Sponsored by:

car groans under braking

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 12:47 PM
eroy2
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default car groans under braking

Saturday night got a weird whine out of my brakes at the stop sign closest to the house so didn't think much of it. Drove in to work this morning and the right rear sounds like it groans at low speed straight line braking. Haven't had the chance to diagnose yet but took a quick look in the parkade when I got in and nothing seems to be loose or leaking. I've got a 2005 C2S launch with PCCBs. It isn't the squeeling(already had that). I've had the winter wheels and tires on for a few weeks and wondering if the added weight may be a wheel bearing issue? But this would be more pronounced at speed which it isn't.

Any suggestions into what to look for would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 128 Posts

You suggest the whine is under braking, and not just the suspension or being driven?
Old 11-05-2012, 01:33 PM
eroy2
Intermediate

perfectly fine at highway speeds, just when coming to a stop through stop and go traffic. The whine is more a low deep groan from the right rear and only under braking, whatever the pressure is.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Braking alone or downshifting as well?
Old 11-05-2012, 02:38 PM
eroy2
Intermediate

just braking. clutch in or out.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Money Pit 951
Instructor

How old/worn are the tires? It sounds more like a tire noise then anything else. Under braking, you'll load up the tires even more and they can make more noise.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:54 PM
eroy2
Intermediate

brand new.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by eroy2
Saturday night got a weird whine out of my brakes at the stop sign closest to the house so didn't think much of it. Drove in to work this morning and the right rear sounds like it groans at low speed straight line braking. Haven't had the chance to diagnose yet but took a quick look in the parkade when I got in and nothing seems to be loose or leaking. I've got a 2005 C2S launch with PCCBs. It isn't the squeeling(already had that). I've had the winter wheels and tires on for a few weeks and wondering if the added weight may be a wheel bearing issue? But this would be more pronounced at speed which it isn't.

Any suggestions into what to look for would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Since brakes are a vital safety system I do not like to take chances, so I would urge you to have the car and its brakes checked out by a qualified tech.

If you want...first look carefully at the brake hardware.

Look for any signs of scoring or surface delamination or chips/flaked out areas.

Check for chips at the edges of the rotors.

Superficial cracks are ok. If material is coming out from between adjacent cracks (flaking) that's not ok.

Check any holes in the rotor are clear and free of build up. Check every one.

Feel the inner and outer rotor surfaces for any difference in texture or roughness. An overly smooth (glazed) or an overly rough (abraded) surface is suspect.

Look for excessive wear of the pads or rotor. Look for an excessive amount of dust or a difference in dust color. Since the dust will be light colored you may have to wipe various areas with clean white tissue and look at the dust under a bright light.

Be sure you examine the inner pads and rotor surface too. This is why it is best to just get the car to a tech cause he can lift the car up and look at this along with you if you can arrange to be there.

The wheels might have to be removed to make carefully checking the brake hardware easier and less likely to miss something.

What in short you are looking for is at the wheel with the noise anything brake related (at least for now) out of the ordinary. You have 3 other brakes to use for examples of what (very likely one hopes!) healthy looking brakes look like, feel like.

But the tech will also look at for instance the CV boots for any tears/splits and the transmission and if an AWD model the clutch case and the cardan shaft and front diff.

It could be a wheel bearing but it doesn't read like one. But if the tech finds no other explanation...

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

it's always hard to diagnose a "groan", "creak", "weird noise" etc since everyone will define those a bit differently. but I recently had what i describe as a creak/groan when braking (albeit only on the initial brake application after switching directions from fwd to reverse or vice versa) which turned out to be stripped caliper bolts. the creak/groan was the bolts backing out or moving in slightly while becoming more stripped.

regardless of what it is, get it checked out asap.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:10 AM
eroy2
Intermediate

thanks Macster. Checked everything over, no visual signs. Tried driving a little more aggressively this morning and no issues this morning or last night. I suspect it was just coated from the road salt from Saturday night. Will definitely be keeping a closer eye on it though.

Quick Reply: car groans under braking