Sponsored by:

Crazy clatter, poor running on cold start

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 07:45 PM
Dennis W
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy clatter, poor running on cold start

I have a 2007 997S that I've had for about a year and half with about 55k miles. I bought it with 35k so I love driving it! I was trying to move it in the garage last night to put on my snow tires and rims. When I started it I heard a horrible metallic sounding clatter from the motor and it would barely run. I shut it down right away. Sat for a few seconds and tried again with the same results. Checking the engine compartment I didn't see anything out of order, but did see some odd smoke.

I had no idea what was up. I've maintained it well. 5k oil changes, serpentine belts and new spark plugs last summer. New tires. Had a sport alignment based on info from this forum. I usually do the oil changes and filters, an indy did the belt and plugs.

Fearing the worst (IMS?!) I had it towed to the dealer this morning. The dealer was great, looked at it right away and found that it was running on two cylinders only. Two ignition coils were cracked. I was surprised because on inspection last summer during the plug change the indy said the coils were ok and I didn't need to change them. The dealer replaced all six coils and plugs. The car runs great again. In fact, it seems smoother. Doesn't have that very minor, subtle hesitation when blipping the throttle at rest. It went away after the plug change last summer and seemed to return. I guess that was the coil(s) going bad. I also seem to recall hearing a sharp "crack" a few weeks ago on start up. Maybe that was a coil going (or maybe my imagination?).

So, even though coils are a visual inspection item during a plug change the next time I'm just going to swap them out regardless.

I love the forum and thought some would want to see the end result of a recent running issue.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:15 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Glad it was nothing serious. My coils went south around 55,000 miles too. It does seem like they are a wear item and should be routinely replaced when the plugs are replaced.

Since you just recently replaced your plugs, I would say your dealer kinda screwed you by replacing your new plugs. Your plugs are good for at least 60K miles. I don't know what they charged you, but my dealer quoted me $235 for parts only. Ripoff. I bought them for $50 from a parts supplier.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
Glad it was nothing serious. My coils went south around 55,000 miles too. It does seem like they are a wear item and should be routinely replaced when the plugs are replaced.

Since you just recently replaced your plugs, I would say your dealer kinda screwed you by replacing your new plugs. Your plugs are good for at least 60K miles. I don't know what they charged you, but my dealer quoted me $235 for parts only. Ripoff. I bought them for $50 from a parts supplier.
Indy could have used the wrong plugs.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Dennis W
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer said the plugs were soaked from the mis-fires. Could they have been reused? Possibly/probably, but they wanted to replace them all so it's hard to argue with that. And it is certainly possible my indy used the wrong plugs. Maybe that even led to the coil failure. Could be. I'm usually comfortable with the indy doing the easy, maintenance stuff. Pulling codes and doing specialized work is dealer territory in my mind. Expensive of course, but also as others have noted it's good to have a relationship with the dealer.

Quick Reply: Crazy clatter, poor running on cold start