Sponsored by:

Battery removal help...........

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 12:03 PM
MFank
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Battery removal help...........

OK, the flame suit is on in case this is really stupid....... how do I remove the battery?

With the colder temps, my battery is getting weak so I went to remove it this morning and get a replacement. The brass clip & bolt were already undone - it appears the prior owner didn't replace it properly but at least they were still there!

Other than remove the + & - terminal cables with a 10mm and then remove the brass clip is there anything else? The battery will slide to the left but will not lift out since 3 of the battery sides are under a lip of the battery tray. Do I need to remove the whole battery tray?

Maybe it was too early and my brain is still frozen but I am obciously missing something easy here. TIA!
Old 11-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

you do not need to remove the battery tray. If memory serves, sliding it to the left should give you sufficient clearance. I only remember the one clip. You definitely do not have to remove the tray. I know this advice sucks, but you will figure it out.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:37 PM
MFank
Rennlist Member

It does help. I'll try again when I get to the battery place. At least the sun will be out so I can see better & it will be warmer.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:23 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MFank
OK, the flame suit is on in case this is really stupid....... how do I remove the battery?

With the colder temps, my battery is getting weak so I went to remove it this morning and get a replacement. The brass clip & bolt were already undone - it appears the prior owner didn't replace it properly but at least they were still there!

Other than remove the + & - terminal cables with a 10mm and then remove the brass clip is there anything else? The battery will slide to the left but will not lift out since 3 of the battery sides are under a lip of the battery tray. Do I need to remove the whole battery tray?

Maybe it was too early and my brain is still frozen but I am obciously missing something easy here. TIA!
A new battery may not help..winter is winter..cold is cold....COLD engine = tighter metal to metal clearances.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:35 PM
MFank
Rennlist Member

Picked up a new battery today & figured out the problem. The battery in the car was not the right size! It was about 3-4" longer than standard so that is why it wasn't bolted down and was a PITA to remove. It took 2 of us to pry it out. Dropped in an Interstate MTP 94R H7 and all is well.

We did test the old one and it was on its way out so I'm glad I got it done!

Quick Reply: Battery removal help...........