Sponsored by:

gas pump tricks

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 03:48 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default gas pump tricks

Well, it was a while since I had it that bad.
Just stopped to fuel up, gas was not very low, a bit on top of where red mark starts, almost a qt tank left. So I pour in 10gal and stop at $40, drive off and look at gas gauge I see needle is exactle between 4/4 and 2/4 marks. So I guess I got may be 6 or 7 gallons while paid for 10. Nice.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Just stopped to fuel up, gas was not very low, a bit on top of where red mark starts, almost a qt tank left. So I pour in 10gal and stop at $40, drive off and look at gas gauge I see needle is exactle between 4/4 and 2/4 marks. So I guess I got may be 6 or 7 gallons while paid for 10. Nice.
Maybe I can illuminate. Half way between 4/4 and 2/4 would be 3/4. In my car (GTS) the the red mark is approximately 2 gallons remaining and you were slightly above that (the red mark is 1/8 of a tank). Assume a 16.5 gallon tank. You have ~2 gallons and put in 10 gallons = ~12 gallons which is approximately 3/4 of 16.5. Gas pumps are pretty regulated, sealed and tested and there is a hefty fine if a station is caught tampering with them.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

not only the above, but you act like the gauge is perfect, which its far from.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:55 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

You should come to Ny or New Jersey,there's no gas to pump,unless you want to wait for hours
Old 11-05-2012, 07:17 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Check your owner's manual - there's a sentence or two about not completely filling the tank and getting bogus gauge readings.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Petroguy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gas pumps are pretty regulated, sealed and tested and there is a hefty fine if a station is caught tampering with them.
He speaks the truth. Pretty regulated is an understatement.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:23 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

If you wanted to really check -

You could always stop in with a 5 gallon can with marked increments, and use the exact same pump and grade of fuel. If you pump 5 gallons on the screen and get less than that in the can, go call the commissioner's office and tell them the pump is faulty. Another way is to weigh the can once you have pumped it and see if it matches the weight of gas - 6# per gallon.

I figure sometimes you get shorted and sometimes you get away with some extra...

Does your car's gauge go through the bottom half of the tank quicker than the top half? Almost every car I own does that.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The only shorting I figure is typical is when you pump gas at a one-hose-for-all-grades pump (quite common), and get premium. you know the hose and pump are full of the lowest grade fuel, so you get a bit of that first. Hence its important to only fill up most of the tank to minimize the effect of the low grade fuel on the car.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:26 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
The only shorting I figure is typical is when you pump gas at a one-hose-for-all-grades pump (quite common), and get premium. you know the hose and pump are full of the lowest grade fuel, so you get a bit of that first. Hence its important to only fill up most of the tank to minimize the effect of the low grade fuel on the car.
I was told that the pump syphons the gas in the hose back to the station tank and there is no mixture.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Petroguy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is in fact a mix that he describes but it is minimal. You are talking about the amount from the nozzle to the inside of the pump and I am guessing a fifth of a gallon at most. Blenders in the pump pedestal actually blend premium and regular to make midgrade. This is hyper regulated as well. In Missouri, the "Division of Weights and Measures" is setup to do just this. They surprise test for accurate metering as well as octane multiple times per year. As they should.

Quick Reply: gas pump tricks