering. I love it!

I have a 2001 M Coupe which is the other toy, and its a hairy beast. I couldn't bring myself to let go of it (hence my username).

I've ordered the obligatory white side marker lenses already, a key chain so I won't lose my main key & a 997 technical manual all from sun coast parts.

It was a very wet day in the Bay Area today , so I was really looking forward to the 100 mile round trip drive today to see how the awd system copes in the wet. The car is very sure-footed.

Let the obsession continue!
Old 11-29-2016, 04:59 PM
Jas hunter
Track Day

Default 996 targa Fixed too!

Yet to see a few miles or different temperatures but hats off MFank!!
I used a roll of the 'Loop Only' Velcro and slit the 25mm width in half and ran a 12mm strip ALL around the lower half of the smooth weather strip on my 996 as per MFank's pic. Not sure its 100% gone but seems in my initial runs to be DRAMATICALLY reduced, roof seems to fit snugly, correctly and close without effort!

fingers crossed
jason

Old 11-30-2016, 06:44 AM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jas hunter
Yet to see a few miles or different temperatures but hats off MFank!!
I used a roll of the 'Loop Only' Velcro and slit the 25mm width in half and ran a 12mm strip ALL around the lower half of the smooth weather strip on my 996 as per MFank's pic. Not sure its 100% gone but seems in my initial runs to be DRAMATICALLY reduced, roof seems to fit snugly, correctly and close without effort!

fingers crossed
jason
Could you perhaps post a photo or two? You described putting the velcro on the weather strip, whereas MFrank put it on the "inside of the roof", and in any case, 996 and 997 Targa roofs, while similar, are not identical.

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2016, 06:55 AM
Jas hunter
Track Day

I've found much in common between 996 / 7. All the pics I've seen in 997 threads are the same on my car. Whatever you call the strip pictured that's the same place, inside the rooof on the slightly shiny strip. Will take pics soon though !
Old 11-30-2016, 07:15 AM
r_32
Instructor

Going to have to try this as the rattle is always worse in colder weather.

Quick Reply: targa rattle fixed!