Sponsored by:

Engine Break In from Someone Who Knows

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Since the break in period for identical cars sold in Europe is much shorter than those sold here, I suspect the longer break in for us is all about the driver and not the mechanicals
Old 11-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Graygoose997
Do you plan to follow what the manufacturer suggests to the US drivers, or what they suggest to German drivers ?
When I picked up my tourist delivery Carrera at the factory I asked about break-in. The Porsche rep who introduced me to my car said the most important thing to do was to vary rpms and not to cruise for extended time at one speed. Other than that, drive the car normally, which in Germany meant getting up to Autobahn speeds when desired. He said German drivers don't baby their cars the way many in America do.

I understood that there was some disconnect between what he told me, and what's in the US manual, not just from Porsche, but from the manufacturer of every car I've ever owned (with small variations) about break-in. Despite what I took to be his opinion, I couldn't just let go of 40+ years of experience around how to treat a new car. So for the first 500 miles I kept strictly to the 4200 rpm limit, bedding in brakes and tires as well as the engine. For the next 500 I stayed mostly under 4200 with occasional runs above 5000 and from 1000-2000 miles I drove the car more or less normally, with an emphasis on driving easier than usual, accelerating hard only when when necessary. After that, all bets were off, and in fact I ran my first autox with the car shortly after I got back to the US.

The point of this long winded reply to your question is that we each have different comfort levels about how we use our cars (and other things). Having never seen hard scientific data on this subject, I took what my experience has always been about new car break-in, added in what the Porsche rep told me, took into account my desire to have a good time with my new car in Europe, and came up with what seemed like a reasonable compromise, erring when possible on the conservative side.

Maybe it's not necessary to baby a car for 2000 miles although I understand why people want to follow what's in their owners manual. I also understand why people want to peg the tach right off the showroom floor, but it's not something I would ever be comfortable doing. Just my opinion.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Since the break in period for identical cars sold in Europe is much shorter than those sold here, I suspect the longer break in for us is all about the driver and not the mechanicals
The warrantees in Europe for identical cars are also generally much shorter and less comprehensive. In general, they also take better care of their cars than Americans do. There is no comparison between the conditon of a rental car in Germany compared to one in the US.

I follow the break-in recommedations indicated in any owner's manual. It has always served me well.

Any recommendation from the manufacturer is more qualified, reliable and credible than anything you might get on the internet.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:35 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
The warrantees in Europe for identical cars are also generally much shorter and less comprehensive. In general, they also take better care of their cars than Americans do. There is no comparison between the conditon of a rental car in Germany compared to one in the US.

I follow the break-in recommedations indicated in any owner's manual. It has always served me well.

Any recommendation from the manufacturer is more qualified, reliable and credible than anything you might get on the internet.
Well good to see that the Porscbe kool aid is still being drunk with regularity

People still change their oil every 3000 miles vs what the manual recommends.....
Old 11-18-2012, 09:40 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Well good to see that the Porscbe kool aid is still being drunk with regularity

People still change their oil every 3000 miles vs what the manual recommends.....
I will stick to the advice of a professional over advice from the internet.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:15 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
oh please.

Attorneys for porsche write the break in instructions. You think the engineers are sitting there thinking..."well, 1999 miles is just not enough to make sure the components are seated, lets make it 2000...how about 2001?....nein, dis is too much". No, they are out there and giving the cars full load and revs.

I've broken in a number of engines on the dyno. Few pulls to 50% of max revs, let the engine compression brake...few to 75%, compression brake, few to max revs, engine brake. change oil, check for leaks, and congrats, your engine was broken in. all delivered strong power for the combination (and we are talking 850 bhp) and had minimal oil consumption.

go ahead and baby your junk if you want to, but I certainly won't be.
+1 yep....none of us track guys that I hang with totally babied our engines and none of us have any issues.
With my GTS I did a lot of full throttle to redline and engine brake compress and back up again for 500 miles....I was at the track at 500 miles.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:43 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
I bought my car off of the showroom floor. When I took it out for a test drive it had about 150 miles on it.
The salesman came with on this drive. I red lined it on every shift I could and really drove it as hard as I could. The salesman never said you know this car is not broken in yet you might hurt it. By the time I bought it about a week later it had another 50 miles on it. I never paid any attention to the break in procedure. It now has 6000 miles on it. Uses no oil. I have changed oil twice once at 2000 miles and at 6000 miles. I always send my oil in for analysis. Results of analysis are perfect. YMMV
Amen.

I can't imagine anyone test driving a P-car and not driving it hard (non-Cayenne). I haven't heard any salesmen warning about the "break-in" period, either.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts

Funny thing about perspective. Read something from me on the web and you're getting advice off of the Internet. Need for skepticism. Most probably.

From my perspective, the information I posted I received from a colleague in the business of remanufacturing and testing engines that I've have known for over 20 years, who has been in the business for nearly 30 years. Am I skeptical? Not in the least.

The purpose of my post was to give everyone something to think about and consider. I really don't care how any of you break in your engines. But I just can't get off the fact that in 1993 the good folks at Porsche AG in Zuffenhausen suggested 500 mile protocol, and in 20 years later are advising a 2000 mile protocol. From an engineer's perspective it just didn't add up.

Here's a little factoid thank might have you scratching you head. The oil change interval in large mining trucks had always been 500 hours of operation. This cost quite a bit in downtime (lost production) and created a problem regarding the environmentally safe disposal for all that dirty oil. A device was introduced that would meter filtered engine oil in the fuel return line to the fuel tank. This oil slightly diluted the fuel and was burned in the engine. Oil sample readings would reach an equilibrium as new oil was added each day in the topping off procedure. By running this cleaner, fresher oil, the change interval was extended to 4000 hours and the number of oil changes was reduced from 8 to 1. The filters were still changed every 500 hours.

So the next time you're worried about your "high" oil consumption, you may actually de doing the environment a favor.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:54 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And there you have it, all you ever wanted to know about all the best ways to break in your engine which I suspect for most readers confirmed their own opinions on the subect.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:56 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
The purpose of my post was to give everyone something to think about and consider. I really don't care how any of you break in your engines. But I just can't get off the fact that in 1993 the good folks at Porsche AG in Zuffenhausen suggested 500 mile protocol, and in 20 years later are advising a 2000 mile protocol. From an engineer's perspective it just didn't add up.
The give and take in this thread has been civil and interesting, with no one (yet) deriding anyone elses ancestry over their position. I've enjoyed the comments on both sides of the discussion.

Just a thought on the difference between the previous and current break-in instructions. Might it have something to do with the fact that in 1993 Porsche was offering hand built air cooled engines, while today they are water cooled coming off a mostly automated assembly line? Is it possible Porsche knows something about their own build procedures? I don't know how reasonable that argument is but there are, at least, significant differences between the 1993 and 2012 models.

To pose your question with a different slant, why did Porsche decide that it now takes 2000 miles to break in the driver when it used to take only 500, especially with a car that most would say is "easier" to drive and less idiosyncratic than it used to be? The "break in the driver" theory seems pretty cynical and doesn't really add up either, for me.

Again, absent hard data, I think it may come down to philosophy and individual comfort level. It sounds as though some here wouldn't mind buying a car that has been hammered to red line right out of the box. Personally, I would mind very much. I can't prove that I'm right to feel that way, but it's what I'm comfortable with.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 11-22-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: sp
Old 11-19-2012, 07:29 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Not sure this is a major issue guys.

With a new car, the first 1K miles go by very quickly, new car, eager & anxious driver, 1K miles go by in a couple of weeks or less. No harm in taking it easy for a few days since you will never get those first 1K miles back, so I would err on the side of patience and look forward to red lining it after that point.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

I worked as lead test driver for Porsche's press fleet SoCA region. I would pickup new cars at local dealer & prep for loans to auto journalists. "Semi official" break-in directive from PCNA's press fleet dept was to follow guidelines in owner's manual & try to put 1,000 miles on it before 1st magazine loan.
This led to some tough weekends but somebody had to do it.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:50 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Byprovider,

I am most curious about your job with Porsche for Press fleet. Can you share with us more details please?
Old 11-22-2012, 03:08 AM
Gerg
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

There is some good information here, and good arguments supporting the various points of view. That said, I can, and will post here, for all the world to see, and will stand atop a table in any bar from here to Deutschland and proclaim loudly that a car salesman will never tell a prospect to slow down fer God's sake during a test drive in order to adhere to a car's break-in procedures. In addition, if you purchase such a car, it is called a "demonstrator", and everyone knows, or should, that it is ragged on by tire kickers, the dealership owner's son on prom night, and the sales manager out for hookers and blow. Please do not base your break-in procedure philosophy on the fact your car salesman allows you to on a test drive. Really????
Old 11-22-2012, 06:29 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
Funny thing about perspective. Read something from me on the web and you're getting advice off of the Internet. Need for skepticism. Most probably.

From my perspective, the information I posted I received from a colleague in the business of remanufacturing and testing engines that I've have known for over 20 years, who has been in the business for nearly 30 years. Am I skeptical? Not in the least.

Here's a little factoid thank might have you scratching you head. The oil change interval in large mining trucks had always been 500 hours of operation. This cost quite a bit in downtime (lost production) and created a problem regarding the environmentally safe disposal for all that dirty oil. A device was introduced that would meter filtered engine oil in the fuel return line to the fuel tank. This oil slightly diluted the fuel and was burned in the engine. Oil sample readings would reach an equilibrium as new oil was added each day in the topping off procedure. By running this cleaner, fresher oil, the change interval was extended to 4000 hours and the number of oil changes was reduced from 8 to 1. The filters were still changed every 500 hours.

So the next time you're worried about your "high" oil consumption, you may actually de doing the environment a favor.
Good idea for diesel engines, maybe not for spark ignition...

Quick Reply: Engine Break In from Someone Who Knows