Sponsored by:

Slow Oil Temp Heat Up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 11:40 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vjgtrybno1
Now that we wrestled that one to the ground, consider the water temp. guage. Heads to 175 and then stays right there. Some say it is not accurate, others feel that the car is so marvelously engineered to maintain the constant temp.
I admit that the water temp looks suspect. However I have designed many temperature control systems that can easily control the temp just as the gauge shows. It would involve using 3mode control and probably require the computer to control the thermostat.
Does it really work this way? I don't know? Is the temp true or flake?
Old 11-21-2012, 11:43 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by okbarnett
My dealer told me that the oil temp reading has many factors before showing the actual reading. The sensor sends the reading to the computer, and it compares and shows on the guage by time . It determines the initial temp at start up. Then shows on the guage when it is in the low 100 degree range. Thats as much of it as I remember. I know I dont try to depend on it untill it is over the 190 - 200 range.
It is a convoluted path to display oil temp.

The sensor is a thermister which generates a voltage level based on temp. In pre-997 models this resides in the tip of the oil temp/level sensor tube which mounts on top of the engine and extends down into the oil sump or is in the oil tank in case of the Turbo engine.

This voltage level is fed to the DME which converts this from an analog value to a digital value.

This digital value is sent to the instrutment cluster controller which converts it back to an analog signal which is used to move an oil gage temp needle around.

Unless of course the oil temp is digital in which case the digital value is used to light up the appropriate number segments in the display to create the numbers that represent the oil temperature.

These engines are quite cold blooded and take time to reach full operating temperature. 10 or even 15 minutes of moderate driving on a mild day is often not long enough if one is really able to see the coolant temp. Also, even though the coolant temp is up to temp so to speak the oil temp lags behind some.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:54 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In 1963 I bought a new Corvette. Since I was developing temp controls at the time I put a thermocouple in the oil drain plug and ran it to a meter in the car. The oil temp rise vs water temp rise looked very similar to what I see in my 997.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:27 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by mr.precision
Maybe in the Porsche world.
My Ferrari 365 GTC/4 holds 19 quarts of oil. Sometimes it takes a good 20 minutes to get the oil temp needle to move. Once eveything is hot, the oil temp pretty much mirrors the water temp. Since the motor has no coolant thermostat, on cold days that means neither of the fluids will go over 180 degrees.
Makes DIY oil changes real fun..... you will only make the misatke of using a standard drain pan once.
Sure, but with 19 quarts, you only have to change the oil every 27 years.

Quick Reply: Slow Oil Temp Heat Up?